chaoticneutral
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm about to finalise my A level choices after I get my GCSEs results on Thursday but I still don't know which to choose! It's on Eng Lang right now but I'm thinking of changing it to Lit. I did badly on my GCSE Lit exam (thanks to Harper Lee and her long ass vague book) but I know I would enjoy it over Lang. I write fiction in my spare time and have been told it's pretty decent so which subject will let me use these skills?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zmalik)
I'm about to finalise my A level choices after I get my GCSEs results on Thursday but I still don't know which to choose! It's on Eng Lang right now but I'm thinking of changing it to Lit. I did badly on my GCSE Lit exam (thanks to Harper Lee and her long ass vague book) but I know I would enjoy it over Lang. I write fiction in my spare time and have been told it's pretty decent so which subject will let me use these skills?
Wow. I am surprised you think To Kill a Mocking Bird is a 'vague' book. God, how she would be turning in her grave right now!

If you think you would prefer Lit over Lang, then there's your answer really.

Neither Lang nor Lit will cater to your writing fiction. Only the A-level Creative Writing will help you achieve that. Depending on what exam board your school/college picks, you will have both opportunities to write fiction and non-fiction in Lit or Lang anyway.

For instance; for Lit I did a creative writing on Birdsong, adding an additional chapter writing as if I were the author. For Lang, I did a magazine about domestic abuse. It will just depend on what exam board you will be on.
Dear_Rhian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In terms of practicality when it comes to applying to uni, I'd go with Lit, particularly if you're considering taking an English (or English related) degree eventually. Most places ask for an English A-Level in Lit or Lang and Lit, and don't count Lang as that said A-Level (if that makes any sense).

In all honesty though the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to pick whatever you enjoy the most. While practicality and what you're best at should be somewhat considered, when it comes down to it you should focus primarily on what you enjoy.

Good luck with your results, and good luck picking between Lang and Lit!
chaoticneutral
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Wow. I am surprised you think To Kill a Mocking Bird is a 'vague' book. God, how she would be turning in her grave right now!

If you think you would prefer Lit over Lang, then there's your answer really.

Neither Lang nor Lit will cater to your writing fiction. Only the A-level Creative Writing will help you achieve that. Depending on what exam board your school/college picks, you will have both opportunities to write fiction and non-fiction in Lit or Lang anyway.

For instance; for Lit I did a creative writing on Birdsong, adding an additional chapter writing as if I were the author. For Lang, I did a magazine about domestic abuse. It will just depend on what exam board you will be on.
Well I did thoroughly enjoy reading the TKAM, in fact I went home and read it cover to cover when we were handed it but it wasn't really a great book to answer questions on, especially the BS ones of AQA. I do apologise if I've offended you

My school's english board is AQA so I'm guessing perhaps. The other replier mentioned Lit was more respected by unis and the creative writing that you did for it sealed the deal, I'm gonna get it changed to Lit tomorrow morning, thanks!
chaoticneutral
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dear_Rhian)
In terms of practicality when it comes to applying to uni, I'd go with Lit, particularly if you're considering taking an English (or English related) degree eventually. Most places ask for an English A-Level in Lit or Lang and Lit, and don't count Lang as that said A-Level (if that makes any sense).

In all honesty though the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to pick whatever you enjoy the most. While practicality and what you're best at should be somewhat considered, when it comes down to it you should focus primarily on what you enjoy.

Good luck with your results, and good luck picking between Lang and Lit!
Thanks for replying, your message was the push I needed! I'm gonna be choosing Lit for my final enrolment tomorrow morning. I really want to get into a respected uni and if Lit will help, hell yeah I'm doing that then. If I'm cursing you in Sept, I guess I'll have to deal with it. Thanks for the good wishes!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zmalik)
Well I did thoroughly enjoy reading the TKAM, in fact I went home and read it cover to cover when we were handed it but it wasn't really a great book to answer questions on, especially the BS ones of AQA. I do apologise if I've offended you

My school's english board is AQA so I'm guessing perhaps. The other replier mentioned Lit was more respected by unis and the creative writing that you did for it sealed the deal, I'm gonna get it changed to Lit tomorrow morning, thanks!
Oh right yeah. AQA doesn't really have challenging questions on that novel. But you didn't offend me, it was just a little ill-hearted humour.

Yeah Lit is a traditional subject like History or Biology so it's well-respected. Well I don't know if you can do it for all exam boards, but most exam boards do give you an option to do the transformational writing. I was with AQA A, World War 1 Lit.

No worries. Feel free to rate my profile
chaoticneutral
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Oh right yeah. AQA doesn't really have challenging questions on that novel. But you didn't offend me, it was just a little ill-hearted humour.

Yeah Lit is a traditional subject like History or Biology so it's well-respected. Well I don't know if you can do it for all exam boards, but most exam boards do give you an option to do the transformational writing. I was with AQA A, World War 1 Lit.

No worries. Feel free to rate my profile
Nah, its okay, I just felt horrified that I had offended you. I remember one of the mock questions for TKAM was one the passage where her cousin is being a little **** and it was just like??? I hope that I get that too, I'm looking forward to the creative writing a lot!
I have done (I think, I only joined on like Tuesday)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads