Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I must say that I really regret not being there on this open day that splits opinions so radically
    Maybe it's better though, I don't know if I could have resisted getting discouraged if the first impression was bad. Plus I've already made my mind anyway, so it'd better be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.M.)
    I must say that I really regret not being there on this open day that splits opinions so radically
    Maybe it's better though, I don't know if I could have resisted getting discouraged if the first impression was bad. Plus I've already made my mind anyway, so it'd better be good
    geez your only in finland, come and have a look, you could do it in a weekend, its three very important years of your life!! (at least)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    geez your only in finland, come and have a look, you could do it in a weekend, its three very important years of your life!! (at least)
    Hmm, I guess I sounded like I'm making my decision lightly. That's not the case, I've thought about it a lot and I've tried to read as much about British universities as possible. I also visited London and LSE last month, basically just wandering around the place. So I have been there but it was just the open day I was referring to, could have been interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.M.)
    Hmm, I guess I sounded like I'm making my decision lightly. That's not the case, I've thought about it a lot and I've tried to read as much about British universities as possible. I also visited London and LSE last month, basically just wandering around the place. So I have been there but it was just the open day I was referring to, could have been interesting.
    Oh right I suppose thats fair enough then, oh and kudos on the avatar!!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone gonna tell us what the answer to the LSE/Oxford question was?!? Or do we have to make up our own answers!

By the way, it does sound like he was being arrogant. No-one starts a question like that without wanting to make it blindingly obvious about getting an offer from a good place.

(Original post by kingslaw)
    Is anyone gonna tell us what the answer to the LSE/Oxford question was?!? Or do we have to make up our own answers!

By the way, it does sound like he was being arrogant. No-one starts a question like that without wanting to make it blindingly obvious about getting an offer from a good place.
    Why start threads to indirectly show off an offer when one can have an ID to advertise it, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctus)
    An astonishing number of Orientals and Indians achieve, or at least are predicted, the grades required to apply to the LSE.
    after the open day the econ lecturer, john lane invited me into his pffice for a chat. he does like to talk a lot cos the chat laster 1 1/2 hours. Anyway. he said that since china opened up, here are an everincreasing number of students from china applying. I also think the fact that they have a subsidary in china does also help. He also said that if he accepted every chinese peron that had the right standar from LSE he would have enough chinese students to fill all the places of LSE five times over!

ReputationRep:
    hey. as u probably guessed i also went to the open day. I found the main intro quite funny. And it was i good idea for him to tell us to shake each others hands and applaud ourselves in the beggining. It was very psychological. The econ talk was disappointin as he was a bit long winded and never gave definate answers.

However after the department talk i was talking to the lecturer cos i had a freind who wanted to change courses. Anyway i missed the , sample lecture, the q&a session and the student living bit. so i was wondering what happened and what u thought f those parts. I would also be interested to hear what interesting questions were asked

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLo)
    hey. as u probably guessed i also went to the open day. I found the main intro quite funny. And it was i good idea for him to tell us to shake each others hands and applaud ourselves in the beggining. It was very psychological. The econ talk was disappointin as he was a bit long winded and never gave definate answers.

However after the department talk i was talking to the lecturer cos i had a freind who wanted to change courses. Anyway i missed the , sample lecture, the q&a session and the student living bit. so i was wondering what happened and what u thought f those parts. I would also be interested to hear what interesting questions were asked

cheers

So what did the lecturer say?, i mean is it possible to change courses at LSE?.. and if u dont mind telling, ur friend wants to switch from what course to what course?..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaherrrrr)
    So what did the lecturer say?, i mean is it possible to change courses at LSE?.. and if u dont mind telling, ur friend wants to switch from what course to what course?..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    hey! alrite mate, your that guy? I was the on who asked is there any classes or lectures on saturdays.
    cool!
    yup thats me, I remember you asking that question too... didn't see your face though. IIRC you sitting towards the left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I think the main Law geeza (who went to cambridge and harvard) answered that. I think he said something about LSE being in the centre of london and how that makes it advantageous in some way compared to the isolated oxford/cambridge and some other stuff that I can't remember. In the introduction they "compared" oxford/cambridge with LSE claiming the LSE is "better" in social sciences due to having more 5* ratings and stuff. But still the maths dept (i got offer for maths and eco) doesn't look anyway near comparable with oxbridge or even imperial/warwick/bath IMO but the half bit of eco must be very good still.

ReputationRep:
    i 1st met this friend at the oxofrd interveiw and she applied to the same unis as me. she got rejected from oxford. Her second choice was LSE econ L101. Hoever she got rejected. however she also applied for LSE management and got an offer of ABB. she is international by the way. She also has an offer at UCL AAA for econ L100.

well anyway she ,much prefers econ to managemenrt . but she also much prefers LSE to UCL. so after he management lecture she came to my econ lecture and asked thelecturer , who luckily also happed to be the econ admissions tutor if she could change form management to econ.

however he said that it would be impossible to change to econ cos it was so oversubscribed. And anyway her A level subjects were not good enought. SHe did, maths, further maths, econ, accounting. He saind that he would not accept accountign as a A level and would not accept f. maths as the full seperate A level sao that means she only had two and a half suitable a levels.

anyway he recommended that she tried maths and econ cos its a more mathematical degree which is run by the maths dep cos all the econ courses are full. So now she is considering going to UCL as first choices dispite she would preffer LSe and then LSE management as an insurance so that she might be able to change to maths and econ if she does not make the AAA

hope that's not too confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    cool!
    yup thats me, I remember you asking that question too... didn't see your face though. IIRC you sitting towards the left?
    Yeh. If your the one im thinking of then i think i recognised you lol. This may sound strange but i dont suppose you went on a business and management course at nottingham uni, or a morse offers open day at warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    Yeh. If your the one im thinking of then i think i recognised you lol. This may sound strange but i dont suppose you went on a business and management course at nottingham uni, or a morse offers open day at warwick?
    morse yes, nottingham no... lol... so it could be that you are confusing me with someone else at nottingham, but you must have seen me at warwick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Oh right I suppose thats fair enough then, oh and kudos on the avatar!!
    Mr. Sparkle? Thanks. He's disrespectful to dirt!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm going to London tomorrow (from germany) and still haven't heard anything from LSE for math&eco. What do you think, should I just turn up there and ask what's going on and have a look at the facilities ?

ReputationRep:
    yeh definitely, they need sum1 to give them a kick up the arse!

ReputationRep:
    i went to the government department and the old (>75 haha) guy talked lots about changing subjects etc. he gave the impression that it was pretty impossible to change your major subject once you're there. however, if for example you'd chosen for example gov + econ it was entirely possible to change to single government or take another subject such as history aswell at any time. bascially he was trying to say it was extremely difficult to change departments, but within the department there is much scope for flexibility.

about the open day in general i thought it was pretty good. i've been to quite a few such as cam, york, edin, warr etc etc and none had quite the same vibrant informed atmosphere imo. it's all opinion what people say, but i went totally unconvinced and came out excited and counting the days. the only thing i would have liked to have seen is more access to the halls

ReputationRep:
    i also went on wednesday, the falling sign gave us some entertainment surely? I agree with you though my depart. talk (4 government) was also poorly organised. Perhaps better uni's such as Lse feel no need 2 bother 2 much? on the other hand some of the others i've been 2 haven't been that impressive either

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 29, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.