The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which Cardiff accommodation is spacious, nice, quiet (ish)?

Hiiii,

I was lucky enough to get my first choice accommodation - Talybont South. However, over the summer my situation has changed: I've been quite ill with stress/anxiety-related stuff and the thought of moving to one of the most busy and social halls in September is not good! It's looking like I might have the option to move somewhere else, quieter with fewer people and preferably a bit more spacious/not as crowded feeling as Taly South just to make my transition from home to uni a bit less daunting haha :smile: I know freshers will inevitably be pretty loud and busy everywhere but I'd like somewhere that will be a bit quieter with less going on compared to other residences especially when the workload begins properly, and that won't constantly be a thoroughfare for people going out :P

The residences office people have asked me to email them with a list of places I'd be happy to go into, so I was wondering where you think would be good to go?

I'm 18 and female if that helps at all, I'd like to stay as close to the Taly South price (3927) as possible and stay with an ensuite if possible but it isn't too big a worry :smile: I'm thinking Talybont Court, University Hall and Liberty House all look quite good, what are people's thoughts on those in terms of noise and how social they are?

Thanks! :biggrin: :smile:
Reply 1
Hello :smile:, first of all, welcome to Cardiff! I'm sure that you're going to have an amazing time :smile:. I could not comment on Liberty House as I've never been there, but can give a bit of background on the others :smile:.

Talybont Court: This is the most expensive (at least, I think it is) hall at Cardiff University and is much smaller as a whole compare to Talybont South BUT all of the Talybont halls are in a row, so you won't really have moved far from Talybont South (Taly campus is Taly Court-Taly South-Taly North and Taly Gate all next to each other), so considering that Taly South is not for you, I probably wouldn't recomment Taly Court. On the plus side, being the most expensive, it is the nicest, but has the reputation for rich kids basically :P.

University Hall: The type of room you get is highly dependent on the block, Tower has ensuite toilets but most of the others do not. However, if this is not an issue, then University Hall may be a better option. Ty Gwyn (a block in Uni Hall) has much bigger rooms that Talybont South (probably due to there being no ensuite), but the downside is that University Hall is a 30 minute walk from the University. However, there is a free bus service that the University runs to Aberconway, the SU and the Engineering building which is very useful (it also runs to most exam venues which is extremely useful come exam time).

Aberconway Hall: I will briefly mention this as it's a much smaller and quieter hall, but I've never been inside so cannot comment on the space inside etc. But might be worth a look if neither of the other two are desirable :smile:.

Hope that helps!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
I'm pretty sure that University Hall is the second largest accommodation, but if you look at a map of it it's split into lots of different buildings - there's a tower block and a row of house-type things and stuff like that. I'm staying in Dwyfor, which seems nice and is en-suite. From what I've seen from photos the rooms/kitchens seem pretty big, too. :smile:

I'm sorry I can't give you any first-hand advice, I'm going into first year, too. I also have anxiety, though, so if you ever need someone to talk to about that feel free to message me.

Good luck finding somewhere! :smile:
I lived in Senghennydd Hall last year and it's a very quiet hall. There are only around 100 people there, it's also part-catered. I didn't have one sleepless night outside of Fresher's Week. It's also very close to the Cathays Campus and the town centre.
DM me if you would like any more info :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by fursey
Hello :smile:, first of all, welcome to Cardiff! I'm sure that you're going to have an amazing time :smile:. I could not comment on Liberty House as I've never been there, but can give a bit of background on the others :smile:.

Talybont Court: This is the most expensive (at least, I think it is) hall at Cardiff University and is much smaller as a whole compare to Talybont South BUT all of the Talybont halls are in a row, so you won't really have moved far from Talybont South (Taly campus is Taly Court-Taly South-Taly North and Taly Gate all next to each other), so considering that Taly South is not for you, I probably wouldn't recomment Taly Court. On the plus side, being the most expensive, it is the nicest, but has the reputation for rich kids basically :P.

University Hall: The type of room you get is highly dependent on the block, Tower has ensuite toilets but most of the others do not. However, if this is not an issue, then University Hall may be a better option. Ty Gwyn (a block in Uni Hall) has much bigger rooms that Talybont South (probably due to there being no ensuite), but the downside is that University Hall is a 30 minute walk from the University. However, there is a free bus service that the University runs to Aberconway, the SU and the Engineering building which is very useful (it also runs to most exam venues which is extremely useful come exam time).

Aberconway Hall: I will briefly mention this as it's a much smaller and quieter hall, but I've never been inside so cannot comment on the space inside etc. But might be worth a look if neither of the other two are desirable :smile:.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the help everyone! I decided against the ones I originally liked the sound of because I agree, they are still pretty big haha... I put down Aberconway, Aberdare, Cartwright Court and Gordon Hall in the end and ended up in Cartwright Court which looks good to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by HibbsicleBean19
I lived in Senghennydd Hall last year and it's a very quiet hall. There are only around 100 people there, it's also part-catered. I didn't have one sleepless night outside of Fresher's Week. It's also very close to the Cathays Campus and the town centre.
DM me if you would like any more info :smile:

Did everybody go for the 1-meal-a-day every day or was it not a popular choice.
Original post by Owene7317
Did everybody go for the 1-meal-a-day every day or was it not a popular choice.

Hey, sorry only just seen this!
Everyone in my flat had the meal option. We went most nights at the start of the year but obviously around exam time people want to eat when they want. There is quite a lot of choice in the food there so usually something for everyone :smile:
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending