AshJK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Both subjects seem really interesting, I took Ethics and Philosophy at GCSE and I'm hoping to get A/A*, I really enjoyed the subject. I'm stuck on which two I should choose at Alevel. Any similarities, differences (other than the obvious! ) what you really enjoyed about the subjects, who would you recommend the subject to based on their interest etc anything that will help me choose between the two.

Im planning on taking
Maths, Bio, Chem, ethi and phil/phil
Everglow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love all things ethical and philosophical so naturally I'm inclined to suggest both are good picks.

Philosophy (as opposed to Ethics & Philosophy) will focus more on things like Epistemology (the theory of knowledge) and Metaphysics (issues like free will existing beyond the physical world). Philosophy will ask more of the fundamental questions of the world whilst Ethics & Philosophy will be geared more towards Moral Philosophy which surrounds human behavior. There will certainly be crossovers, but to decide which subject is for you, you really just have to ask yourself if you're more interested in questions like 'is it morally right to do x' or 'am I the the only thing that exists'. Both are great though, so I don't think you can go too far wrong.

I hope this helps.
AshJK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thankyou I really appreciate it! Did you study any of the two at Alevel?
Everglow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did Religion and Ethics and got an A, but I'm about to start studying Philosophy at uni so I know a fair amount about it.

The ethics side to my A-Level included studying things like Kantian Ethics, Virtue Ethics and Utilitarianism. If you're unsure whether ethics and moral philosophy are for you, have a read about utilitarianism as it's a really good starting point and you'll know very quickly whether it strikes your interest or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (316)
83.82%
No (61)
16.18%

Watched Threads