The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

If you do computer science at Herts, please read!

i want to apply to Hertfordshire uni and do computer science (BSc) however i dont really know if i will enjoy the modules and what it covers. Ive heard from some people it involves a lot of a level maths and ive heard from others it doest have any maths in it. Can you name me some things you cover in it at Hertfordshire if you take/have taken it. thanks
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm a second year CS student and here is my take on the first year. It's quite easy, little maths knowledge is required for this course and it isn't at A-level standard. Also I think you will be doing Python now instead of Java which is a nice change.

You will be covering some computation, things like finite state machines and set theory (which isn't too hard so don't worry) You will also cover some basic principles of networking and also some relational database systems (Oracle) and learning a bit of SQL (You only cover the SELECT statement and operations related to that)

And you'll have some programming tasks but these are pretty much self explanatory (ie make a function that does x)

And that's my brief overview.

Rose.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by RoseO
Hi,

I'm a second year CS student and here is my take on the first year. It's quite easy, little maths knowledge is required for this course and it isn't at A-level standard. Also I think you will be doing Python now instead of Java which is a nice change.

You will be covering some computation, things like finite state machines and set theory (which isn't too hard so don't worry) You will also cover some basic principles of networking and also some relational database systems (Oracle) and learning a bit of SQL (You only cover the SELECT statement and operations related to that)

And you'll have some programming tasks but these are pretty much self explanatory (ie make a function that does x)

And that's my brief overview.

Rose.

Hi,

i will be driving from slough to herts uni for computer science.

would like to know has anyone done this before adn how did it work fro you? and what is the timetable for computer science (networks G491) 1st year students?

would i need to come 2 or 3 times a week to uni?

many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending