Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Biology OCR
History AQA
English Literature AQA B
Philosophy and Ethics of Religion OCR

History - Vietnam and USA is one of my topics

English Literature - Enduring Love, Much Ado About Nothing, Importance of Being Earnest and The Great Gatsby.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JayJay-C19)
Biology OCR
History AQA
English Literature AQA B

English Literature - Enduring Love, Much Ado About Nothing, Importance of Being Earnest and The Great Gatsby.
Heya, it might be worth making a separate thread in each of the subject forums to get some responses about this :yy:
Zarah01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Biology OCR
History AQA
English Literature AQA B

I did english lit b, and did exactly the same texts as you're doing. The coursework is quite easy and very doable, the exam was harder but if you properly prepare you'll be fine. At AS level its not too difficult, A2 is a struggle tho but maybe thats just me :dontknow: p.s enduring love sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Biology OCR
History AQA
English Literature AQA B

I only have experience of Biology OCR and even though I got an A in it (just) I'd say the course is very unorganised and the exam is very weird in their mark schemes... Good luck!
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did OCR Biology. My school switched up the course so we learn the first topic of the second exam first, and now I look back it was very much worth it. Biological Molecules is very chemistry-heavy, and is about as twice as long as all the other topics. Make sure you read ahead, and keep on top of your workload when you get to it.
JayJay-C19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Thanks you guys.
LividLion
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Biology OCR
History AQA
English Literature AQA B

In my experience, I find that AQA are quite harsh with their marking of the papers at A-level. I have a few friends that are currently doing AQA History (It's a hard A-level to get into at my school) and they claim that it's a tremendous time sink. The amount of reading and writing is unparalleled to that of GCSE (If you have done that) however if you have a keen interest in the subject, anything is possible.

Generally essay based subjects difficultly are subjective, if you have an interest in History and find that your competent in terms of English, then you'll enjoy the subject much more than someone who isn't a fan of history. And in such, perform much better.

Going into my AS year, I researched the subjects I chose intensively and if I was certain I'd choose them, then I looked at past papers and specifications. It makes it more manageable having an idea of what to expect throughout the year initially and it'll show you if you're interested in the subjects on the spec, and if that's the case, learning will be fun.

I wish you the best of luck in your AS year!
JayJay-C19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by LividLion)
In my experience, I find that AQA are quite harsh with their marking of the papers at A-level. I have a few friends that are currently doing AQA History (It's a hard A-level to get into at my school) and they claim that it's a tremendous time sink. The amount of reading and writing is unparalleled to that of GCSE (If you have done that) however if you have a keen interest in the subject, anything is possible.

Generally essay based subjects difficultly are subjective, if you have an interest in History and find that your competent in terms of English, then you'll enjoy the subject much more than someone who isn't a fan of history. And in such, perform much better.

Going into my AS year, I researched the subjects I chose intensively and if I was certain I'd choose them, then I looked at past papers and specifications. It makes it more manageable having an idea of what to expect throughout the year initially and it'll show you if you're interested in the subjects on the spec, and if that's the case, learning will be fun.

I wish you the best of luck in your AS year!
Thank you. It's just difficult because the History course hasn't been SET as such, like we're unsure of what we're doing whereas English is definite.

I'm worried about the amount of reading even though they're my strongest subjects; I got an A in Literature at GCSE.
LividLion
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you. It's just difficult because the History course hasn't been SET as such, like we're unsure of what we're doing whereas English is definite.

I'm worried about the amount of reading even though they're my strongest subjects; I got an A in Literature at GCSE.
Here's the spec for History - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...40-W-SP-14.PDF

Again, I've never studied the subject so I'm not entirely sure how it works, I'm just close with people who discuss it frequently.

If it's a big concern (As in if you're unsure whether you want to do history or not) you'll need to ask your teacher what exactly they plan to teach, you can even ask them to go over the spec with you, it is their job to help.

I'm sure you've head it a thousand times, but the step up from GCSE to A-Level is surreal. An A's worth of effort at GCSE could be worth a C/D at A-level (In my experience at least)

The reading shouldn't be a concern if you enjoy what you're reading. There will always be things you dislike in the subject but if you enjoy learning about history for the most part, you'll find the knowledge and understanding will just come due to your interest in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads