The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
deianra
Sweetling, I'm a better candidate than you'd ever be. :rolleyes:

NB: Not this arrogant usually :redface:

how do u know?
for goodness sakes! I am fed up with people trying to justify which subjects r proper and which r not! Look yea, not every1 needs biology and chemistry and all that other crap, not saying they're irrelevant but i am saying that just because u do those doesnt mean that ur better than every1 else. Things like science can only lead u in2 a specific job, medicine. U dont need 2 do science 2 b a nurse bcoz u need xperience. I shud no bcoz i have a relatve whos a nurse, and only doc's work with medicine, and not every1 can be a doc. Jus bcoz its hard work dozent mean that it will get u far. Soz 2 burst ur bubble. If u do maths, in a personal view, the furthest u can go is to work teaching maths bcoz u only need GCSE maths 2 work in a bank and ACCOUNTING on the other hand will be more relevant. Also,media is definately not a dos. 2 all u science and maths majors, can u do media. not bein offensive but geeky people will not have a clue with media bcoz u need 2 b sociable and fun with unoriginal ideas (unless u decide 2 work 4 a science magazine). Media can lead u in2 a number of jobs:advertising, journalism, publishing etc, which are also high paying jobs. Music is hard within itself cos u need 2 b very creative and its not a dos, its an art, as is drama and art. I cnt b bothred 2 go on more but if ne1 disagrees i would b happy 2 continu da debate! :biggrin:
Reply 222
Personally, I believe that all the above "mickey mouse" subjects are valid and worthwhile.
People who attach these "labels" to these subjects are merely entrenched in the old style of education which restricted subjects to those which were relevant in the past.

Why do such people what to patronise and insult those who take these "mickey mouse" subjects?
People taking these subjects obviously enjoy learning them and find them interesting/useful, so why judge them?
Red
Personally, I believe that all the above "mickey mouse" subjects are valid and worthwhile.
People who attach these "labels" to these subjects are merely entrenched in the old style of education which restricted subjects to those which were relevant in the past.

Why do such people what to patronise and insult those who take these "mickey mouse" subjects?
People taking these subjects obviously enjoy learning them and find them interesting/useful, so why judge them?

EXACTLY my point! :biggrin:
Reply 224
icetopaz_h454
for goodness sakes! I am fed up with people trying to justify which subjects r proper and which r not! Look yea, not every1 needs biology and chemistry and all that other crap, not saying they're irrelevant but i am saying that just because u do those doesnt mean that ur better than every1 else. Things like science can only lead u in2 a specific job, medicine. U dont need 2 do science 2 b a nurse bcoz u need xperience. I shud no bcoz i have a relatve whos a nurse, and only doc's work with medicine, and not every1 can be a doc. Jus bcoz its hard work dozent mean that it will get u far. Soz 2 burst ur bubble. If u do maths, in a personal view, the furthest u can go is to work teaching maths bcoz u only need GCSE maths 2 work in a bank and ACCOUNTING on the other hand will be more relevant. Also,media is definately not a dos. 2 all u science and maths majors, can u do media. not bein offensive but geeky people will not have a clue with media bcoz u need 2 b sociable and fun with unoriginal ideas (unless u decide 2 work 4 a science magazine). Media can lead u in2 a number of jobs:advertising, journalism, publishing etc, which are also high paying jobs. Music is hard within itself cos u need 2 b very creative and its not a dos, its an art, as is drama and art. I cnt b bothred 2 go on more but if ne1 disagrees i would b happy 2 continu da debate! :biggrin:

That's simply idiotic.
It depends on what way you look at things, It could be argued that Biology is easy cause all you do is regurgitate facts where as in essay writing subjects such as English lit you have to apply knowledge in a fluent way! It depends what you are good at. If you are good at essay writing or good at remembering facts. This arguement is bullshit. Everyone is different, it's wrong for you to belittle someones A levels cause you don't do the subject, and therefore have no idea how hard it is or easy it is. What gives you the right to do that? It is not anyones place to say and make others feel crap about what they are doing.
the term "mickey mouse" is loser talk
Reply 227
s-man
the term "mickey mouse" is loser talk

Its was just a phrase coined to imply a worthless subject. This is a debate about whether these subjects are worthless or not.

I believe that subjects are of value to a specific field, although the information covered in some of these subject may be so far removed from the reality that universities will ignore results in these and concentrate on the more traditional subjects (maths/science/language) as an estimate for the aptitude of the student. While this may render the subject less important, a student studying a particular subject is likely to read around, and learn more about the subject. This in itself is a good thing as the student is showing that he/she wants to learn about the subject. Therefore I believe that many of the subjects classified as "mickey mouse" are only "mickey mouse" in certain contexts. A person wanting to study science at university, who takes drama, may well find themselves taking a "mickey mouse" subject in the context of the degree they want to read at university. However they may well enjoy learning that subject, and that is the main point. You take a subject because you enjoy it and want to learn more, and not because it looks good. They do not have to be mutually exclusive, but they are still the subjects you choose to take.

Having said this I do believe General Studies is the only true "mickey mouse" subject, as nothing is covered in sufficient depth, to my mind, for it to be worth an A Level. Discuss.
Reply 228
I categorise subjects, in a way that I feel is more inoffensive:biggrin:

There are, real subjects...A-levels... then...
in reference to the time frame for achieving a decent grade...
Weekend subjects... (ie media)
Long weekend subjects... (ie sociology)

The comments about subjects being relevant and useful to those people, is fine. HOWEVER, when we so-called 'stuck up academics' label subjects as mickey mouse or weekend, we simply mean that they are less respected. The respectability of a mickey mouse subject is relative to the quality of the university, but be damn sure that if you get an A in Maths, its worth more in terms of currency than an A in General Studies/Media... Even for a media course. Soft options are there so the government can boast people passing exams...

I personally feel that this thread has gone out of control and labelled too many things a mickey mouse subject, undermining subjects such as English and Geography, which might very well be quite respected generally...

Yet, when it all boils down to it, its what the admissions tutours really think, and we can't help it if you're angry because that isn't your subject.
Reply 229
This debate shouldn't simply be about the respectibility of certain subjects. If subjects are offered in schools or universities then their study is being funded / subsidised by the taxpayer. The question should be whether some subjects are worth that investment.
d750
That's simply idiotic.

Whats so idiotic about that? That u dont agree with it?
Reply 231
icetopaz_h454
Whats so idiotic about that? That u dont agree with it?

No. That's not the primary reason. The point was incoherent and illogical and phrased in a profoundly stupid way.
d750
No. That's not the primary reason. The point was incoherent and illogical and phrased in a profoundly stupid way.

Incoherent and illogical the point was not thank you very much. U probably just cant understand it although it is basic words I have used to prove my point. I am just giving out reasons as to why all subjects are not mickey mouse, whatever their difficulty maybe. All subjects are relevant for some purpose or another and i dont think those that choose them should be crtisized. R u one that thinks of them as easy so critisizes those that take them, huh?
d750

And my point was not phrased in a profoundly stupid way. Gosh, what is ur probem!
Reply 234
icetopaz_h454
Incoherent and illogical the point was not thank you very much.

Umm.... Quite a turn of phrase you have there.
Reply 235
If you're just going to flame each other, why bother? Most of us were trying to discuss the topic in some way. See past the fact that you have different viewpoints, attack each others views if you will. But what the hell is attacking each other going to do? Nothing.
Oh for god's sake, give it a rest.
d750
Umm.... Quite a turn of phrase you have there.

Whatever, u say u go 2 Cambridge yet u act so immature and try to make a fool out of a child whos about 4 yrs younger than u. I pity u.
I think the main mickey moue subjects are:

Media Studies
P.E
Reply 239
It's absolutely amazing how people say subjects are "mickey mouse" subjects and have never even studied it!!!!!! How in the world do they know?

Music is apparently a very hard subject and majorly time-consuming. I don't take it but my friend does and my sister did, and from what they've told me the work there seems about as hard as any other "academic" subject. Media studies, judging from what my friend, who takes it, say, is incredibly easy. I deem Media as quite pointless, or at least in my school, simply because I visited the media class and guess what they did? They were watching sleeping beauty. Half the time the teacher isn't there and the other half they're watching pointless films for the student's pleasure, not for the subject or study - they've watched Finding Nemo, lotr, several Walt Disney films, as far as I know, and none of which is related to their course!

As long as the subject is relevant to the degree you're aiming for it's not mickey mouse - if one were to do marketing media or summit, media studies would be immensely attractive. Btw, theatre studies is not a mickey mouse subject - again don't take it but I know for a fact they do pretty much the same things as they do in Eng Lit - except it's plays they analyse rather than books (plus the drama side). Cambridge accepted it as an academic subject for NatSci (I know someone who did that, now graduated with a first).

Btw art is not a mickey mouse subject - I'd like to see anyone who thinks so try it! It's soo time-consuming and it's immensely rewarding. It simply requires a different skill to most subjects and requires more talent and imagination than anything else - the people who usually diss art are the ones who can't do it!

Hehe I've heard someone diss Neuroscience as a degree saying how easy it is - but she doesn't even do it - she has no idea what it involves.

Latest

Trending

Trending