The Student Room Group

Anyone passed with little private practice?

I've done 16 hours with my instructor and around 5 hours with my dad so far. Problem is that I drive an Audi A1 in lessons and a big, old Renault Espace with my dad. I can't get used to driving two cars that are different in size and that were built about 20 years apart. My dad's car is old and clunky and I get frustrated a lot due to stalling it and doing bad gear changes (up and down). I feel more confident driving the A1 because it's a lot smoother. In certain scenarios I will also do different things with the gears depending on the car because of how different the engines are and it's confusing.

I can get a partial refund on my insurance if I cancel it within the next week. What should I do? Private practice is meant to help me to become more confident on the road but it's not doing that. Has anyone passed with no or little private practice? My instructor estimates that I will be around test standard at probably 26 hours and I'm doing 4 hours a week at the moment. Just concerned because one of the "DVSA top tips" was to do at least 20 hours private practice.
Private practice is not necessary at all. I passed first time with no private practice and had little trouble adapting to my current car ('04 Clio) It's difficult to get used to, but given enough time in it you work out how to drive it.
Agree with the post above. I did no private practice; had a go but the family car is a huge Citroen Picasso, whilst I was learning in a Ford Fiesta. I couldn't even get the Picasso to move, oh the shame! So I scrapped the idea of private practice after that.

Soon passed after 20 hours with my instructor, though I did have to spend a good few days getting used to my first car :tongue:

In short and In my humble opinion, get rid of the private practice. Not necessary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed with no private practice too :smile:
Passed with zero private practice.

Did 2 hour lessons every week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending