The Student Room Group

Switching from AQA AS Maths to A2 Edexcel maths

I've currently finished my AS year and I'm going to be moving to another college for A2. I've done AQA Maths but the college I'm going to offers Edexcel maths.

Are there a lot of differences between what is taught in both boards or is it manageable, so that I can carry on with A2 without looking back at the topics taught at AS for edexcel. I don't want to be struggling with Maths since I feel as if it's one subject I know I can do well in, well that's how I thought before switching over so I am doubtful now.

Any help is welcome, thanks in advance.
Original post by Trainz
I've currently finished my AS year and I'm going to be moving to another college for A2. I've done AQA Maths but the college I'm going to offers Edexcel maths.

Are there a lot of differences between what is taught in both boards or is it manageable, so that I can carry on with A2 without looking back at the topics taught at AS for edexcel. I don't want to be struggling with Maths since I feel as if it's one subject I know I can do well in, well that's how I thought before switching over so I am doubtful now.

I'm not sure this is technically possible...?

I may be wrong. I know schools can sometimes change their whole cohort within a whole year if they have a good reason for it. But I'm unsure whether an individual can be entered for A2 and A-level results without having done the AS modules.

I might be wrong with the individual though.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I'm not sure this is technically possible...?

I may be wrong. I know schools can sometimes change their whole cohort within a whole year if they have a good reason for it. But I'm unsure whether an individual can be entered for A2 and A-level results without having done the AS modules.

I might be wrong with the individual though.

It is possible, because I did the same converting from WJEC to Edexcel. There are unlikely to be many (if any) crossovers between AS and A2 in Core modules (there will between C1 and C2 and then C3 and C4 but probably not C2 and C3), there may be in Applied modules (if you're doing S1/S2, M1/M2 or D1/D2).
Original post by Trainz

You cannot switch exam board between AS and A2. In order to complete Maths A level at your new college you would have to do both Edexcel AS and A2 in one year. The content is unlikely to be too different, but doing the entire A level in one year will be difficult regardless.

Is there any way you could either stay at the same college or find an independent centre to take A2 AQA Maths?
Original post by O133
It is possible, because I did the same converting from WJEC to Edexcel. There are unlikely to be many (if any) crossovers between AS and A2 in Core modules (there will between C1 and C2 and then C3 and C4 but probably not C2 and C3), there may be in Applied modules (if you're doing S1/S2, M1/M2 or D1/D2).

What subject was that with? I know with most humanities' and arts it's not easily possibly.

No, you are right there won't be many crossovers - A2 is step up development from AS, so it's just furthering your understanding from AS.

I don't take Maths. However, you won't do Applied Modules in AS without having done them at A2. So if your teacher/HoD knows that you haven't done applied modules, they will not enter you for that module because you would need to have done the applied modules at AS in order to do them at A2 and get a qualification in that specific maths A-level.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What subject was that with? I know with most humanities' and arts it's not easily possibly.

No, you are right there won't be many crossovers - A2 is step up development from AS, so it's just furthering your understanding from AS.

I don't take Maths. However, you won't do Applied Modules in AS without having done them at A2. So if your teacher/HoD knows that you haven't done applied modules, they will not enter you for that module because you would need to have done the applied modules at AS in order to do them at A2 and get a qualification in that specific maths A-level.

This was Maths.

Not sure I understand what you're talking about with the Applied modules though.
Original post by O133
This was Maths.

Not sure I understand what you're talking about with the Applied modules though.

Okay let's see if I can break it down. So for instance you have different Math A-level. For instance; Mechanics, Core, Further and etc.

To get a Core Maths (normal Maths) A-level you need to take C1, C2, C3, C4 plus any 2 of the applied modules: one at AS (S1) and another at A2 (S2) etc.

However, in order to receive the Core Maths A-level, you would need to be entered for those modules I mentioned above to receive the Maths (Core) A-level.

If you didn't take S1 or S2 at your previous college and the new one requires you to do it for A2, you will have to study both Statistic modules in order to to receive the Core Maths A-level from that examination board.

Different examination boards have different module combinations for their specific Maths A-level. Their specifications in Maths is classed as one big one, but it is then divided by 3-5 separate "Maths"; Core, Further, (some specs say Pure instead of Core), Statistics, Decision and Mechanics.

For instance I could say "I have an A-level in Maths". You can say the same thing, however I can say "well even though it says Maths on paper, I actually did M1, M2, M3 and M4 with C1 and C2". Which is an A-level in [Mechanic] Maths because I have done all the Mechanic modules more than any other module from the exam board. You could say "I did D1, D2, D3, D4 with M1 and M2" Which would mean you have an A-level Maths in [Decision] Maths because you did all the modules in Decision than any other Math module the spec offers and vice versa.

So it all depends on what applied modules you did at your old school to that of your new school. So you could have studied S1 and S2 at your old school and study S2 and S3 for example at A2 in your new school because that's the combination of Maths they teach. So you could be taught the same thing at A2 with having to study S2, which you could have done at your old school at AS.

I really hope this all makes sense and I haven't confused you.
Just a note, C1-4 are compulsory modules so you can't do C1-2 and M1-4, for example, and get a full A-level (C1/C2/M1 is an AS but you then have a load of useless Mechanics modules). Also you can only do Applied modules 1 and 2 for Maths A-level (and only Applied modules 1 for AS), higher numbers can only count for Further or Further Additional Maths.

The only possible combinations are:
C1/C2/C3/C4/M1/M2
C1/C2/C3/C4/S1/S2
C1/C2/C3/C4/D1/D2
C1/C2/C3/C4/M1/S1
C1/C2/C3/C4/S1/D1
C1/C2/C3/C4/M1/D1

Quick Reply

Latest