Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do I see so many people wanting to cheat on their Tod's Tyres coursework?? To be honest it is stupid, you will always get caught because when you are trying to cheat means you're bad at your subject and the teacher will notice that you have suddenly gone from "can't" to "can" in your coursework. You will be better off dropping the subject rather than wasteing an A-level and being branded as a cheater. You think unis will take you if you get caught cheating? It is probably easy for me to say this since I actually worked hard on my database, and actually went out to learn how to use VBA, SQL in my database. My database is pretty much perfect, it will automatically bring up information from each table in the relationships when I pick information from a combo box in my invoice form. I even got my supply to work automatically by using an update query. Pretty much I made it user friendly. But you dumbasses have to try and cheat and probably ruin another person's chances in doing well. For the people who haven't tried to cheat and worked hard ill say well done to you and I hope to see you in uni doing a programming course because you have learned to adapt to a situation and come out on top even when none of the A-level books tell you how to do some of these things you may have put into your work. And for some of you just think in that coursework all you have to do is make tables, queries, forms and then just give them names is enough well then your just lazy and did bother reading something. I had to say this and I have said it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much. In the standardisation of marks many courseworks will deemed to be ever so similar with the seemingly large amount of convoluting occurring (presuming the sharing of ideas on this board is representative).

Clearly, your coursework shall appear unique, provided it is as of the high standard you state, and it'll be people like yourself who achieve highly.

All cheaters will eventually fall down and be revealed. I would say it's impossible at A-Level for unoriginality and lack of work to succeed, even if at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    If cheaters spent the same amount of time working instead of cheating then you wouldn't need cheat, but as for what MikeP said i don't think that most of you will get caught as there are thousands of people taking this course and as you all live miles from each other you should be fine but from what i've read i think that you will fail unless you use SQL and VBA

ReputationRep:
    Its not even really marked on the system you spend so long making. Its marked on the asking of questions on it. So two systems that both meet the specification will both get marks. They won't read the write up from cover to cover. :rolleyes:
    The A2 coursework is a much better indication, it'd be really difficult to cheat at that.

ReputationRep:
    Mate. If you want to do some real programming, why not do the project in a language like VB. Doing it in access is a cop out anyway. People like my class, who actualy make the effort to learn a language get no more credit than those doing it in access. Thats what annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    Mate we are doing VB.net and VBA, you can be annoyed all you want but access aint easy to use if you use it properly. VBA is visual basic access if you do not know what it is.

ReputationRep:
    And Visual Basic Access is simply SQL with a VB front end. Not proper programming.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahahahhahaha, shows how much u know about programming, the point is that we didnt even get to choose to do it in VB, we just got told to do it in access. I would of loved to do the project on VB.net because its more fun plus i know more about VB than i do access. It really depends on what you already know. But to b honest access is very hard if u use it properly well for me it was cos i didnt know jack about access, i done more on VB6 and VB.net, HTML, C++.

ReputationRep:
    Oh be quiet all of you, computing is an easy subject, and no matter how many mAd SkiLLzzz! you have, it does not make you a promising candidate for the computing industry. And as somebody pointed out very well, the testing of that module is exam style anyway, it doesn't matter if your implementation can make cups of tea, if you can't find an example of a sorting algorithm on demand, you're buggered. So doing it in access is no cop out, if you get what you have to in there.

ReputationRep:
    MikeP, I'm and A2 candidate and I did my AS project last year in VB, not crap access. Access is not hard, it is p*ss easy. If you think thats hard then i dunno what kind of programming you have been doing. You should ask your teacher to do it in a proper language, especially if you programme already. You are right about one thing though, the project counts for nothing at AS its all in the exam. A2 is much more difficult though.

Oh, and Fishface, you need to re-evaluate your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Which subject is this for? Computing?

MikeP: Good for you. Theres no need to come onto the forums and state that your work is the greatest thing ever. If you don't like the threads, don't post in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    MikeP, I'm and A2 candidate and I did my AS project last year in VB, not crap access. Access is not hard, it is p*ss easy. If you think thats hard then i dunno what kind of programming you have been doing. You should ask your teacher to do it in a proper language, especially if you programme already. You are right about one thing though, the project counts for nothing at AS its all in the exam. A2 is much more difficult though.

Oh, and Fishface, you need to re-evaluate your thoughts.
    Which part of my post did you think was wrong?

ReputationRep:
    well my teacher told us to do it in access and we didnt have a choice either. its not my fault if the teachers are all a bunch of f*cks who know nothing.
    coursework wont be the same anyway, unless you sent someone who hadnt done the coursework your database, or sent it to someone you dont trust, and anyway, you did it first so would have implemented it better anyway so you wouldnt get done for cheating if you did share your DB (although thats a bit dumb)
    yeah i asked someone to help me, but i hope they knew (im sure they did) that i wasnt trying to copy their work, and im sure they wouldnt have helped me if they thought that. i knew what i needed just wasnt sure. and if our teacher cant provide any advice then why not get some help?
    and i have read books, and will add VB stuff to my database, some of us just havent had the expert teaching some of you are so lucky to recieve.

ReputationRep:
    I finished AQA Computing A Level last year. In my A2 I had 2 modules and 1 large project which I did in Access because that was what we had to do. For people like myself who have gone to uni and aren't doing computing it doesn't matter that I didn't do intense programming. However, some of my best mates who are doing computing had to spend the whole summer learning new programming languages. So I agree it should incorporate more of that.

But I wouldn't call Computing piss easy either. There is a lot of boring stuff to learn and of 6 modules only 1 is coursework. For some people who know everything there is to know about computers it may be a doss subject, but I worked really hard to get an A, of which only a few in my class did. If it were that easy then everyone would pass but if you look at national statistics - computing has 1 of the lowest pass percentages.

Thunderstorm, If your project was succesful using access then you chose the correct tool.The cretins who think that the only way to answer the problem is to start from scratch with VB or whatever have obviously missed the entire point of the course. There is no point in re-inventing the wheel.
    Let me share one quick story with you: I occasionally do contracts for large companies; writing automative code. I can use VB,C,Delphi ; however I always analyse a job first and if an application exixts that can be modified to do the job required then I start from here; I do not start from scratch. I can often write the required goods using say excel as the front end in a matter of hours; starting from scratch would take days.

max

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. It didnt say you needed to program from stratch anywhere. if you ask me, if you dont have previous VB experience attempting the project in it is pathetic as you are creating a massive amount of extra work for yourself!
    and no computing isnt piss easy. i thought gcse ict was piss easy, and got top grade, but computing will only be easy if youve already done all the stuff in the course which for most people isnt really that likely. i challenge someone to tell me that they actually never found a lesson hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Flavian)
    Thunderstorm, If your project was succesful using access then you chose the correct tool.The cretins who think that the only way to answer the problem is to start from scratch with VB or whatever have obviously missed the entire point of the course. There is no point in re-inventing the wheel.
    Let me share one quick story with you: I occasionally do contracts for large companies; writing automative code. I can use VB,C,Delphi ; however I always analyse a job first and if an application exixts that can be modified to do the job required then I start from here; I do not start from scratch. I can often write the required goods using say excel as the front end in a matter of hours; starting from scratch would take days.

max
    Yes. This is what I was trying to say. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Flavian)

max
    And do you charge a new project by "starting from scratch" price level whilst you are merely modifing an existing project?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunderstorm)
    Yeah. It didnt say you needed to program from stratch anywhere. if you ask me, if you dont have previous VB experience attempting the project in it is pathetic as you are creating a massive amount of extra work for yourself!
    and no computing isnt piss easy. i thought gcse ict was piss easy, and got top grade, but computing will only be easy if youve already done all the stuff in the course which for most people isnt really that likely. i challenge someone to tell me that they actually never found a lesson hard.
    It's piss easy for anybody who has used a computer in the past few years. My AQA syllabus was exceptionally bad for common sense questions. "How can the school prevent unauthorised access to the workstation?" "uhhh lock the door." "correct! 2 marks." All the technical things also end up being reduced to common sense, "What is meant by a one to many relationship?" ... I'm pretty sure anybody with a logical brain could work this one out even if they had never been in a computing lesson in their life.

(Original post by 2776)
    And do you charge a new project by "starting from scratch" price level whilst you are merely modifing an existing project?
    What a truly bizarre question !
    i) Is it any of your buisness ?
    ii) Do you care ?
    iii) Do you have any concept of how contract work is paid ?
    iv) Do you think that I would be stupid enough to try to rip a client off; or do you think that reputation is possibly quite important?

You use the word merely in a derisory sense, modying an existing project can be as complex or as straightforward as the task requires.

I would recommend that before you reply to posts in future that you engage your brain before typing commences. If it is the case that you had indeed done this and your comment is the best response that your limited abilities allowed you to offer; then you have my sympathies

max

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.