Sullstar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I just received my AS results and got a B in history with a UMS score of 153. On one of the exams I got a UMS score of 92 and on the other a UMS score of 61. This leaves me 2.5 marks off of an A overall (I think the half mark was because the class got 1% consideration due to noise during the exam).

Is it worth paying the money to get it remarked in the hope of getting 3 extra marks? Or would you recommend making these 3 marks up next year?
can'tbeleftblank
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello, I took edexcel history too and I can offer some of my own advice having completed the A2 recently.
First off well done in the 92 UMS. That's putting you into an A* standard should it persist to A2.
Secondly you have got a year to sort this out. Get your paper back first (photocopy) and go through with your teacher to see if, in their opinion, it deserves that grade. Should they agree go for a remark - history is not as subjective as others, but it's not as right/wrong as a science subject is.
Thirdly, what paper is it? Unit 1 or unit 2? Because unit 1 is ridiculously memory-intensive, but you've already learnt it and is quite similar to one of the section A questions in the A2 exam. So I could imagine revising along side it wouldn't be too hard considering the change in skill set.
However unit 2 is a lot more skills based and depends more on innate ability than memory ability. Therefore it is better than unit 1 in terms of revision.
As for just making up the three marks next year. I wouldn't leave it to chance. A2 modules are certainly more difficult, in history the layout is similar, but the questions are harder to understand than as. I would resit the unit, if you feel up to it, and your remark doesn't go up. Looking back at my unit 1 paper I just was astounded at how easy it looked. This will happen to you too.
But then again, you do not have January resits. So you'll have to weigh that decision against how many exams you're going to have in the summer.
Personally I would, because it is manageable if you're prepared to work hard and as units are the easiest ones to get better marks in.

Hopes this in some way helps. x
Sullstar
Rep:
?
Thank you very much. My 92 UMS was on Unit 1 and the 61 UMS was on Unit 2.

I think because I had the sources to guide me in unit 2 and that I expected Unit 1 to be harder I over compensated on learning unit 1 and this cost me when it came to using the own knowledge in the unit 2 exam. I feel like the exam went better than a low C so I will probably get a photocopied version back and speak to my teacher.

I fell if I re-sit the unit I could do better but since there are no January exams I am worried a re sit may interfere with my A2 exams.
can'tbeleftblank
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That does happen also. A friend of mine got an A in unit 1 and a D in unit 2, thinking it was going to be the other way around .
Unit 2 is a much easier re-sit and allows for much more structured revision. Get your remark and see, but well done for getting an A in unit 1!
What other subjects are you taking and how exams are you, potentially, re-taking? :/

besides, actually speaking from a mainly humanities point-of-view, as exams are much earlier on in the season. I had a good two weeks better an as re-sit and my first A2 exam, so it worked out quite well!
Sullstar
Rep:
?
This year I got an A and 3 B's. Considering my target grades were B/C I am very happy. My A was in Philosophy and Ethics (175 UMS). My B's were in History, English Lit and Psychology. I got similar UMS in English and Psychology so I am trying to decide which to take onto A2 and which to drop. I will speak to my teachers about the A2 courses more in depth and see which I think I can potentially get a higher result in.

What subjects did you do and how did you get on?
can'tbeleftblank
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sullstar)
This year I got an A and 3 B's. Considering my target grades were B/C I am very happy. My A was in Philosophy and Ethics (175 UMS). My B's were in History, English Lit and Psychology. I got similar UMS in English and Psychology so I am trying to decide which to take onto A2 and which to drop. I will speak to my teachers about the A2 courses more in depth and see which I think I can potentially get a higher result in.

What subjects did you do and how did you get on?
Oh, brill As grades! You should be very proud of them!
I did History A*, English Lit A* and psychology A at A2. I am completely non-bias here in saying drop psychology and English.
Truthfully though, psychology has two of the most memory intensive exams that were traditionally done in January and June. Doing them at the same time stressed me out.
In English lit you've got coursework too, so less exams! but it's really, completely up to you and which subject you enjoy most!
Sullstar
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice. We do the WJEC exam board for Psychology for some reason, I've heard it is easier than other exam boards but the marking is very all over the place. Having English and History coursework would be beneficial but there is a lot of wider reading needed for A2 English Lit, Psychology will probably be less of a workload throughout the year but more work during exam time.

The A2 English course seems much more enjoyable than the one we did for AS, but Psychology also seems pretty interesting, tough decision
katesophiahouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by can'tbeleftblank)
Oh, brill As grades! You should be very proud of them!
I did History A*, English Lit A* and psychology A at A2. I am completely non-bias here in saying drop psychology and English.
Truthfully though, psychology has two of the most memory intensive exams that were traditionally done in January and June. Doing them at the same time stressed me out.
In English lit you've got coursework too, so less exams! but it's really, completely up to you and which subject you enjoy most!
Hi! I'm in a similar position except I got a high A in my knowledge exam and somehow a C in the other ( I had all the knowledge but was taught poor/wrong exam technique and my source paper structure was all off.) I presume you did edexcel too? I will be resitting the source paper this year, and now have no support for it as I am the only one in my year. Any structural guidance/advice for the two questions (A and B) would be so appreciated, as I really want to come out with an A* overall, and the C was a massive shock. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (84)
18.5%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (128)
28.19%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (167)
36.78%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (61)
13.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.08%

Watched Threads