Budapest And Prague, Where to go?

Watch
EconWill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So me and 6 friends are going to Budapest for 3 days/nights and Prague for 3 days/nights and are wondering what things we should do. Unfortunatley we aren't there Friday or Saturday night so can't go to the Bath parties..

So far we are thinking the ruin bars, a shooting range and bungee jumps.

We looking for daytime activities, but mainly weird restaurants and good nightclubs and bars.

Thanks in advance!
Dr Pesto
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to Prague next month as well, so I'd be interested in hearing some ideas.
interact
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i was in a shop and i heard this nice song and it kept mentioning budapest

budapest youuuuu budapest youuuuu
Legal_eagle2012
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Going to both of these next month as well, so subscribing!!
domjohnson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Walk down the river in both...especially Budapest. They are both big cities but there is probably more to see in Budapest. When we went, we just wandered around a lot - though there was still stuff left to see in both! Worth seeing the fisherman's bastion, parliament building and castle in Budapest - all situated along the river. In Prague, the astromonical clock is of course very nice but the square in the Stari Grad in which it is situated is probably nicer. Either way, both are pretty beautiful cities. If you're staying in a hostel they'll give you some advice on where to go/what to do.
EconWill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by domjohnson)
Walk down the river in both...especially Budapest. They are both big cities but there is probably more to see in Budapest. When we went, we just wandered around a lot - though there was still stuff left to see in both! Worth seeing the fisherman's bastion, parliament building and castle in Budapest - all situated along the river. In Prague, the astromonical clock is of course very nice but the square in the Stari Grad in which it is situated is probably nicer. Either way, both are pretty beautiful cities. If you're staying in a hostel they'll give you some advice on where to go/what to do.
Thanks and yes we are staying in a hostel!
xmarilynx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In Prague there's a monastery where the monks make their own beer, and you get a stunning view over the city. It's also near to a smaller version of the Eiffel tower. I didn't get round to it when I was there, but the Jewish quarter is meant to be worth checking out too. It was perfectly conserved during the Second World War as Hitler wanted it to be a museum of living jews. On a more cheerful note, if the weather is good try some absinthe icecream!

I wouldn't worry too much about planning activities in Prague, because the city is small enough and beautiful enough to just wander around and find cool stuff - just don't spend the entire three days in the super touristy area around Charles' Bridge

In Budapest, make sure you check out the Bda castle. The ruins are free and you get a stunning view of the river and pretty buildings opposite - usually considered to be the most beautiful view of the city.
Jesswales
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to Prague a couple of years ago with my mum and sister, and we found this cool club called Cross club! There a couple of different floors with different music, and the outside is very interesting to look at

http://www.crossclub.cz/cs/ - thats the link
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Budapest is barmy. The holy grail of ruin bars is Szimpla, in the Jewish district, slightly east of Deák ferenc tér. The most famous bath is Szechenyi, in the main park in Pest, but I think Gellért on the Buda side is more interesting. Giant ornately decorated indoor pool, maze-like network of hot baths, steam rooms and the like. The small lazy river in the Szechenyi bath was great fun though - basically a circle with a varying current, sometimes it propels you round at speed.

Two restaurants I can definitely recommend: number one is Frici Papa on Király ut. Quality is low, but a great introduction to Hungarian food and it is ridiculously cheap - fill yourself to bursting point for about 7 euro.

Number two is Pozsonyi Kisvendéglő. Just north of Margaret's bridge. This has to be one of my favourite restaurants in the world. An old-world bar slash restaurant that I'd be equally comfortable dining and drinking in. I've been twice and the second time I was so amazed with the quality price ratio that I took a photo of the receipt and posted it on Twitter:

Spoiler:
Show
Dreher 5dl = pint of beer
gulyásleves = goulash soop
brassói aprópecsenye = pork brassoi (typically Hungarian, google it)
folyó bor = red wine
presszó kávé = espresso

3290 ft = about 11 euro. An absolutely stupidly low price.

As for nighttime activities, woe betide me for saying this but I had a blast on the pub crawls. Almost exclusively Brits, Americans and Australians but sometimes that's all you need
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Budapest for history (and goulash obviously), Prague for anything else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads