The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Can someone rank these in order of how good they are for preparing you for STEP?

Old format STEP questions (Late 1980s to Early 1990s)
Old Special papers
Old Oxford Entrance exam papers
Original post by FrostShot
Can someone rank these in order of how good they are for preparing you for STEP?

Old format STEP questions (Late 1980s to Early 1990s)
Old Special papers
Old Oxford Entrance exam papers

Old Oxford Entrance exam
Old Special
Old format STEP

Original post by physicsmaths
I know one or two. They are mad. They can do like 4 questions in 1:30 minutes. I would say I can think on par with them but they are just too quick and knowledgable in how to answer it as fast as possible and are very familiar with great deals of algebra that save alot of time. The biggest thing im trying now is sitting and thinking for a few minutes and then dive into the question.... **** scared for III 😁 Posted from TSR Mobile

4 questions in 90 seconds? My ****ing God, that's insane. I can't even read 4 questions in 90 seconds; it usually takes me more than 10 minutes just to read all the questions on the paper.
Original post by FunkItsMechanics
Old Oxford Entrance exam
Old Special
Old format STEP

4 questions in 90 seconds? My ****ing God, that's insane. I can't even read 4 questions in 90 seconds; it usually takes me more than 10 minutes just to read all the questions on the paper.

1 hr 30 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
1 hr 30 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 8 solutions in 3hrs is moe impressive, as that displays both speed and stamina. I am still trying to break the 6/7 solutions barrier for STEP II/III. I can do 7 in STEP I though.
Original post by Light_bulb
Hi boys I've been an quiet observer of the thread for quite a while (also sitting step I,II,III) only need I for Warwick sitting the rest to see how I fair my predicament is as follows. I would be very grateful if you can give me an insight on my situation. I have attained an A* in maths last year and have a pretty high UMS in my FM AS. I have sat FP2 this summer and achieved 90+ and 90+ in my M2 module which is currently in my FM AS. I have S2 and FP3 on the 22nd whilst very confident with S2 I haven't had the time I would of liked to prepare for fp3 due to STEP prep. Thus I do not think I can achieve 90+ums. However if I average 90 in fp2 m2 and s2 can my FP3 be placed in AS further maths leading me only to need 30 ums or so to get 480ums to get an A* in further?

Yep you should be fine. It's 90+ UMS average across your best three modules which don't end with a 1 (so can't be M1, S1, FP1 or D1). It doesn't matter if FP3 isn't one of the ones in which you got 90+ UMS.
Original post by shamika
Yep you should be fine. It's 90+ UMS average across your best three modules which don't end with a 1 (so can't be M1, S1, FP1 or D1). It doesn't matter if FP3 isn't one of the ones in which you got 90+ UMS.

Hi, I'm sitting STEP 1 on Monday, so there isn't much time for revision left :smile:, so I'll ask a more general question.
As you seem to be good at giving advice, do you have any tips on picking questions? I often fall into the trap of trying a question that looks easy on the surface but becomes impossible as you progress deeper into it. Is there a general pattern in what questions people tend to find easier/harder? Thanks!
Original post by DFranklin

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by DFranklin
So, for amusement, I had a go at doing 4 questions from STEP III 2014. Should be noted this wasn't entirely "unseen" but in general I can see how a question will go quite easily so I don't think it made that much difference. (But if it was any of you I'd be warning it does make a big difference, so maybe I'm just a hypocrit!)

Spoiler

tl;dr: 4 questions in 1hr18. I had forgotten how doing questions at exam speed is *hard work*. I don't think I could have sustained that pace much longer. I made more mistakes than I should have - the balance between speed and accuracy is hard to get right. And I was lucky not to have picked any "bad" questions.

Spoiler

Can anybody here explain why curl(F)=0    F\displaystyle curl (\vec{F})=0 \iff \vec{F} is conservative i.e. (f s.t f=F\displaystyle \exists f~s.t~\nabla f=\vec{F})? I know it's not step but I want to know why it is true?
oops

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Brubeckian
Wow for 2014 III Q8 part I, I didn't even think about summing the inequality

Spoiler

Original post by SamKeene

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't want a hint but is STEP I 2000 Q2 part 2 actually disgusting or is there a neat solution? I'd like to know in advance. :colondollar:
Original post by tridianprime
I don't want a hint but is STEP I 2000 Q2 part 2 actually disgusting or is there a neat solution? I'd like to know in advance. :colondollar:

It's basically only disgusting if you make it out to be disgusting. Pick the clearest diagram to convey your method and it won't be disgusting, even though it has the same amount of content and the same method as any other.
Original post by lllllllllll
How do you even know it's an ego boost? If he really wanted to show off and up his ego he'd be blasting out all his pHD mathematics and using rieman-zeta functions to solve quadratic equations.

Plus I don't think he has a phd anyway. TeeEm does though in fluid mechanics. He is a beast.
Original post by YimY
STEP III 2014 question 9

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by CancerousProblem
It's basically only disgusting if you make it out to be disgusting. Pick the clearest diagram to convey your method and it won't be disgusting, even though it has the same amount of content and the same method as any other.

Diagram? Which diagram?

The question is Q2 here:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/stcs/STEP/2000paperI.pdf

Oh dear, that does look disgusting...
Diagram? Which diagram?

The question is Q2 here:

Yes. Notice that the result you have to show is linked to the first part of the question as well.
Diagram? Which diagram?

The question is Q2 here:

There is a neat (or at least much neater than the obvious route) solution. I don't remember it being particularly easy to see though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending