The Student Room Group

Law LLB first year preparations/ questions/ experiences!

I'm starting University this September, and I really don't know what to expect at all. Any advise or information that any of you experienced students want to hand over would be appreciated.

How long is a typical law LLB exam for? And how many exams do I have in the first year, 2nd and 3rd year.

I know the exams are essay based, but do any of you guys use the same essay structure for every Law LLB exam? Previosly in my experience during exams in English, and other essay based subjects I have used pretty much the same structure for each subject. I find this an easy way to write out my answers; this method has resulted to me attaining A's and B's in all my exams that I have participated in.

Are there any semesters that teach you how to write better in exams, or may offer extra information regarding essays/ exams.

How about proof reading essays? Is there a certain department or a preffessor I can go to, so that they can check if my essays need a little more info or perhaps editing.

When I obviously start university, I will work my ass off; I intend to maintain the grade that I desire to achieve. Share some experiences you have had, or even first year grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Highfiveyou
I'm starting University this September, and I really don't know what to expect at all. Any advise or information that any of you experienced students want to hand over would be appreciated.

How long is a typical law LLB exam for? And how many exams do I have in the first year, 2nd and 3rd year.

I know the exams are essay based, but do any of you guys use the same essay structure for every Law LLB exam? Previosly in my experience during exams in English, and other essay based subjects I have used pretty much the same structure for each subject. I find this an easy way to write out my answers; this method has resulted to me attaining A's and B's in all my exams that I have participated in.

Are there any semesters that teach you how to write better in exams, or may offer extra information regarding essays/ exams.

How about proof reading essays? Is there a certain department or a preffessor I can go to, so that they can check if my essays need a little more info or perhaps editing.

When I obviously start university, I will work my ass off; I intend to maintain the grade that I desire to achieve. Share some experiences you have had, or even first year grades.

majority of the people on here will talk all day long about university rankings or magic circles or training contracts and so on. but they will never ever talk in depth about how to write a law essay or how to answer exam questions.

why don't you consult your lecturer or tutor instead?
Original post by Maura Kat
majority of the people on here will talk all day long about university rankings or magic circles or training contracts and so on. but they will never ever talk in depth about how to write a law essay or how to answer exam questions.

why don't you consult your lecturer or tutor instead?

Yes, I've seen quite a few criticism on student room, yet no body wants to share the important information regarding work. I think that would be the best solution. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Yes, I've seen quite a few criticism on student room, yet no body wants to share the important information regarding work. I think that would be the best solution. Thank you! :smile:

no problem.
the sooner you realize this forum is actually of no real use, the better.
in time to come, you will look back and ask yourself
'damn, why did i spend all those precious time on TSR? I should have used that time to study instead'.
Original post by Maura Kat
no problem.
the sooner you realize this forum is actually of no real use, the better.
in time to come, you will look back and ask yourself
'damn, why did i spend all those precious time on TSR? I should have used that time to study instead'.

You're right! The majority of people on here are nasty, and tend to put others down! Thanks for the heads up; I appreciate the info!
Reply 5
You're right! The majority of people on here are nasty, and tend to put others down! Thanks for the heads up; I appreciate the info!

I hope I don't come across as one of the nasty people you refer to; I certainly don't intend to. Reading this and a couple of your previous posts, though, I think you might be at risk of working yourself into too much of a state of anxiety about what lies ahead of you on a law degree. Don't. Relax, it will all be fine.

Remember that on day one everyone will be in the same position as you - unsure of what to expect and how well they might do. OK, there will be some who strut about like peacocks with a great sense of bravado but inside they'll probably be just as excited, just as nervous and just as apprehensive as you are.

University law schools do not assume any prior knowledge on the part of their students. They will teach you everything from scratch. So, yes, you will be taught a simple and clear structure for essays and you will use it over and over again. Don't worry for now about how long exams are (generally 2 or 3 hours), these are in the future and your tutors will prepare you well for them.

Remember that law faculty admissions tutors are an experienced lot who don't make offers lightly. The fact that you have secured a place indicates that they believe you have the academic ability to complete the degree.

Universities and individual academics want, and in fact need, their students to succeed. Fails, or a high percentage of 3rds, reflects well on no one. So although it might not always seem like it, they will be on your side and the university will provide all the help you need.

You asked for shared experiences. I began my LLB 4 years ago at the age of 50. Like you I had never written a legal essay before. In fact, unlike you, I had never even written an A level essay before, having left school at 16. I hadn't been in a classroom for over 30 years. My ambition then was simply to pass year one and hope to keep up with the young ones. I now have a law degree with first class honours, am doing a PhD in law, do some occasional teaching and I'm also working as a part time research assistant at another law school. I don't say this to be self-congratulatory but to encourage you to relax about what is in front of you. I knew nothing when I started but was taught all that I needed to succeed.

Unfortunately I can't agree with above poster who said this forum is of no real use. I've found it to be very helpful over the years. OK, like every internet forum you need to sort the wheat from the chaff, but I've read and benefited from a lot of good advice and a good level of discussion and debate on here. Don't dismiss it.

So don't worry for now about essay structures and exams. Enjoy what is left of the summer. Worry more about freshers week. The rest will come in due course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cliffg
I hope I don't come across as one of the nasty people you refer to; I certainly don't intend to. Reading this and a couple of your previous posts, though, I think you might be at risk of working yourself into too much of a state of anxiety about what lies ahead of you on a law degree. Don't. Relax, it will all be fine.

Remember that on day one everyone will be in the same position as you - unsure of what to expect and how well they might do. OK, there will be some who strut about like peacocks with a great sense of bravado but inside they'll probably be just as excited, just as nervous and just as apprehensive as you are.

University law schools do not assume any prior knowledge on the part of their students. They will teach you everything from scratch. So, yes, you will be taught a simple and clear structure for essays and you will use it over and over again. Don't worry for now about how long exams are (generally 2 or 3 hours), these are in the future and your tutors will prepare you well for them.

Remember that law faculty admissions tutors are an experienced lot who don't make offers lightly. The fact that you have secured a place indicates that they believe you have the academic ability to complete the degree.

Universities and individual academics want, and in fact need, their students to succeed. Fails, or a high percentage of 3rds, reflects well on no one. So although it might not always seem like it, they will be on your side and the university will provide all the help you need.

You asked for shared experiences. I began my LLB 4 years ago at the age of 50. Like you I had never written a legal essay before. In fact, unlike you, I had never even written an A level essay before, having left school at 16. I hadn't been in a classroom for over 30 years. My ambition then was simply to pass year one and hope to keep up with the young ones. I now have a law degree with first class honours, am doing a PhD in law, do some occasional teaching and I'm also working as a part time research assistant at another law school. I don't say this to be self-congratulatory but to encourage you to relax about what is in front of you. I knew nothing when I started but was taught all that I needed to succeed.

Unfortunately I can't agree with above poster who said this forum is of no real use. I've found it to be very helpful over the years. OK, like every internet forum you need to sort the wheat from the chaff, but I've read and benefited from a lot of good advice and a good level of discussion and debate on here. Don't dismiss it.

So don't worry for now about essay structures and exams. Enjoy what is left of the summer. Worry more about freshers week. The rest will come in due course.

Thank you! You have made me feel better. I appreciate the advice and will stop acting like a nervous wreck...
Reply 7

Hi! First of all - do not worry about not knowing what to expect when starting law at uni, nobody has a clue what to expect and that's all part of the fun!

The amount of exams you will have will vary based on your modules, some will be 100% coursework assessed, others 100% exam based or a mixture! In my first year I had all coursework in my first semester and all exams in the second. Since then I have a combination of both.

Most exams are 2-3 hours long - seems long compared to some GCSEs and A levels however the time generally flies as you have a lot to write :smile: Exams can be essay based however you will likely have a lot of problem question based answers to complete. Starting law I had no clue what a problem question was or how to answer it and thought I was a pro at essays after my Alevels. I soon learnt the truth about both - problem questions still involve a lot of writing but deal with tackling legal problems or situations commonly in criminal or tort law for example. Legal essays I learnt were not as straightforward as I hoped but my university taught me everything I needed to know about how to answer them, style of writing, citations etc.

Most universities offer a module called legal skills which will teach you all the basics! there's a book called Legal Skills actually by finch and fafinski (amazon is your friend) which is great at explaining everything - a previous edition will suffice!

Proof reading is not done at my university but some tutors and lecturers will look at essay plans or mark a practice answer. The only way to find out if this is offered is to ask! The worst that can happen is they refuse!

My best advice would be to keep on top of your readings and ASK questions if you are unsure. My whole first year of university I didn't go to a single lecturer to ask when I was unsure, all I did was freak out about not understanding it. It is not school, you will not be spoon-fed but the lecturers still want you to do your best, they want to help so email them, meet with them, question them - that's their job! :smile:

All the best! If you need any more advice/help/have questions just PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If my GCSE's are not strong enough, then will this effect my chances of becoming a lawyer? I hold a D grade in Math, and a D in english and other 6 GCSE's in other various subjects. I did recently retake English GCSE and achieved a D grade, but I'm having my paper remarked as I got A's in my mock exams - it really don't seem right to me and my teacher. Well, I was on anti depressants during my exam, as I have been on them for a while. Can I apeal for my GCSE? Or not. I've asked around some people say once you have secured a place in university and have finally achieved you degree, then the degree will outweigh all of your other grades, so they won't really matter when looking for employment.

What do you guys think?

I'm just really worried; I feel like I'm ruining my chances.

Original post by B104
Hi! First of all - do not worry about not knowing what to expect when starting law at uni, nobody has a clue what to expect and that's all part of the fun!

The amount of exams you will have will vary based on your modules, some will be 100% coursework assessed, others 100% exam based or a mixture! In my first year I had all coursework in my first semester and all exams in the second. Since then I have a combination of both.

Most exams are 2-3 hours long - seems long compared to some GCSEs and A levels however the time generally flies as you have a lot to write :smile: Exams can be essay based however you will likely have a lot of problem question based answers to complete. Starting law I had no clue what a problem question was or how to answer it and thought I was a pro at essays after my Alevels. I soon learnt the truth about both - problem questions still involve a lot of writing but deal with tackling legal problems or situations commonly in criminal or tort law for example. Legal essays I learnt were not as straightforward as I hoped but my university taught me everything I needed to know about how to answer them, style of writing, citations etc.

Most universities offer a module called legal skills which will teach you all the basics! there's a book called Legal Skills actually by finch and fafinski (amazon is your friend) which is great at explaining everything - a previous edition will suffice!

Proof reading is not done at my university but some tutors and lecturers will look at essay plans or mark a practice answer. The only way to find out if this is offered is to ask! The worst that can happen is they refuse!

My best advice would be to keep on top of your readings and ASK questions if you are unsure. My whole first year of university I didn't go to a single lecturer to ask when I was unsure, all I did was freak out about not understanding it. It is not school, you will not be spoon-fed but the lecturers still want you to do your best, they want to help so email them, meet with them, question them - that's their job! :smile:

All the best! If you need any more advice/help/have questions just PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by cliffg

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
To be completely honest with you, I am not sure. It could have an impact if you plan to go into commercial law. Commercial law firms sometimes demand certain grades at GCSE and a level as merely another method to cut down on their high number of applicants.

Why it is difficult for me to know whether this is crucial or not is because my university requires C's in English and Maths at admissions so there wouldn't be anybody in my course with a grade below that. Sorry, I know that is not probably what you want to hear but I would wait until you speak to careers at university - they will be in the best position to guide you. If special circumstances were involved you will need to get in touch with your school and the exam board but to be honest that really should have been done at the time, the length of time passed may affect the appeal - however again I am not 100% sure of this so do not take this as fact.

Please again as the above poster said, try not to worry too much - university is hard but it's also lots of fun and a brilliant time in your life. Don't spend the months waiting for it consumed with anxiety! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I'm really curious because I'm starting law this September and I'm in the same position you were in 3 years ago. I don't know what to expect from studying law and I'm a bit anxious. So how did you find it in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending