PhoebeG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I've just been given my offer of accommodation and I'm pretty dissapointed to be in my third choice, in a catered hall when i really wanted self catered.
I've been put in Sutherland with ensuite and was wondering what opinions people had on it?
Are the rooms a good size?
What is the atmosphere like? ( ive heard its quite which i dont really mind)
How is the food and what are meal times like?
How close is it to school of life sciences buildings?
Also heard people say that its not the safest place, one person referred to it as the mugging mile, which worries me slightly. is there any truth in it?
Lastly, how damn early do you have to apply to get in your first or even second choice???? I applied in march, foolishly thinking this was enough time, apparently not!
StartingTheParty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was put in Dalton-Ellis too, and it was my third option. I also applied quite early. It's ridiculous.

How do you know what block you're in? My room number thing begins with "MA"? Does that mean 'Main Block'?
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PhoebeG)
So I've just been given my offer of accommodation and I'm pretty dissapointed to be in my third choice, in a catered hall when i really wanted self catered.
I've been put in Sutherland with ensuite and was wondering what opinions people had on it?
Are the rooms a good size?
What is the atmosphere like? ( ive heard its quite which i dont really mind)
How is the food and what are meal times like?
How close is it to school of life sciences buildings?
Also heard people say that its not the safest place, one person referred to it as the mugging mile, which worries me slightly. is there any truth in it?
Lastly, how damn early do you have to apply to get in your first or even second choice???? I applied in march, foolishly thinking this was enough time, apparently not!
Have a look at the accommodation FAQ for some pictures of rooms: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

The description in the FAQ (by a past student) says it has a lot of international and 'posh' people. I don't know how true that is, though.

Meal times can be found here: http://www.accommodation.manchester..../cateredhalls/

The Life Sciences buildings are at the south-eastern end of campus so it's pretty much as close as you can get for a non-city halls. You can use this interactive map to find out more: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover...teractive-map/

I don't know much about its reputation for safety but I've driven along there quite a lot and I always thought it looked like quite a nice area. :erm:

Hope that helps.
StartingTheParty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is anyone else in the Main Block?
baconlover955
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I applied for halls end of April, and got my first choice of Sheavyn which is high demand so I was quite surprised. I had a firmed unconditional offer though. I don't know how they organise the choices of people with conditionals, but I'm certain they allocate the unconditionals first. What was your first choice? Sorry you didn't get it, must be annoying. Have you tried using the fb pages to swap?
William Turtle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend was told that there is no preferential weighting within your list of three options. That you are equally likely to get third as first. Not sure how true that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
harrypadley
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StartingTheParty)
I was put in Dalton-Ellis too, and it was my third option. I also applied quite early. It's ridiculous.

How do you know what block you're in? My room number thing begins with "MA"? Does that mean 'Main Block'?
Hi I've also been put in Dalton Ellis. Did you figure out what MA means? The first part of my room number is 'FI'. D'you know which block that stands for by any chance? Thanks.
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by harrypadley)
Hi I've also been put in Dalton Ellis. Did you figure out what MA means? The first part of my room number is 'FI'. D'you know which block that stands for by any chance? Thanks.
I would guess it stands for Fiddes, not sure about MA though.
harrypadley
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
I would guess it stands for Fiddes, not sure about MA though.
Thanks, for that and your links.
Natsovoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I was wondering if there's anyone here who would want to swap rooms with me? I have a catered room in Hulme Hall with a basin and am desperate for an en suite room!! I'm a female undergraduate (you have to be the same to swap :mad: )
chloepilky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by StartingTheParty)

Dalton Ellis was my second and third choice. I asked could it be rearranged and I got told it was unlikely I'd get a room if I was reallocated.. Hmm...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Fri, 19 Jun '20
    Sat, 20 Jun '20
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads