JCats1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok so I am a U.S student and I would like to go to Medical School in the UK. You need to have Biology HL and Chemistry HL to apply over there, however, my school only offers Chemistry SL and I am taking A-level Chemistry along with my IB to meet the requirements of medical school. Today I found out that starting next year, Chemistry HL is being offered at my school. If I take the course then I have 4 HLs and 2 SLs, in which I have exams next year. What is your opinion? Should I take the Chemistry HL course or just stick to Chemistry SL?
Neverme
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JCats1)
Ok so I am a U.S student and I would like to go to Medical School in the UK. You need to have Biology HL and Chemistry HL to apply over there, however, my school only offers Chemistry SL and I am taking A-level Chemistry along with my IB to meet the requirements of medical school. Today I found out that starting next year, Chemistry HL is being offered at my school. If I take the course then I have 4 HLs and 2 SLs, in which I have exams next year. What is your opinion? Should I take the Chemistry HL course or just stick to Chemistry SL?
Will your school allow you to take Chemistry HL in one year? If so, this sounds like a good idea as you would be able to forget about the chemistry A level, removing that pressure. Could you drop one of your HLs? There is no advantage to taking 4 HLs and having 3 would reduce your workload and be perfectly acceptable to any UK medical school
JCats1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neverme)
Will your school allow you to take Chemistry HL in one year? If so, this sounds like a good idea as you would be able to forget about the chemistry A level, removing that pressure. Could you drop one of your HLs? There is no advantage to taking 4 HLs and having 3 would reduce your workload and be perfectly acceptable to any UK medical school
In my school, the SL is the first year of HL in all subjects. I can't drop any of my HLs because English HL and History of the Americas HL is mandatory to take in my school and I have to take Biology HL for medical school. The HL Chemistry class is not confirmed but there is a chance of it forming. This sort of sucks because I paid almost $546 USD for just the AS level and I don't want to put that money to waste.
Neverme
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JCats1)
In my school, the SL is the first year of HL in all subjects. I can't drop any of my HLs because English HL and History of the Americas HL is mandatory to take in my school and I have to take Biology HL for medical school. The HL Chemistry class is not confirmed but there is a chance of it forming. This sort of sucks because I paid almost $546 USD for just the AS level and I don't want to put that money to waste.
I see... How did you do on the chem AS level?
JCats1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neverme)
I see... How did you do on the chem AS level?
Well, I don't sit the exam until January. Hopefullly I'll do really good.
MimiUNI
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take HL! Its not too much harder than SL actually, and you actually have more time to intake the information!

Check out my IB blog for more advice

ibinib.blogspot.ca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads