The Student Room Group

Really stuck about which sixth form to go to... any help??

This poll is closed

Really stuck about which sixth form to go to...

Sixth Form 1 60%
Sixth Form 240%
Total votes: 5
It's less than a week till results day and I really don't know which to go to. I've got two options:

Sixth form 1 is at my current school which is a small school with just 50 in the sixth form and around 10 people per class meaning much more personal learning. I have done well at and have a few good friends at. I know the teachers there and would have the oppourtunity to do sport there and an engineering club which would look good on my CV. However the school takes anyone so some of the students don't work well which could affect others and it's result in general are not as good as my other choice. Also I would not be able to do one of my sujects here (geography and so would have to do biology instead).

Sixth form 2 is a grammar school which is further away and has around 600 people in the sixth form. This sixth form is much more formal and the learning more standardised with the pupils being tested and pushed more. There is a much larger variety of pupils here and the learning is more independent like a university aswell as the pupils being more motivated. However none of my friends are going there and it doesn't have as much sport and activities meaning I would have to do more things outside of school to put on my personal statement. Also my sister goes there and she was disappointed with her results even though they weren't that bad really and my parents want me to go here as they do not like the sixth form 1.

Any opinion on where to go would be awesome as I really don't have a clue where to go and I haven't got long to decide.
Original post by catchronicles
It's less than a week till results day and I really don't know which to go to. I've got two options:

Sixth form 1 is at my current school which is a small school with just 50 in the sixth form and around 10 people per class meaning much more personal learning. I have done well at and have a few good friends at. I know the teachers there and would have the oppourtunity to do sport there and an engineering club which would look good on my CV. However the school takes anyone so some of the students don't work well which could affect others and it's result in general are not as good as my other choice. Also I would not be able to do one of my sujects here (geography and so would have to do biology instead).

Sixth form 2 is a grammar school which is further away and has around 600 people in the sixth form. This sixth form is much more formal and the learning more standardised with the pupils being tested and pushed more. There is a much larger variety of pupils here and the learning is more independent like a university aswell as the pupils being more motivated. However none of my friends are going there and it doesn't have as much sport and activities meaning I would have to do more things outside of school to put on my personal statement. Also my sister goes there and she was disappointed with her results even though they weren't that bad really and my parents want me to go here as they do not like the sixth form 1.

Any opinion on where to go would be awesome as I really don't have a clue where to go and I haven't got long to decide.

From personal experience of attending a grammar school for the whole of secondary school including sixth form, I would advise you stick with Sixth form 1 (especially if you can keep yourself motivated and not be distracted by other students less willing to work) as I found that at my grammar school they cared much more about statistics than the individual, there was a great deal of emphasis on getting as high a grade as possible and it was often stressful. I can relate to your sister being disappointed with decent results as it was kind of drilled in to us that we should be getting As in our subjects. This was just my school i can't speak for all grammar schools so if it seems good to you then go for it, but if you are already at a school that you feel comfortable at, offers more extra curricular and has more personal learning i would suggest you stay there :smile:
Reply 2
Also from personal experience, would definitely go with sixth form 1, changing to a grammar school from personal experience works for some and not for others. Its a completely different environment and takes some getting used to. If youre comfortable with your original school and feel supported and happy where you are then it makes sense to stay there.
I would say sixth form 1! I went from a state to private (which isn't exactly a grammar but they do have their fair share of similarities), and left my friends behind. The school environment is completely different and generally the teachers care about grades and statistics for their department more than anything. Also, I found that at private school, when you struggle you generally stand alone - teachers really like to pamper the Oxbridge hopefuls and leave everyone else to trail behind. Sometimes it's easier to stick with what you know.

Quick Reply

Latest