Drop Biology, Chemistry or Physics for A2?

Watch
Natalie66
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My AS Grades: Bio, A. Physics, A. Chemistry B. Maths A.
I do not know whether to drop Chemistry or Biology.
Is Biology, Physics and Maths a good combination?
Also, could some tell me some career paths that each subject offers?
Thank you
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Natalie66)
My AS Grades: Bio, A. Physics, A. Chemistry B. Maths A.
I do not know whether to drop Chemistry or Biology.
Is Biology, Physics and Maths a good combination?
Also, could some tell me some career paths that each subject offers?
Thank you
Well it completely depends what on what you want to do after A2. Any ideas?
Natalie66
Rep:
?
(Original post by Solivagant)
Well it completely depends what on what you want to do after A2. Any ideas?
That's where I'm lost!
I want to study science to degree level. I enjoy both Biology and Physics but am slightly towards physics.
Will chemistry help me in physics more than biology would?
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's where I'm lost!
I want to study science to degree level. I enjoy both Biology and Physics but am slightly towards physics.
I'd make sure you do some research to find out what it is you actually want to do before it gets too late. If you want to do physics at uni, then chemistry would be slightly more suitable, but seen as you got a worse grade last year, it may not be worth continuing it. Do you enjoy chemistry, because if not, don't continue it.
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's where I'm lost!
Chemistry is better for a physics degree, but your maim concern is maths. Do as much maths as humanely possible. Further maths AS/A2 is amazingly helpful, especially with the top unis. You will inevitably be taught the f maths content in the first year (first term at Oxbridge/imperial etc).
I'd drop biology. Its a hell of a lot to remember and chemistry is more interesting, but my god do extra maths!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
alwaysalex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you think you might end up wanting to do Biology then don't drop it! You could always keep all 4 at first and then see which you enjoy the least.
Natalie66
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoshBedford)
Chemistry is better for a physics degree, but your maim concern is maths. Do as much maths as humanely possible. Further maths AS/A2 is amazingly helpful, especially with the top unis. You will inevitably be taught the f maths content in the first year (first term at Oxbridge/imperial etc).
I'd drop biology. Its a hell of a lot to remember and chemistry is more interesting, but my god do extra maths!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would Further Maths AS be enough? I am just starting A2 so wont have enough time to do A2 further maths
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would Further Maths AS be enough? I am just starting A2 so wont have enough time to do A2 further maths
AS further will certainly be helpful in showing that you understand the importance of maths in the sciences, and that you are willing to learn. Unfortunately, the bulk of the important stuff is locked up in FP2/3 and the applied modules (2 and up). A2 further would've been a great idea, but there are thousands of people who do normal maths and gain places doing science degrees. Quite a few from my sixth form are even doing maths degrees with just AS further!

Don't get demoralised, just work on getting the grades, that's the most important thing. They'd rather take a student with A*AA than AABb
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed