Motivation

Watch this thread
tomtjl
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Recently I have seen my motivation to go to the gym decrease quite a bit. I'm still going to the gym but it seems like it's more out of habit than anything else. Anyone else feel like this? And how do you get your motivation back?
wannabeaca
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
If it's a habit surely that's a good thing because you no longer feel, 'I have to go to the gym'...you just get up a go...
drewBusby
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomtjl)
Recently I have seen my motivation to go to the gym decrease quite a bit. I'm still going to the gym but it seems like it's more out of habit than anything else. Anyone else feel like this? And how do you get your motivation back?
Look at yourself in the mirror, poverty right?

now lift
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You don't need motivation. Motivation's for the weak. It doesn't matter if you feel motivated or not, you just need to do.

Chasing motivation in my opinion is absolutely the wrong way to go about things. Nobody is motivated 24/7, everyone has their ups and downs. The difference is that when it comes to crunch time, some people put their feet up and stay home, while the others don't make excuses and fight for their goals anyway.

Motivation by its very nature is unreliable. Basing your success on it makes your success unreliable. Do you want to succeed? Then forget about how motivated you're feeling and go to the gym. How motivated you're feeling should be irrelevant. Work out what your priorities are, then do them. If you can't do that, then your problem is discipline, and the only way to cultivate discipline is by pushing yourself. So push yourself. Relying on motivation is asking to fail.
tomtjl
Rep:
(Original post by wannabeaca)
If it's a habit surely that's a good thing because you no longer feel, 'I have to go to the gym'...you just get up a go...
The fact that it is a habit is a good thing, definitely. It's no longer a chore so I always end up going to the gym, it's just no longer a joy to go to the gym.

(Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
Look at yourself in the mirror, poverty right?

now lift
Damn right. Quite motivational . Unfortunately, I'm quite sure I will never look like that.

(Original post by miser)
You don't need motivation. Motivation's for the weak. It doesn't matter if you feel motivated or not, you just need to do.

Chasing motivation in my opinion is absolutely the wrong way to go about things. Nobody is motivated 24/7, everyone has their ups and downs. The difference is that when it comes to crunch time, some people put their feet up and stay home, while the others don't make excuses and fight for their goals anyway.

Motivation by its very nature is unreliable. Basing your success on it makes your success unreliable. Do you want to succeed? Then forget about how motivated you're feeling and go to the gym. How motivated you're feeling should be irrelevant. Work out what your priorities are, then do them. If you can't do that, then your problem is discipline, and the only way to cultivate discipline is by pushing yourself. So push yourself. Relying on motivation is asking to fail.
Repped, just because that was really good advice.

I'll try phrasing my question slightly differently. I used to enjoy going to the gym and I actually looked forward to going, now however I have gotten complacent and the joy of going to the gym seems to have faded. Any advice on getting this back? I am currently going with a buddy so it's not that I'm doing it alone.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What motivated you in the first place and why is that not doing the job anymore?

For me I was motivated at first by being bigger and not being weak. I achieved that and my motivation flagged a bit. I realised I do better with external goals so looked for something challenging but possible.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I tried the gym, gave up after 2 and a half years because it wasn't getting me anywhere. Probably because I was too scared to ask for a personal trainer. Now I've learned how to cycle and I try to go everywhere on a bike.
miser
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The fact that it is a habit is a good thing, definitely. It's no longer a chore so I always end up going to the gym, it's just no longer a joy to go to the gym.

Damn right. Quite motivational . Unfortunately, I'm quite sure I will never look like that.

Repped, just because that was really good advice.

I'll try phrasing my question slightly differently. I used to enjoy going to the gym and I actually looked forward to going, now however I have gotten complacent and the joy of going to the gym seems to have faded. Any advice on getting this back? I am currently going with a buddy so it's not that I'm doing it alone.
I think there can often be a disconnect between what we want rationally, and what we want emotionally. If your brain says, "well, I should really try to lead a more healthy lifestyle," it's difficult to achieve when your heart's not in it. So if you want to create that emotional connection with the gym again, you will have to recreate it somehow.

For me, I find that continually improving and being a master of myself is a very empowering feeling. I love the idea that something is hard, but that I could do it anyway. Try to figure out what your goals are specifically, and then try to visualise yourself having met them. Imagine how it feels. You have to really want your goals, or else you'll never stick with them when the going gets tough. So find out why you want what you want and cultivate that burning desire.

Like I said, for me I love feeling that I'm being the best person I can be. I spend a lot of time working out what's important to me, and once I figure it out, that makes it easier to do things because I have a clear-cut sense of what I should be doing and why I should be doing it. I'm emotionally invested in my goals. I have the self-belief that I can achieve them and the self-esteem that I deserve them. And when I see myself progress, it feels great.

If you start associating the gym with feelings of success and achievement, I think you will start to enjoy it again.
tomtjl
Rep:
(Original post by miser)
I think there can often be a disconnect between what we want rationally, and what we want emotionally. If your brain says, "well, I should really try to lead a more healthy lifestyle," it's difficult to achieve when your heart's not in it. So if you want to create that emotional connection with the gym again, you will have to recreate it somehow.

For me, I find that continually improving and being a master of myself is a very empowering feeling. I love the idea that something is hard, but that I could do it anyway. Try to figure out what your goals are specifically, and then try to visualise yourself having met them. Imagine how it feels. You have to really want your goals, or else you'll never stick with them when the going gets tough. So find out why you want what you want and cultivate that burning desire.

Like I said, for me I love feeling that I'm being the best person I can be. I spend a lot of time working out what's important to me, and once I figure it out, that makes it easier to do things because I have a clear-cut sense of what I should be doing and why I should be doing it. I'm emotionally invested in my goals. I have the self-belief that I can achieve them and the self-esteem that I deserve them. And when I see myself progress, it feels great.

If you start associating the gym with feelings of success and achievement, I think you will start to enjoy it again.
Great advice, again! I'd rep you again if I could ;D. I will definitely try and associate the gym with success and achievement and try to figure out my exact goals. Thanks man.
miser
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Great advice, again! I'd rep you again if I could ;D. I will definitely try and associate the gym with success and achievement and try to figure out my exact goals. Thanks man.
No problem. Best of luck with your journey. :yy:
illusionz
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Enjoy lifting and don't need motivation crew

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.72%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.28%
No (116)
40%

Watched Threads