The Student Room Group

Two degrees at once

My Dear Friends,

I'm an EU citizen and would like to study philosophy (graduate) and history of art (undergraduate) at once in England (my biggest dream is Oxford, but I am really not sure if I could ever manage to get a place there). Could I get the founding for both?

NOTE: maybe I shouldn't be asking now, as I'm not even in high school:smile:, but I'm thinking about IB class, so I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Thank you!

Also: would it be any easier to apply for my second degree? Or maybe - would it be any easier for my application to be accepted?:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you looking for two separate degrees or a joint honours?
Reply 2
Two separate degrees.
I'm not sure if joint honours let me combine graduate and undergraduate studies?
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh the reality and the perception of unrealistic expectations which deteriorate as you age.
You can only get funding for one degree with a few exceptions.
Postgraduate degrees are usually self funded or privately funded anyway, not with student finance.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
You can only get funding for one degree with a few exceptions.

Exceptions? :smile:
Medical or teaching
Original post by antonio!
My Dear Friends,

I'm an EU citizen and would like to study philosophy (graduate) and history of art (undergraduate) at once in England (my biggest dream is Oxford, but I am really not sure if I could ever manage to get a place there). Could I get the founding for both?

NOTE: maybe I shouldn't be asking now, as I'm not even in high school:smile:, but I'm thinking about IB class, so I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Thank you!

Also: would it be any easier to apply for my second degree? Or maybe - would it be any easier for my application to be accepted?:smile:

There are a few problems with your suggestion

a) You can't be enrolled in two degrees at once
b) Time constraints mean trying to do coursework for two degrees at once would be very difficult at most unis and impossible at Oxford where degrees have a very high workload
c) You need to either be about to finish a Batchelors degree or have already finished it to be accepted onto an MA
d) No central funding for philosophy MA's- only limited scholarships university based for a very few
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/finance/funding/ukstudents/seconddegree.htm

Has information on the exceptions.

As above - you'd have to consider the time. And what happens if you have lectures that clash?
Reply 10
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending