Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Who appointed you omnipotent God of all Academia?
    no one?

who are you to not appreciate my opinion?

(even if you do think it is a load of *******s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    no one?

who are you to not appreciate my opinion?

(even if you do think it is a load of *******s)
    You can't seem to back up why you think electronics and the like is mickey mouse. I bet you don't even know how to wire a plug yet alone build an amplifier or DAC which is complex electronics you do at A level.

There is no way on earth you can call it mickey mouse.

A final point what do you mean by mickey mouse?

ReputationRep:
    and you know all about maths to say how hard it is?

i realise lots of you think everything isnt mickey mouse but nothing you can say will do anything to change my mind.

and my system makes perfect sense, to me at least. besides, like i said, i do do one mickey mouse subject.

and i forgot philosophy under 'proper' subjects.
    Fine, everyone in the entire country will defer to you when selecting their a'levels just to make sure they match your subjectively defined list of non (mindlessly reiterated phrase coming up) 'mickey mouse' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Kikzen... your system is ridiculous.

Subjects are less respected because they differ from the classic core of education? - What are you on, computer studies is a subject that is very respected by employers.

Electronics would be very respected among electricians.

I think you need to restate why you believe certain subjects are 'mickey mouse', and work out what exactly it is u mean by 'mickey mouse'.

ReputationRep:
    IMO the definition of a mickey mouse subject is,

"A subject that is taken up by a pupil for the sake of it and/or because they need to fill their option blocks and think that this particular subject will be easy."

That's why in my school: RS, Govtpol, English Language, Media, Business, Psychology etc. - are all mickey mouse subjects.

If somebody genuinely and seriously wants to do media studies because they want to be a journalist and/or they want to study media techniques then media is nto mickey for them, however if somebody wants to take mediabecause their friend in the year above said itwas an easy A, then it is mickey mouse.

That's why Maths,sciences, languages, history, geog, music and art etc. aren't seen as mickey mouse - because nobody takes them for the sake of it.

So stop offending people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nobody should be made to feel bad about their A level options. The END!!

ReputationRep:
    Is that the official quotation... or is that something u made up, i'd like to see the source if u have a link.

So you believe mickey mouse subjects are mickey mouse simply because:

a: someone you know got an 'a' in it.

b: some idiot took a subject expecting it to be easy.

wow, thats definitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You can't seem to back up why you think electronics and the like is mickey mouse. I bet you don't even know how to wire a plug yet alone build an amplifier or DAC which is complex electronics you do at A level.

There is no way on earth you can call it mickey mouse.

A final point what do you mean by mickey mouse?
    :rolleyes:

no i dont, but by the same token, do you know how to solve certain maths problems?

mickey mouse subjects imo are worthless. things that dont deserve a levels. talking about something i do have experience of; computing. two years of this rubbish has left me with nothing. i've gained a few minor skills (some weak programming in vb ooh yeah) but it doesnt feel like a good use of two years.

whereas, in french ive learnt more tenses etc - this is a further step towards fluency in another language.

geography even; even though im not going to use anything i learnt, ive actually learnt (and subsequently, forgotten) lots of stuff.

i dont know how i decide what is and what isnt a mickey mouse subject to be honest. its not just things i dislike or things i find hard that become mickey mouse; art is 'proper' subject but im absolutely crap at it. difficulty has nothing to do with my decision either; apparently computing has the lowest pass rate (or something) but ive still decided it's crap.

but yes, the decisions i make are subjective (why did you feel it was necessary to highlight this? i never said i had some sort of magical non-mickey-mouse decider formula).

and why do you assume i want to impose my opinion on everyone else? i have never said 'follow my opinion or die' or anything like that. i dont care what people do; its up to them, but for me these subjects are worthless (i say again, i do one of these subjects).

besides, if you were really happy with your choice surely you'd be able to just shrug me off as some ignorant retard. theres no need to be offended by whatever i say, im not trying to be offensive anyway.

i repeat again; this is all my opinion. dont listen if you dont want to. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    Is that the official quotation... or is that something u made up, i'd like to see the source if u have a link.

So you believe mickey mouse subjects are mickey mouse simply because:

a: someone you know got an 'a' in it.

b: some idiot took a subject expecting it to be easy.

wow, thats definitive.
    Thats my opinion (no toher source xcept my brain), sumthing being mickey mouse is subjective, another e.g. if somebody really wanted to explore the depths of the English language and he a deep and passionate interest for it then who is anybody to say that they have chosen a mickey mouse subject? however in my school people take english language because people say its quite easy and because they all want to take 4 AS levels and can't think of a 4th AS level to take. If you can think of any way to disagree with my opinion please go ahead...

ReputationRep:
    its fine, but dont present ur opinion as fact.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

no i dont, but by the same token, do you know how to solve certain maths problems?

mickey mouse subjects imo are worthless. things that dont deserve a levels. talking about something i do have experience of; computing. two years of this rubbish has left me with nothing. i've gained a few minor skills (some weak programming in vb ooh yeah) but it doesnt feel like a good use of two years.

whereas, in french ive learnt more tenses etc - this is a further step towards fluency in another language.

geography even; even though im not going to use anything i learnt, ive actually learnt (and subsequently, forgotten) lots of stuff.

i dont know how i decide what is and what isnt a mickey mouse subject to be honest. its not just things i dislike or things i find hard that become mickey mouse; art is 'proper' subject but im absolutely crap at it. difficulty has nothing to do with my decision either; apparently computing has the lowest pass rate (or something) but ive still decided it's crap.

but yes, the decisions i make are subjective (why did you feel it was necessary to highlight this? i never said i had some sort of magical non-mickey-mouse decider formula).

and why do you assume i want to impose my opinion on everyone else? i have never said 'follow my opinion or die' or anything like that. i dont care what people do; its up to them, but for me these subjects are worthless (i say again, i do one of these subjects).

besides, if you were really happy with your choice surely you'd be able to just shrug me off as some ignorant retard. theres no need to be offended by whatever i say, im not trying to be offensive anyway.

i repeat again; this is all my opinion. dont listen if you dont want to. :rolleyes:
    If you want to somthing useful go and do some NVQs then. For people interesting the subject electronics and computing is very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    its fine, but dont present ur opinion as fact.
    the first 3 words of my thread were in my opinion or "IMO"

ReputationRep:
    The whole argument rests on the definition of 'mickey mouse' - it is a **** term, but when people (other then yourself) refer to mickey mouse they often mean a subject that is pointless to take.

Obviously, with ur definition, anyone who took an A-level without a specific career, or interest in mind took all mickey mouse subjects, basically everyone I know.

I know people who took maths because they were good at it, not because they like it... so maths is a mickey mouse subject?

I disagree with your definition, not your opinion.

Quotation marks suggest you took the information from a source. - which is presenting it as fact.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    IMO:

Mickey Mourse Course = a course that people choose to look down on to make themselves feel a little more intelligent.

Speaking as a maths, physics and chemistry A level graduate

ReputationRep:
    gotta b media for the biggest mickey mouse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorien)
    gotta b media for the biggest mickey mouse
    I agree mate media is mickey mouse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I only did it at GCSE and it was very hard. It was very useful though, for example I wired my parents alarm system and its a proper alarm designed to be wired by engineers. There is a lot of maths involved in Electronics. Even wiring an alarm you have to have electrical basics like being able to work out the resitance (important for tracking cables, making sure too long cables are not used etc).
    lol, my dad is good at all that stuff and has this big fat electronics book, tried reading it, didn't understand one symbol or word. It looked bloody hard! I actually found GCSE maths difficult, which he used to take the piss out of as i'm not as gifted at maths as he is. What's even worse is that he's good at Art and History, which REALLY annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    Media Is A Doss!

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day "40% of all jobs are open to any degree" with regard to what you so-call mickey mouse and what isn't.

ReputationRep:
    It's none of anyones business what AS-Levels people choose. And those who clearly object to anything they consider as proper clearly worry that these people will overtake you (and I hope they do).

Someone taking Media Studies, Psychology, English Language or any other subjects some of you seem to feel are not worthy, will not take your place at Oxford, or wherever you want to go.

Does it not occur to some of you, that it is better that we become more educated, and therefore some have problems with or are tired of the typical school subjects and opt to take other subjects which they feel are more enjoyable and useful.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=

Does it not occur to some of you, that it is better that we become more educated, and therefore some have problems with or are tired of the typical school subjects and opt to take other subjects which they feel are more enjoyable and useful.[/QUOTE]

yeah so they go for doss subjects!!......now its clear why educational standards are falling!

MEDIA IS A DOSS SUBJECT

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.