The Student Room Group

I like a guy but he has a girlfriend, what do I do?

PLEASE NOTE: Okay so before I begin with this, I just want to make it very clear that this isn't a case of lust or the fantasy/thought of being with a guy who's taken. I'm the kind of person who is exceptionally close guarded when it comes to romance and relationships, and never thought I would EVER fall for a guy who has a girlfriend.:frown:

Well anyway, like the title of this thread, I am completely into and feel like I have a strong emotional connection with this guy. We've talked for quite a few months everyday now, and I'm at a point where the thought of not being able to get a chance with him is really starting to get to me. He's been with his girlfriend around 6-7 months, and I have total respect for that of course. I would never advance on him/make a move or even tell this guy about how I felt. Especially because I'm too scared of losing him as a close friend.

The thing is though, we can talk for hours without getting bored and engage in quite deep conversations. We get on so well and make each other laugh. As well as having a LOT of the same interests and opinions on things. We do flirt quite a bit and there are a few innuendos here and there, but nothing that would be considered cheating at all. The other thing is though, he hasn't mentioned his girlfriend once in any of our conversations ever. I remember there was a time where he was saying about some emotional distress he was having, but didn't really go into much detail about it. Could it be that him and his girlfriend were having problems? I'm not sure. He also doesn't seem the type of person to lead a girl on. There's also the whole "boys are mean to girls they like" apparent scenario going on. He says unintentionally mean things for a response, which I know he's joking about.

I'm really confused on how to act or what to do. It doesn't help that we're on the same course and have to see each other everyday, when all the while I'm just falling for him more and more. There are a lot of signals which shows he could like me as more than a friend but I really just don't know. We say how we trust each other and he does treat me differently to a lot of other people.
I know he wouldn't cheat and I would never put him in a position like that either!

But what do I do?
Do I wait? Because I feel like this is the kinda person who would be worth waiting for... I'm a very patient person, and was in an LDR with someone in another country for 3/4 years. It's not like I'm driven by only sexual intentions, and am really only interested in long term relationships. Or do I tell him or..? I really don't know..

Big thank you to those who read through all this! ^^
what do you do? nothing, obviously.
Nothing. Simples.

Normally you get on with your life and date around and meet someone else.

But if you can't but a lid on your infatuation (which is what it is) then you need to make a clean break from talking with him.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
PLEASE NOTE: Okay so before I begin with this, I just want to make it very clear that this isn't a case of lust or the fantasy/thought of being with a guy who's taken. I'm the kind of person who is exceptionally close guarded when it comes to romance and relationships, and never thought I would EVER fall for a guy who has a girlfriend.:frown:

Well anyway, like the title of this thread, I am completely into and feel like I have a strong emotional connection with this guy. We've talked for quite a few months everyday now, and I'm at a point where the thought of not being able to get a chance with him is really starting to get to me. He's been with his girlfriend around 6-7 months, and I have total respect for that of course. I would never advance on him/make a move or even tell this guy about how I felt. Especially because I'm too scared of losing him as a close friend.

The thing is though, we can talk for hours without getting bored and engage in quite deep conversations. We get on so well and make each other laugh. As well as having a LOT of the same interests and opinions on things. We do flirt quite a bit and there are a few innuendos here and there, but nothing that would be considered cheating at all. The other thing is though, he hasn't mentioned his girlfriend once in any of our conversations ever. I remember there was a time where he was saying about some emotional distress he was having, but didn't really go into much detail about it. Could it be that him and his girlfriend were having problems? I'm not sure. He also doesn't seem the type of person to lead a girl on. There's also the whole "boys are mean to girls they like" apparent scenario going on. He says unintentionally mean things for a response, which I know he's joking about.

I'm really confused on how to act or what to do. It doesn't help that we're on the same course and have to see each other everyday, when all the while I'm just falling for him more and more. There are a lot of signals which shows he could like me as more than a friend but I really just don't know. We say how we trust each other and he does treat me differently to a lot of other people.
I know he wouldn't cheat and I would never put him in a position like that either!

But what do I do?
Do I wait? Because I feel like this is the kinda person who would be worth waiting for... I'm a very patient person, and was in an LDR with someone in another country for 3/4 years. It's not like I'm driven by only sexual intentions, and am really only interested in long term relationships. Or do I tell him or..? I really don't know..

Most people on TSR will tell you to either "do nothing" or "stop having such close contact with him", believing that they are humans with exceptionally high moral values - but you already knew that.

The truth is that people have girlfriends and boyfriends for many different reasons - some just want lots of sex, some want to feel valued, some rely on them emotionally / financially and some want to be soul mates where they rock 20 kids and a few dogs.

The real question is: what do you believe in? Do you believe that each person on the planet was destined to be with one perfect person? What if he had met you before he met his girlfriend? What if you'd have expressed your interest in him before he started going out with his girlfriend? Just because she met him first or put the moves on him first, does that mean she is entitled to him forever? Even if he comes across somebody else who is obviously a better match?

What I'm trying to say is, relationships shouldn't be governed by the laws of time (who you met first), you should go out with whoever is the best match for you (weather you want sex, money or 50 kids). If you are a better match for him than his girlfriend (in both yours and his opinion) then you should try to go out with him (obviously). If he likes you more than his girlfriend, then it's unfair on her anyways (weather you go out with him or not).
(edited 9 years ago)

But what do I do?

That's a bad situation. Are you in the same circumstances as him (with somebody) or are you just on your own?
Yes, I agree a lot with the omega3. If it was just a crush obvs you should back off, but if it's something deep and meaningful that could last, tell him. Especially if you think he may feel the same way. For all you know, he's not happy in his relationship, or he wants to be with you but wouldn't tell you because he thinks you don't feel the same.
Life's too short to leave things unsaid.
EDIT: plus, if he doesn't like you it just gets a little awks for you and him, but he can stay with his gf and no damage will be done. If he likes you, he shouldn't be with his gf and it's unfair to her for him to remain with her
(edited 9 years ago)
If you do decide to pursue him, please don't become 'that girl' if he tries to be non-committal to you, whilst re-assuring you that he'll break up with his girlfriend at some point...
Don't agree with people saying you should say something because it is "meaningful" or "life is too short".
If he did not want to be with his girlfriend, he would not be. Simple. To me even the idea of thinking of a guy who is taken in the way you are is a little wrong, however I do realise it must be difficult for you. Just accept your (current) fate and hopefully someone else will come along.
Reply 8
Original post by Merlot-Onous
Don't agree with people saying you should say something because it is "meaningful" or "life is too short".
If he did not want to be with his girlfriend, he would not be. Simple. To me even the idea of thinking of a guy who is taken in the way you are is a little wrong, however I do realise it must be difficult for you. Just accept your (current) fate and hopefully someone else will come along.

You 14?

I know loads of people that are with their partners because they are the best thing around at the time. They just prefer a relationship with someone they don't really like that much rather than not having a relationship at all
Original post by Omega3!
You 14?

I know loads of people that are with their partners because they are the best thing around at the time. They just prefer a relationship with someone they don't really like that much rather than not having a relationship at all

No

Well i pity the people you know like that.
The rest still stands though, look somewhere else for someone.

But what do I do?

Just continue being close friends. If he one day realises that he's with the wrong person then that is the time he might do something about it. He may love her so you may just have to be friends. At least you have what you've got now. Try and find someone you love, i had the same thoughts as you for a really good honest girl, but she wasn't wanting anything more. We even went on holiday together but nothing happened we were just good friends, i didn't want anything sexual to happen anyway. I see things a bit differently in terms of sex.
you'l probably meet hundreds of people who you can talk to for hours without getting bored and have deep conversations with throughout your life.
Reply 12
It's a little bit concerning he talks with you for hours, EVERYDAY - because where does he find time to talk to his gf or does he talk with her less than he talks with you..... Also, personally I'd never go for someone like this - he should know better that if he doesn't like his gf he should break up with her. You could own up to him - it could go either way: things could become awkward if he doesn't feel the same OR things could work your way and then he'd dump her for you. The latter one though, most likely will come back to hit you though too. :smile:
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
If you do decide to pursue him, please don't become 'that girl' if he tries to be non-committal to you, whilst re-assuring you that he'll break up with his girlfriend at some point...

Agree with this though.
Original post by Merlot-Onous

He met her, liked her and dated her. That doesn't mean that someone better for him can never come along. People have plenty of reasons to m stay with someone, habit, they were the best thing at the time (as another poster said), not wanting to risk being alone, companionship etc. It's really not as simplistic as you view it.
And anyway, if he is with his gf because, as you said, he wants only her, then great, he'll reject OP and remain in a happy relationship.
Leave him alone. He's taken.

But what do I do?

If he felt the same way, he would have dumped her for you, so don't wait. Find a single available person who deserves you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending