Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidBrent)
    So far on this board the following A-level subjects have been deemed as piontless/unrespected/mickey mouse/ a joke:

Accounting
    R.S
    Media Studies
    Art
    Film studies
    Business studies
    General studies
    Sport studies
    Theatre studies
    Philosophy (its true!)
    Geography
    Sociology
    Drama
    Textiles
    Dance
    I.CT
    Law
    History of Art
    Photography
    Psychology
    English Lang
    Critical thinking
    Health and social care
    Leisure and Tourism
    Classics
    Biology (some weirdo said this on the fact that the exam mentioned the word "hedgrerow"!)
    Music

These subjects have been deemed as "proper"
    History
    English (comb or Lit)
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computing
    Economics

According to the "intelligence" on this board, that means there are 25 mickey mouse subjects and 7 proper subjects. Either there is something hugely wrong with our A-level system or the people on this board are just totally mental!

And trust me, people have dissed Geography, Classics and Biology on this board
    That is ridiculous, biology, classics, philosophy, psychology, ICT, theatre studies, art not proper subjects!?!?

I mean ok, general studies, everyone agrees gs is a waste of time. But I'm astounded by the idea that some of the above are considered Mickey Mouse Subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    That is ridiculous, biology, classics, philosophy, psychology, ICT, theatre studies, art not proper subjects!?!?

I mean ok, general studies, everyone agrees gs is a waste of time. But I'm astounded by the idea that some of the above are considered Mickey Mouse Subjects.
    i know its a joke. there are far many more 'proper subjects' that list makes it seem most people in the UK arnt doin 'proper subjects'

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is undoubtedly a proper subject in my opinion.....although i dislike the whole thing of classing proper and mickey mouse subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    Psychology is undoubtedly a proper subject in my opinion.....although i dislike the whole thing of classing proper and mickey mouse subjects
    i agree, i know some very smart people that done well in all their gcses and by looking at that list they are deemed as not doing proper subjects! well its only a list, who cares

ReputationRep:
    ok I admit that I did say philosophy was a mickey mouse subject.. but have you ever tried having a political debate with a philosopher?? I've just looked on the guardian website for grade stats.. and Media Studies has one of the lowest... it seems it harder to get an A in Media than it is in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    ok I admit that I did say philosophy was a mickey mouse subject.. but have you ever tried having a political debate with a philosopher?? I've just looked on the guardian website for grade stats.. and Media Studies has one of the lowest... it seems it harder to get an A in Media than it is in Maths.
    really?! ahh crap i was gonna do media caus i thought it would be a easy A. but i think its only harder to get a A becuase so many people do so well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    really?! ahh crap i was gonna do media caus i thought it would be a easy A. but i think its only harder to get a A becuase so many people do so well?
    lol.. don't do it if you think its going to be easy. I did it for AS (and loved it) but the amount of work I had to put in to it was a lot more than my other subjects. You have to watch countless documentaries, films.. etc which takes up a lot of time. No I think it's because lots of students underestimate the work that's needed for it and that's why so many people don't get As..maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    are you addressing me? I said psychology not philosophy if you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    lol.. don't do it if you think its going to be easy. I did it for AS (and loved it) but the amount of work I had to put in to it was a lot more than my other subjects. You have to watch countless documentaries, films.. etc which takes up a lot of time. No I think it's because lots of students underestimate the work that's needed for it and that's why so many people don't get As..maybe.
    i thought it was a walkover, my mate told me it was easy and hes not very smart. he failed other subjects and got B in media so i thought it was easy he sed all you have to do is watch the simpsons lol and make a webpage. it sounds like fun! this year A2 he done a video project which was cool too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Give it a go - I do both politics and philosophy.
    Anyting in particilar you'd like to talk about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Give it a go - I do both politics and philosophy.
    Anyting in particilar you'd like to talk about?
    lol!! Now that's a combination..

The thing is.. you can't win when you debate with someone who takes the philosophical stand point.. because nothing in philosophy is concrete so you can't prove them wrong and it gets very frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    are you addressing me? I said psychology not philosophy if you are
    .. no it was just a general statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    lol!! Now that's a combination..

The thing is.. you can't win when you debate with someone who takes the philosophical stand point.. because nothing in philosophy is concrete so you can't prove them wrong and it gets very frustrating.
    That's the absolute joy of philosophy - you never reach a dead end, there're always more avenues to be explored and different ways to look at things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i thought it was a walkover, my mate told me it was easy and hes not very smart. he failed other subjects and got B in media so i thought it was easy he sed all you have to do is watch the simpsons lol and make a webpage. it sounds like fun! this year A2 he done a video project which was cool too
    It is fun! I made a Documentary at AS.. much better than writing essays for other subjects. You should do it if you think your gonna enjoy it. I personally didn't find it a especially easy subject.

ReputationRep:
    That's the absolute joy of philosophy - you never reach a dead end, there're always more avenues to be explored and different ways to look at things.
    I'd prefer to reach a solid conclusion.. I get so frustrated by things that can't be proved either way.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people at my school took psych cause they thought it is really easy and they'll easily get a good grade, the lovely little E's and U's they got shows otherwise! They were achieving high grades in other subjects so it wasn't their ability. A lot of people on this board crictise subjects for being mickey mouse when they have no knowledge or understanding or them, they really are guessing at what they are like, so they really are in no place to assume and criticise the other a levels people are taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I'd prefer to reach a solid conclusion.. I get so frustrated by things that can't be proved either way.
    Then how oh how do you cope with doing English and Politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidBrent)
    So far on this board the following A-level subjects have been deemed as piontless/unrespected/mickey mouse/ a joke:

Accounting
    R.S
    Media Studies
    Art
    Film studies
    Business studies
    General studies
    Sport studies
    Theatre studies
    Philosophy (its true!)
    Geography
    Sociology
    Drama
    Textiles
    Dance
    I.CT
    Law
    History of Art
    Photography
    Psychology
    English Lang
    Critical thinking
    Health and social care
    Leisure and Tourism
    Classics
    Biology (some weirdo said this on the fact that the exam mentioned the word "hedgrerow"!)
    Music

These subjects have been deemed as "proper"
    History
    English (comb or Lit)
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computing
    Economics

According to the "intelligence" on this board, that means there are 25 mickey mouse subjects and 7 proper subjects. Either there is something hugely wrong with our A-level system or the people on this board are just totally mental!

And trust me, people have dissed Geography, Classics and Biology on this board
    I do history, geography, computing and general studies. GS requires absolutely no revision, and hardly any universities accept it, and STILL my school forces you to do it.

Computing is another EASY subject. It's a joke. I've done little work for it and still on the road for an A (I hope). Now history is hard, and I also think geography is pretty hard in parts - the exam itself is very hard to answer, the questions are tricky and require a lot - the content is somewhat simple though.

-=X=-

ReputationRep:
    Hey I did a post about maths being a MM subjects so how come it's still in the 'proper' catagory?

ReputationRep:
    Then how oh how do you cope with doing English and Politics?
    Politics & English- you can have an opinon in the subject and back it up with facts..

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.