Leeds/UCL medicine applicants 2015

Watch this thread
JMJ_1996
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have become interested in taking the BMAT as I quite like the look of both leeds and ucl med school, particularly leeds. However, I'm not sure that my application is particularly outstanding. I have 4 A*s and 6As at gcse and have just got AAA in my AS (chemistry, biology and psychology) I am undertaking the EPQ and am predicted an A although I have not yet handed this in and I am planning to undertake a 4th AS in philosophy and ethics at the beginning of this year. I have done tonnes of work experience and have been told my personal statement is strong. If I do averagely on the BMAT how strong is my application for the two above universities? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Jimbob995
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JMJ_1996)
I have become interested in taking the BMAT as I quite like the look of both leeds and ucl med school, particularly leeds. However, I'm not sure that my application is particularly outstanding. I have 4 A*s and 6As at gcse and have just got AAA in my AS (chemistry, biology and psychology) I am undertaking the EPQ and am predicted an A although I have not yet handed this in and I am planning to undertake a 4th AS in philosophy and ethics at the beginning of this year. I have done tonnes of work experience and have been told my personal statement is strong. If I do averagely on the BMAT how strong is my application for the two above universities? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Well for Leeds, having a strong PS is half the battle, you academics are fine but getting a good BMAT score will really cement your chances. I'm looking at Leeds as well, the introduction of the BMAT was to reduce the number of applicants because the BMAT can be risky putting off some applicants! This means it's hard to know how they'll use it, from what I gather there is no cut off BUT a good score will strengthen your application. With regards to AS level leeds score your GCSEs and AS levels and take whichever gives the highest score, with AAA at AS you should gain full points. So I would focus on getting an average/good BMAT, that would put you in a very strong position

Can't say for UCL, last year people who had lots of A*'s at GCSE and lots of AS levels got interviews providing they didn't flop their BMAT! But can't really give you much more information on UCL tbh; maybe try last years official applicant thread?

Hope this helps!
JMJ_1996
Rep:
(Original post by Jimbob995)
Well for Leeds, having a strong PS is half the battle, you academics are fine but getting a good BMAT score will really cement your chances. I'm looking at Leeds as well, the introduction of the BMAT was to reduce the number of applicants because the BMAT can be risky putting off some applicants! This means it's hard to know how they'll use it, from what I gather there is no cut off BUT a good score will strengthen your application. With regards to AS level leeds score your GCSEs and AS levels and take whichever gives the highest score, with AAA at AS you should gain full points. So I would focus on getting an average/good BMAT, that would put you in a very strong position

Can't say for UCL, last year people who had lots of A*'s at GCSE and lots of AS levels got interviews providing they didn't flop their BMAT! But can't really give you much more information on UCL tbh; maybe try last years official applicant thread?

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice! I think maybe ill do a practice BMAT to see how I do and decide from there. I like the fact that leeds don't use the BMAT too much or have a cut off. I assumed that is why they introduced the BMAT, to cut down applications. I might give UCL a miss as I am only keen on applying to one BMAT uni Incase I entirely mess it up! Good luck with your application. Where else do you think you may apply?
Jimbob995
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Cheers mate and you! umm probably Cardiff, Leeds, UEA, BSMS or Liverpool; still deciding if i wanna risk 2 BMAT uni's. What other unis you looking at?
Loving the look of Leeds hopefully we get offers lol, anyway good luck!
JMJ_1996
Rep:
Cheers mate and you! umm probably Cardiff, Leeds, UEA, BSMS or Liverpool; still deciding if i wanna risk 2 BMAT uni's. What other unis you looking at?
Ahh sounds good. Thank you you too! I'm looking at bristol, Liverpool, lancaster, nottingham, keele and leeds so 4 of those
munstah
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I risked two BMAT unis and I am now studying at Imperial. I applied to both UCL and Imperial (also Liverpool and Lancaster). Best choice I've made if I am honest. We actually have an event this Sunday held at Imperial, it's called PotMed. You can give PotMed 2014 a search in google to find out more. The event will help you greatly with making your final decisions. Especially with your UKCAT/ BMAT etc.

Good luck with everything and maybe see you at Imperial one day!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.83%
No (46)
22.44%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.73%

Watched Threads