Turn on thread page Beta

Letter From Michael Howard? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    you guys should count yourself lucky....the vote is two weeks before my 18th birthday so i can't vote....and i really want to .
    I've retracted what I previously posted here because I was being a complete dunce!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting...Freepost you say? Well, it might be apt to address a large heavy box of metal scrap to that address...

ReputationRep:
    If he sends me one he'll get it back with interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Well I couldn't help but laugh at his inability to answer questions - surely he should have answers to all those questions in the forefront of his mind and therefore prepared to give an answer immediately? It's not exaclty hard to guess what questions journalists are going to ask.

By representative, do you mean that he reflects the ineptitude of Americans? (I don't believe that Americans are inept btw!)

I think leaders of countries should be fully competent in all areas that their jobs cover (and I think answering the public, making speeches and debating are all very important qualities). Out of however many millions of people in America, George Bush is evidently not the best leader - there must be someone out there better (remember Gray's Elegy in a COuntry Churchyard?) Which makes me question the great "land of opportunity".
    I certainly didn't mean to imply that I think Americans are stupid, just that having a leader of average abilities isn't necessarily a bad thing. If an average leader surrounds himself with good advisers, you have the best of both worlds - a leader who's representative of his people but who's government can come up with informed policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    You'd better get used to it. I'll almost guarantee that you'll find yourself beneath tons of government leaflets telling you how wonderful Europe is in the weeks preceding the EU constitutional referendum (if that ever becomes a reality)
    government literature is banned during referendums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    government literature is banned during referendums.
    It must be a new ban then since it was extensively used in 1975 when Britain went to the polls to vote on it's continued membership of the EEC.

ReputationRep:
    It must be a new ban then since it was extensively used in 1975 when Britain went to the polls to vote on it's continued membership of the EEC.
    Yes it is a new ban. The Neill Report (I think?) that also introduced the spending caps for elections / equal funding for both sides of referendums etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Yes it is a new ban. The Neill Report (I think?) that also introduced the spending caps for elections / equal funding for both sides of referendums etc.
    Fair dinkum. I wasn't aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    Fair dinkum. I wasn't aware of that.
    See, the benefits of doing politics AS Level :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think Howard would be a better PM than blair, and it does make for pretty entertaining stuff when he rips him appart in parliament. But to be fair, blair hasn't done a bad job as PM, it is one of the most difficult jobs in the country, and obviosly by its very nature not everyone is going to agree with his own, or his governments actions/policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    p.s. every single woman that he sent a letter to in our all-girls college was addressed to "Mrs", despite saying that he got the info from the electoral roll. hmmmm.
    Yep, mine was addressed to me as Mrs as well. I thought it was doubly dodgy as I'm not on the electoral roll at this address!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't all that bothered about the Euro before (except my family died to save Britain and now it's probably just going to be handed over).

But after visiting France recently my views have changed dramatically. France used to be dirt cheap, now it's just as expensive as the UK and it's stupid.

I don't earn enough money to be tricked into paying more than what I do already.

Personally the Europeans can shove their constitution and their monoply money right up their arses.

That is all I have to say

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.