The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Pre-freshers Earth Sciences Trip 2014

Hello :biggrin:, I just thought I would make this thread to get to know other students who are going on the pre-freshers field trip this year. I'm a little nervous because I don't know anyone going to Bristol but I'm sure most of you are probably in the same boat. So, how are you guys? How many people we got here? Are you thinking of putting your luggage for your room in accommodation before you leave for the trip or afterwards?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I sent my form off yesterday. I don't know anyone else going either but I think most people will be in the same situation. I was just planning on bringing a weekend bag and then moving in when we get back. :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I have finally found a thread! I am definitely going to the field trip, so I should probably send my form off...Yeah don't worry about not knowing anyone, I don't and it's just one of those things you have to go through :smile: Have any of you started on the Maths Primer? Because it freaked me out...and then I started doing it and discovered that loads of answers in the back are wrong !!

Also, when I find out where I will be staying I'm going to ask if I can move my stuff in on that Thursday so that when I get back from the trip it will all be done :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Irelia
Hi I sent my form off yesterday. I don't know anyone else going either but I think most people will be in the same situation. I was just planning on bringing a weekend bag and then moving in when we get back. :smile:

I still haven't sent off my form, I better get to it soon. I want to move my stuff in straight away if I can but I'm worried about leaving my laptop for the weekend there (probably a bit paranoid of me, but to be fair I only just got it:s-smilie:).

Original post by Shannon10
I have finally found a thread! I am definitely going to the field trip, so I should probably send my form off...Yeah don't worry about not knowing anyone, I don't and it's just one of those things you have to go through :smile: Have any of you started on the Maths Primer? Because it freaked me out...and then I started doing it and discovered that loads of answers in the back are wrong !!

Also, when I find out where I will be staying I'm going to ask if I can move my stuff in on that Thursday so that when I get back from the trip it will all be done :smile:

I started the Maths Primer, and I'm glad it's not just me finding some of the answers wrong (I thought I must be doing something wrong at first, but for example, the pH question, no matter how I put the formula it wouldn't match up with the answer at the back of the book!:confused:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah I have yet to do that, I'm working full time at the moment so struggling to find time for it, do it During my lunch breaks and on the train..I havnt done maths since gcse either so I'm finding the fact that there are so many errors particularly annoying !
Reply 5
I'm so glad you mentioned the mistakes I was really worried I was just going horribly wrong! :smile:
I'm sure if you contact the accommodation they'll let you move your stuff in early.
Do we need to bring anything specific with us for the trip or just normal walking stuff?
Reply 6
Yeah I'm sure they will be relaxed about it! I'm not moving from very far so at the end of the day it won't be a problem :P
Yeah, maybe bring the compass kind of things they have told us to buy with, else I'm just bringing my waterproofs!

Yeah I was asking people at work (they are all geologists) and they were like yeah that doesn't make any sense. Then the one guy said not to worry about it because they are just trying to panic us etc...this paper isn't the end of the day, and I havnt done maths since GCSEs ! Will work through it though :smile:
Reply 7
Waterproofs and compass it is :smile:
I'm trying to do a little bit each otherwise I know I'll end up leaving it all to the last minute :/
Reply 8
Haha yeah, same ! Would be awful to do the night before ! Makes it better spreading it out too :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah I'm sure they will be relaxed about it! I'm not moving from very far so at the end of the day it won't be a problem :P
Yeah, maybe bring the compass kind of things they have told us to buy with, else I'm just bringing my waterproofs!

Yeah I was asking people at work (they are all geologists) and they were like yeah that doesn't make any sense. Then the one guy said not to worry about it because they are just trying to panic us etc...this paper isn't the end of the day, and I havnt done maths since GCSEs ! Will work through it though :smile:

By waterproofs do you mean a raincoat or like the full suit (waterproof trousers and coat)? I guess until I know about the weather on the day, I won't know what to wear - I think I'm going to turn up in normal clothes and put waterproof stuff in a bag until we get there. I've got to invest in waterproof clothing, all I've currently got is a black hoodless raincoat, which needless to say isn't particularly good at keeping the water out:s-smilie:.

And about stuff we need to take with us, I assume that we won't be able to pick up our geology/geoscience kits until after the trip - either that or they'll be handed out to us on the day. If its the first of the two options then they must provide equipment for the two days so I'm not too worried. Anyone else a bit annoyed with the price all the stuff is going to cost? 120 quid for the gear kit and then around 110quid for books at least (i'm doing joint honours so I've got to buy another 100quids worth of books on top of that:mad:)
Reply 10
I was planning on taking waterproofs (jacket and trousers) and going in normal clothes.
Is the equipment cheaper from else where?
I havnt actually looked.though you can get cheap things like the hard hat, high vis and googled from like B&Q. My boss gave me his compass and magnifying glass. Grade cardsd should be cheap as well as a lab coat if you troll eBay. Acid bottles I'm going to order...
*Typing on my phone, sorry for the errors..

8Goggles, not googled..
Reply 13
I havnt actually looked.though you can get cheap things like the hard hat, high vis and googled from like B&Q. My boss gave me his compass and magnifying glass. Grade cardsd should be cheap as well as a lab coat if you troll eBay. Acid bottles I'm going to order...

I'm doing straight geology so I don't need a lab coat which happens to be the only item from the list I have :/
But I'll have a look for the other stuff.
haha, well can I buy it from you? Maybe...
I'm doing Environmental Geoscience :smile:
Reply 15
And I didn't even notice the errors :tongue:
Original post by Irelia
I'm doing straight geology so I don't need a lab coat which happens to be the only item from the list I have :/
But I'll have a look for the other stuff.

I'll have a look on the internet first. and I may get one from a friend actually. :smile:
Reply 17
I just had a look I actually have no idea where it is :/
although I know you can get them for £10 or less online
Original post by Irelia
I just had a look I actually have no idea where it is :/
although I know you can get them for £10 or less online

That's totally fine, online will do! My friend is interning at an engineering firm and is going to try and get me one from there teehee
Reply 19
Good plan :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending