Darnell_sw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
At AS, I studied Psychology, Sociology, Physics and Maths, with an intention to eventually study a psychology-related course at uni (Criminal, Clinical etc...), however come results day I ended up with CCDD respectively, considerably lower than I'd expected given my term reports (all saying I was on track for good grades). (Fun note: I had no intention of carrying sociology over so didn't revise for it in hopes of improving my other results...)

I've been thinking of all the ways I could fix these but I'm not fully confident about which would be the best route to take, they are as follows;

- Carry over my 3 'best' subjects (Psy/Soc/Phys) to A2 as is and hope to improve them at A2 exams

- As above, but resit the worst modules from each subject to bring up my AS results (Preferred option)

- Carry over the two C grades and take AS&A2 -New subject- in Second Year

Last resorts:

- Resit first year with same subjects

- Resit first year with Psychology, Sociology and two other subjects

Any additional suggestions or opinions on the ideas I've already got are welcome, thanks in advance
Exon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What grades do you need at A2?
Dixavd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One thing to think about with re-takes (or even doing all of AS&A2 at the same time) is that for some A-levels, having a better understanding of other modules bolsters success in a current one - while for others it can distract and hinder you. For instance, I'd say that doing all of the module exams for Maths at once (usually as a result of re-takes) is a blessing in disguise because being exam-ready for early topics (C1, C2, FP1, etc... in Edexcel) will make you more able in the later modules (especially since harder questions tend to just through things from previous modules in and expect better candiadates to spot them). Than again, the modules in the OCR Physics course are fairly independant so re-takes would just add the workload of things to keep on the forefront of your memory rather than helping you understand the overall topics.

You might also like to think about what you would do if, trying to re-take modules, it still isn't enough (or the workload is too much) and you achieve lower grades: Would you stop and move on? Would you stay on for another year and re-take an entire year or set modules? Depending on your answers, it might be better to plan to retake the whole AS year than leaving yourself to be forced into a third year at the end. Planning for 3 years can be very rewarding and useful, but the choice shouldn't be made lightly.

My advice is to first look at the kinds of things you want to head into afterwards (either career-wise or in further education) to see what subjects and results would be satisfactory for what you want to do. You then should think about the subjects you find interesting and that you feel you could be motivated to work harder on. Then you should look at your actual current results and determine what you realistically need to get in the A2 were you not to retake (i.e. required UMS, and the likely result) and then determine how much risk you want to walk in with (some would want to guarentee an A by re-taking a couple modules and lower the chances of an A* by taking away time from A2 modules - while others would want to increase the chance of getting a B overall if they screw up the A2 modules so that they can give them the more time and, with a good exam, nail an A* overall).

You might also want to look into which subjects are "facilitating subjects" as they are called. Even if they aren't useful in the field your aiming for, they can be the sort of things that would good on a CV. (For instance, it's useful for everyone to have some kind of good C-A* qualification in mathematics even if they aren't aiming to go into a mathematical field - this will open up a lot of entry-level jobs, especially if you decide to change careers later).

Ultimately though, you need to figure out: what went wrong this time for these results? Can you reasonable expect to improve them? How much improvement do you need? Are you willing to spend 3 years to do so? How are you with exams? What about coursework? Where do you want to go afterwards? What's your aim? What's your plan-B if it doesn't all go to plan?
Darnell_sw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exon)
What grades do you need at A2?
Most higher places (like Russell Group) require AAB or ABB if taking a science (Psychology counts) and others tend to converge around BBC, both of which I feel are achievable if I put my genuine focus and effort in all year round, however I'm not sure what I'd do in regards to applying to such places with the predicted grades I imagine I'm gonna receive...

(Original post by Dixavd)
Thanks for such a thorough response, although this has raised as many questions as it has answered!
Exon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Darnell_sw)
Most higher places (like Russell Group) require AAB or ABB if taking a science (Psychology counts) and others tend to converge around BBC, both of which I feel are achievable if I put my genuine focus and effort in all year round, however I'm not sure what I'd do in regards to applying to such places with the predicted grades I imagine I'm gonna receive...

Thanks for such a thorough response, although this has raised as many questions as it has answered!
In that case, you're going to have to (realistically speaking) resit AS modules. Whether that means retaking the year (to improve predicted grades + make A2 easier), taking a gap year afterwards (so you don't rely on predicted grades) or take AS+A2 (so you can finish A-levels in 2 years) is up to you.

Do be warned that if your AS grades don't improve, you're looking at higher end A*s at A2 to bring up the C grades to A-A* range and the D grades up to B range.
Darnell_sw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exon)
In that case, you're going to have to (realistically speaking) resit AS modules. Whether that means retaking the year (to improve predicted grades + make A2 easier), taking a gap year afterwards (so you don't rely on predicted grades) or take AS+A2 (so you can finish A-levels in 2 years) is up to you.

Do be warned that if your AS grades don't improve, you're looking at higher end A*s at A2 to bring up the C grades to A-A* range and the D grades up to B range.
Thanks a lot for this, the gap year idea never crossed my mind for some reason so that's given me decent hope, much appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads