The Student Room Group

I need to know this asap!!

I'm in the middle of choosing whether to do educational studies at University or Linguistics. You see, I want to become an English teacher in a foreign country...:smile: Initially, I stuck to applying for the linguistics course but all the subjects 'preferred' are English language, Maths and a Science. I took English Literature, French, Psychology and Philosophy&Ethics for AS level and none of my subjects are part of the 'preferred' list. I love languages and the scientific side to human language but I suck at Maths and I'm only decent in chemistry but i wasn't interested in the subject so I didn't take it! If I had known that it was a preference...I would have taken it...too late now:frown:
Anyway, my question is...if you don't take any of the subjects that the uni prefers for your course, are you at a disadvantage? Will it be harder for you to get an offer from that course? ...This is why I researched on doing Educational studies as Plan B haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 96parkj2
I'm in the middle of choosing whether to do educational studies at University or Linguistics. You see, I want to become an English teacher in a foreign country...:smile: Initially, I stuck to applying for the linguistics course but all the subjects 'preferred' are English language, Maths and a Science. I took English Literature, French, Psychology and Philosophy&Ethics for AS level and none of my subjects are part of the 'preferred' list. I love languages and the scientific side to human language but I suck at Maths and I'm only decent in chemistry but i wasn't interested in the subject so I didn't take it! If I had known that it was a preference...I would have taken it...too late now:frown:
Anyway, my question is...if you don't take any of the subjects that the uni prefers for your course, are you at a disadvantage? Will it be harder for you to get an offer from that course? ...This is why I researched on doing Educational studies as Plan B haha

Phone the universities and ask them, explain your situation to them and they will be really helpful. Also speak to teachers at school. But yes, if you don't have the preferred subjects you will be at a disadvantage. You will probably still get offers if you have good AS results and good A2 predictions. However you will not have the best chance if you miss the grades at A2. If you stick to these A levels and do really well in those, I don't think you'd have a problem.
Reply 2
Hi, I don't know if you've looked at them yet but there are a lot of unis without this requirement, doing a quick search, I found York, UCL, Manchester and Man Met to be a few. Also, at some unis, Psychology may be classed as a science so it's worth checking :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jwf13
Hi, I don't know if you've looked at them yet but there are a lot of unis without this requirement, doing a quick search, I found York, UCL, Manchester and Man Met to be a few. Also, at some unis, Psychology may be classed as a science so it's worth checking :smile:

I want to apply for UCL!! Thank you! So, UCL doesn't take it as a disavantage?
Reply 4
The link: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/ubalinsing05

It says English, Maths or Science preferred, and if Psychology counts as a science you meet both of those? To be sure check the link :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest