Health and social care! HELPPPP Watch

sian'ay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am starting college in September to study health and social care level 3 extended diploma. I am determined to get distinctions/*. I really don't understand how the units are formatted and how the course is structured. Could anybody take a minute to explain ...
cjhhptb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also starting this course in September and like you I'm determined to get distinctions as I need them to get into uni. I did a year a sixth form but I really didn't enjoy it and it seemed pointless studying subjects which had nothing to do with my chosen career.
Like you, I'm also confused by the different units, it would be really useful if someone could explain them all so I had an idea what's to come.
It's nice to know someone else who's starting, what do you hope to do after the course?
Moonbrains
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just finished my first year and will explain the best I can

You do so many compulsory units in year 1 which include; anatomy and physiology, caring for children and young people, equality diversity and rights, life stages, health and safety etc. Most of these are covered in book 1 for the course! These are essential and you have to do them to get the end qualification. They are worth 10 credits each, but some units are only worth 5 credits (such as psychology and sociology). You also have to do personal and professional development which is another compulsory unit but this is worth 20 credits! The more credits the unit is worth, the more effort you should put in to get higher grades because it will have more sway over your final grade.

Then in the second year you choose which pathway you want to go down, either health or care! Students choose health who want to do nursing, midwifery, ODP etc... those who choose care may want to do social care, counseling, youth work etc. Each pathway covers different units... I am doing the health pathway and thus will be doing units on physiology and fluid balance, medical conditions etc.

For each unit you get a brief with a set of tasks (usually about 4-6 tasks) that you have to complete. Each task outlines what you need to cover in order to achieve a pass, merit or distinction. Things have changed slightly this year though compared to last... so the way you a achieve a distinction now is a little different. You will soon figure this out then when you start!
cjhhptb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much! What do you want to do after next year? What are the tasks like? How much time do you spend on the work outside of college time? What were your placements like? Thanks again and sorry for all the questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads