OwenEllicott
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there,
I am unsure about whether I will get an offer or not. I am only applying to one uni where I have already achieved the grades.

At AS I got:
MEI - Maths - A (273/300) (C1 - 86, C2 - 98, M1- 89)
Aqa - Sociology - B
Ocr a - Physics - C
Aqa - History - C

Next year I'm doing at the moment Maths (A2), sociology (A2), Physics (A2), Further Maths (AS) and Further Maths (A2). But I am unsure whether that's too much work and I'll end up failing all my results. The uni's I have looked at for actuarial science is
City University London - A*AA
University of Kent - AAA
Heriot Watt - AAB
UEA - AAB
Kingston - BBB

I am, not sure whether I should do a different course or not. I think my personnel statement will be good as I am doing volunteer work at the moment, and I am reading two books on the fundamentals of Actuarial Science. I also go to college which isn't seen as that good, for example I came top in the year in Maths by ten marks.

Any information on either my AS results, on what to do next year and what to do at uni would be useful
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OwenEllicott)
Hi there,
I am unsure about whether I will get an offer or not. I am only applying to one uni where I have already achieved the grades.

At AS I got:
MEI - Maths - A (273/300) (C1 - 86, C2 - 98, M1- 89)
Aqa - Sociology - B
Ocr a - Physics - C
Aqa - History - C

Next year I'm doing at the moment Maths (A2), sociology (A2), Physics (A2), Further Maths (AS) and Further Maths (A2). But I am unsure whether that's too much work and I'll end up failing all my results. The uni's I have looked at for actuarial science is
City University London - A*AA
University of Kent - AAA
Heriot Watt - AAB
UEA - AAB
Kingston - BBB

I am, not sure whether I should do a different course or not. I think my personnel statement will be good as I am doing volunteer work at the moment, and I am reading two books on the fundamentals of Actuarial Science. I also go to college which isn't seen as that good, for example I came top in the year in Maths by ten marks.

Any information on either my AS results, on what to do next year and what to do at uni would be useful

Hi OwenEllicott,

Well done on your AS Results ABCC is a great start when heading into your A Levels!!

I'm a student at KU and was in a similar situation to you when I finished my AS results. I'd studies Triple Music BTEC and English Lit but wanted to do a degree in English (only realising this was what I wanted to do after I got my results). I also took on an extra subject to boost my chances, but had similar worries. The main thing is to sit down and consider your own feelings and how you felt in your AS year. Maybe discuss it with a tutor or teacher at your college/sixth form and ask their opinion?

As for your personal statement, remember the admissions tutor isn't just looking for someone who has read up, but also their personality. Tell them why you want to study the particular course, what you think you can gain from it and BE HONEST. You're making a good start by looking into your options but take time to think about it and, again, ask for tutors, teachers or parents to help when writing your personal statement, sometimes other people are better at seeing how great you are!

Also go and look at Open Days! Get a feel for the course, place and staff. This should help in deciding if you really want to study something and where you will be comfortable. We have one at Kingston on the 27th September and the 11th October I've added the link here for bookings and more info.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Good Luck!

Chloe
Student Ambassador
OwenEllicott
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks, for the reply.

So with my AS results would I be able to apply for all my uni's as I am doing further maths next year and I am hoping to get a B or an A and I was wondering about how much uni's value it. Some have said it will look as good as my other a-level results.
For example if I ended up with A*(Maths) A sociology) A (further maths AS)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed