The Student Room Group

Getting evidence/certificates of old GCSE's (about 6 years ago) for application

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience of getting hold of your old GCSE results for applying to uni?

I did mine about 6 years ago and with my terrible admin I've lost the original certificate.

I cant remember which exam board it was, which i think matters? And I dont think the school will have kept a copy.

Do I need the actual certificate? What is people's experiences with this sort of thing, whether its GCSE or A level etc? Do you find the unis tend to want a hard copy or can they get the information from somewhere else?

The UK gov loves statistics, surely theres a database somewhere!
Reply 1
I looked into it last year and you need to go to the exam board and pay for replacements :smile:.

I tried all ways and it really is the only option I found.
Reply 2
Original post by Tom_91
I looked into it last year and you need to go to the exam board and pay for replacements :smile:.

I tried all ways and it really is the only option I found.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I'll email the school I went to and try and find out which exam board it was.

cheers again.
Reply 3
It can be expensive depending on how many certificated you need but good luck :smile:.
Reply 4
Hi,

I had this problem too. Threw out my GCSE certificates during a house move thinking I'd never need them. 10 years later, needed them to confirm my place at uni. Nightmare.

You can only get replacements if they were stolen. Otherwise you need to apply for a certificate of representation from each exam board instead. Best thing to do is to contact your school, as you said, to find out which exam boards you took the tests with. If, like me, you get no response then you'll need to apply to each exam board to do a search at around £50 a go.

Some exam boards will give you your money back if they don't find any of your records so it's best to start with those before moving on to ones who will keep your money regardless.
Are you sure your school won't have them still? I called them up after 9 years to ask and it turns out they still had them, and they sent them to me in the mail.
Reply 6
Original post by Frankston
Are you sure your school won't have them still? I called them up after 9 years to ask and it turns out they still had them, and they sent them to me in the mail.

It's worth checking but I think your case is a rarity. As far as I know you have to go directly to the exam board in question.
Reply 7
Yep email or ring the school, if no use then contact your local council as they should have a record of what exam board that scholl was using at the time, any friends you may still be in contact with may have there exam papers and you can find out the ecam board. Failing those it is a case of contacting each exam board at a cost.
After 23 year I am lucky my mum still keep them.
Reply 8
UPDATE,

Thanks for all the replies guys :smile:

So I emailed the school today, and got a response back today with a pdf attachment with all my results in a format which seems to remind me of what I got back then, so hopefully that will suffice.
Reply 9
Original post by tim_123
UPDATE,

Thanks for all the replies guys :smile:

So I emailed the school today, and got a response back today with a pdf attachment with all my results in a format which seems to remind me of what I got back then, so hopefully that will suffice.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :smile:
Reply 10
Cheers @Andiexxx!

Sounds like what you went through was a complete nightmare!

If only I'd listened to my parents when I was 16 and kept all my records! who knew haha
The college would only accept certificates. So I had to fork out. It was about £40 for each exam board. I only bothered with the 2 that had my maths and English on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending