The Student Room Group

Biomedical Engineering 2015 Applicants

Surely I'm not the only one applying for this course. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, KCL and Newcastle!

I'm an international student by the way.

Scroll to see replies

Hey again :L
Yay for biomedical! :3
I live in Scotland so I'm hoping to go to a scottish university. That leaves me with the choice of either Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde...so much choice.
At the moment I'm hoping to go to Strathclyde because they have a better engineering department but that may change after the Glasgow open day!
Reply 2
Original post by greenladybird
Hey again :L
Yay for biomedical! :3
I live in Scotland so I'm hoping to go to a scottish university. That leaves me with the choice of either Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde...so much choice.
At the moment I'm hoping to go to Strathclyde because they have a better engineering department but that may change after the Glasgow open day!

Yay! I'm from New Zealand :biggrin:
So do you do A-level then? Will you be applying to only 2 uni's?
Original post by peterith
Yay! I'm from New Zealand :biggrin:
So do you do A-level then? Will you be applying to only 2 uni's?

No, I do SQA qualifications :smile:
A-level is about equivalent to Advanced Highers and AS levels are about equal to Highers - which I've just sat.
In Scottish unis, they base their offers on your higher subjects so it's only for really competitive courses such as medicine that will be expecting advanced higher grades.
Takes the pressure of when you can get unconditional offers :smile:
I'm also applying for Prosthetics + Orthotics at Strathclyde as the courses are reasonably similar!
I might apply to some english unis but I think I'd prefer to stay in Scotland because of tuition fees and closeness to home :smile:
I want to BioMedical Engineering too. So far, it is only you two. This seems unpopular. LOL! Yeah.. I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, Kings, UCL and Surrey. And, Newcastle doesn't do BioMedical Engineering. They do BioMedical Science which i completely different.
Original post by arjunthedon
I want to BioMedical Engineering too. So far, it is only you two. This seems unpopular. LOL! Yeah.. I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, Kings, UCL and Surrey. And, Newcastle doesn't do BioMedical Engineering. They do BioMedical Science which i completely different.

Because TSR represents such a large proportion of uni applicants of course...:rolleyes:

While Newcastle don't do biomedical engineering as an individual course, they do have 'Mechanical Engineering with Bioengineering' which has similar characteristics.
W
Because TSR represents such a large proportion of uni applicants of course...:rolleyes:

Was that sarcasm? Anyways, what did you get for your AS level? How are your predicted grades looking like?
:colondollar:
Original post by arjunthedon
W

Was that sarcasm? Anyways, what did you get for your AS level? How are your predicted grades looking like?
:colondollar:

And the award goes to you!
If you had read the messages above, you would have seen I do SQA qualifications. For Higher (Equivalent to AS) I have AAAAA, I'm taking 3 Advanced Highers (roughly equivalent to A2 I think) as well as an additional higher. Not entirely sure on my predicted grades, I think AAB and an A for the higher. Wbu?
Applied to glasgow for biomed eng as my fifth choice (other four are medicine) last week. Heard nothing yet
Original post by Mbellaproduction
Applied to glasgow for biomed eng as my fifth choice (other four are medicine) last week. Heard nothing yet

I had an unconditional two days after I sent off my application so I'm sure you'll hear something soon for Glasgow :smile:
Reply 10
I unfollowed my tread a while back lol. I'm an international applicant so I'm not really expecting any invitation for an interview (apart from Oxford). Anyway, I haven't received any offers yet. So far, there are only 3 of us on TSR applying for biomed eng. :wink:
applied to imperial and ucl for biomedical engineering :smile: and havent heard back yet
I had an unconditional two days after I sent off my application so I'm sure you'll hear something soon for Glasgow :smile:

Just got my unconditional today, very happy :smile:
Hey there guys, ever since A-Levels I haven't been very active on this website lol, however in my days of applying i found it beneficial when people older than me helped me understand the course i was planning to go into, so in return i would like to inform you with the details on Biomedical Engineering.

I am in my second year for Biomedical Engineering at KCL. Yes as rightly pointed out by some on this thread, this course is not yet as popular. The third years will be the first to graduate and they have around 10 people in their class. Second years have 12 people including me and a good jump for first years with 34 students. I believe year after year, this course will grow tremendously. It is fairly new in comparison to other courses, however the job prospective is HIGH. Let me give you an example. I plan after graduation to work for a company in California. Reason why is because California is known for the industrial evolution in Engineering, and atm Biomedical Engineering is at its highest demanding point. Depending on the company, starting salary over there was as high as $70,000 and would only rise. A father of my friend has been a Biomedical Engineering for 12 years at one of the companies in California and he is currently receiving $600,000 annually. So in terms of income, this is a good future position and the demand is high, so you are bound to get a job after graduation with the industry growing rapidly.

In terms of the course itself. I heavily recommend for you guys to understand atleast AS Level Biology, a lot of people have been blown off with amount of biology that is contained. Also if you are not into coding and programming, then take this as a warning. THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR YOU !! It heavily relies on using programmes such as Matlab and Fortran. Workload in first year was okay, as long as you didn't leave it until last minute, you will be fine. Alot was just recap to A Level with a touch of extensions. Second year so far, has been very intense. Introduction to many new modules have caused workload to be immense. So if you are a lazy type then that would need to be changed ASAP lool. Other than that, this course is actually really good. And when i mention it to people, i always get a raise of eyebrows and a smile followed by a 'woooh'. Pretty much says it all loool

If you guys need any more information, you could reply to me on here, or contact me directly by PM. I will try my best to get back to you. :smile: Good luck all :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by peterith
Surely I'm not the only one applying for this course. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, KCL and Newcastle!

I'm an international student by the way.

Hey :smile: I also applied for BME at Imperial, UCL and KCL have you heard anything back yet?
Reply 15
i got an offer from Sheffield :smile:
but its my 5th choice, other 4 are medicine!!
Reply 16
Original post by RagaZ
i got an offer from Sheffield :smile:
but its my 5th choice, other 4 are medicine!!

what's the offer abb/aab?
Reply 17
Original post by Swfc
what's the offer abb/aab?

aab- Masters :smile:
woowowowoooooo Biomedical Engineering :cool:

Visited Leeds Uni recently, fell in love!!
Glasgow is way too better for BME as compared to strathclyde.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest