Ellie456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

Looking at going on to be a Paramedic or similar career. I was looking at Paramedic Science at uni but I got CCDD in my AS's (Geog, Sociology, Psycology, Biology respectively), so I'm not sure if this is the best way in for me.

Just looking into some guidance into what to do next and the options available for me? I'm also unsure about which subject to drop, I hate geography but it was my best subject, and it has no relevance to medical subjects.

Thank you!

Ellie
benSHTEE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you can be an apprentice paramedic with London Ambulance Service, a 5 year course with the service, but I think this is hard to get in. Some uni's do a foundation course, where the requirements are lower.

Of course there is the military but I don't think there is a specific paramedic course or whatever, but the medic corps etc offers a range of oppurtunities.

In terms of the subject dropping, I would advise to keep the science one's because almost all requirements to be a paramedic require a science of some sort.

Good luck, I am trying to get into a paramedic course at Uni as well!
Happy_Holidays
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
London Ambulance dropped apprentice paramedics a while ago.

Do the subjects you feel you're most likely to enjoy and put everything into trying to pull your grades up a bit. It's not easy getting onto a paramedic course as they're very oversubscribed and so grades are one of the things they will use to sieve candidates as it's such an intensive course.
There are a few ways in that don't require full time Uni and usually don't require such high grades. At the moment West Midlands, East of England and Scotland are the only places that recruit for direct entry student paramedics. They put you through training and they don't require such high A levels, however places tend to be even more competitive than Uni and chances of getting a place on an employed course would be slim to zero at 18.

My advice would probably be to see how you do over this next year. Work your ass off to increase your grades so you have a better chance of having enough UCAS points. If the worst comes to the worst you can always redo some modules over a 3rd year whilst doing some work. Or at 19 you'd be eligible to start an access course which may suit you better anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (175)
58.72%
I don't have everything I need (123)
41.28%

Watched Threads