When did you get a car? Watch

Joeey009
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How soon after you passed your driving test did you buy a car?
I passed in February so its been like 7 months and i still haven't got a car im planning to buy a BMW 1 series 2.0 litre in around 2 months time,
Will the engine size be too big for me to handle? I learned to drive in a Vauxhall Corsa Diesel and Ford Fiesta Petrol don't really know the engine sizes.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My first car came 1 month after I had passed my test, it was a 3.0l, I didn't think it was a problem then.

BMW 1-series 2.0l shouldn't be a problem as long as you can afford the insurance which I am guessing will be fairly steep.

If you do end up getting one then you should probably learn to drive it properly before going all out with it.
xmertic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joeey009)
I passed in February so its been like 7 months and i still haven't got a car im planning to buy a BMW 1 series 2.0 litre in around 2 months time,
Will the engine size be too big for me to handle? I learned to drive in a Vauxhall Corsa Diesel and Ford Fiesta Petrol don't really know the engine sizes.
I passed Feb 13th this year, bought a car by late Feb early March and was insured and started driving exactly a month after I'd passed
snikutsmullac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got my car two weeks before I took my test, so I had it ready to go as soon as I passed.

I don't think it should make too much difference.
Joeey009
Rep:
?
Im getting a quote of £2.6k from ingenie which i dont think is alot compared to the others which come at around 4-6k on the same compression site.
If i do get that i obviously won't be doing mad miles ill get used to the car for a couple of weeks.
I was looking at the new style vauxhall astra but i see soo many people outside driving them.
K-Nitro
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im getting a quote of £2.6k from ingenie which i dont think is alot compared to the others which come at around 4-6k on the same compression site.
If i do get that i obviously won't be doing mad miles ill get used to the car for a couple of weeks.
I was looking at the new style vauxhall astra but i see soo many people outside driving them.
Insurance is gonna be a buttload for you regardless due to the car you're getting, but I'd avoid getting a black box if you can. My friend's classmate got one and it pretty restricting on how he drives. He gets points docked from his score for things you'd probably end up doing a lot more than you'd like as a new driver (sharp braking, sharp accelerating and cornering too quickly mainly)

I'd love to drive a BM 1 series tbh, but not if I was being watched by the telematics people

And to answer the question I got my car a little under a month after passing, was really fortunate because my cousin's friend was selling her car, and it's pretty much been perfect so far
h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are like 180hp which is quite fast as most new drivers get a slow 90hp car.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bought my first car when I was 16. Then I spent the next year and a half putting it back together!
wozzaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bought my car before I passed, actually took my test in my own car.

I got a laugh in the test centre car park, pulled the L plates off straight away. Then headed home via the motorway.
Joeey009
Rep:
?
(Original post by K-Nitro)
Insurance is gonna be a buttload for you regardless due to the car you're getting, but I'd avoid getting a black box if you can. My friend's classmate got one and it pretty restricting on how he drives. He gets points docked from his score for things you'd probably end up doing a lot more than you'd like as a new driver (sharp braking, sharp accelerating and cornering too quickly mainly)

I'd love to drive a BM 1 series tbh, but not if I was being watched by the telematics people

And to answer the question I got my car a little under a month after passing, was really fortunate because my cousin's friend was selling her car, and it's pretty much been perfect so far
Might seem stupid but i want to get a blackbox insurance so i can remind myself not to go over speed limits as im being watched.
xx-Samantha-xx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bought my car 3 days after failing my first test....( i'd been hoping to pass and had committed to buying it before the test)...but i can learn about the car and hopefully when i pass the second time its already taxed and insured (provisionally) .

I moved it a little the other day and having been used to my instructors 1.4L diesel for the last so many months i was surprised by the difference in power just by moving my car with it being a 2L diesel
ruthlessv
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
4 months after passing, 18th birthday, £800 odd quid insurance - boom
Stinkum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Two months.

"Will the engine size be too big for me to handle?" - ...what? No such thing as too big to handle. You're not going to be driving a truck or a lorry here, so 2 litres is excellent and should serve you well. The bigger the engine, the better the car's performance (usually).
nemothefish19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Passed in Feb '13, got my car a year later in March '14

Wasn't too fussed that I had to wait a year as I didn't need one at the time.
outlaw-torn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Passed my test in July 2010, got my car in June 2014. Never really needed a car until now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SyedAreYouDumb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The saying is that if you learnt how to drive, you can drive any car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a car a week after I passed my test. The engine is not the problem, it's your insurance you should worry about because of how big the engine
bimpstar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3 weeks after I passed
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a car about 3 weeks after passing my test
Pies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The best part of 6 years... I passed in 2008 and have just got my first car, I couldn't afford/didn't need one until now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (468)
66.76%
No (233)
33.24%

Watched Threads