The Student Room Group

Student Finance problems

My student finance has only just gone through, now asking for my deceleration although it's only giving me a maintenance loan whereas I qualify for and need a maintenance grant, I applied for it and put my parents income in which is way below the qualifier so did I miss anything because I'm really starting to worry as I start uni on the 22nd of September and I have no idea if I'll get the finance and if I don't I simply have no way of going.
call them up and ask is the best way to find out... they may have not processed your parents income or need additional documentation from them still, remember you will get at least the loan portion and have your overdraft so even if the rest is delayed you will be okay to start uni and you will eventually receive what you are entitled to
Original post by loveridge96
My student finance has only just gone through, now asking for my deceleration although it's only giving me a maintenance loan whereas I qualify for and need a maintenance grant, I applied for it and put my parents income in which is way below the qualifier so did I miss anything because I'm really starting to worry as I start uni on the 22nd of September and I have no idea if I'll get the finance and if I don't I simply have no way of going.

I'm not an expert at student finance but every Wednesday TSR has an expert from the student finance company to answer questions live on the forums. It uses this forum here, head over an ask him as he will be able to tell you more than most of us here. :smile:
Reply 3
I'm in the same situation. I got a letter which has all the details the finance I will receive. It has my tuition loan and maintenance loan but no maintenance grant, even though I should be eligible for one, and requested one when applying for finance. In the summary of the letter I have it says the only finance I will receive for the academic year 2014/15 is my maintenance loan. Strangely enough I also start on the 22nd of September.
Reply 4
Original post by Sutty_
I'm in the same situation. I got a letter which has all the details the finance I will receive. It has my tuition loan and maintenance loan but no maintenance grant, even though I should be eligible for one, and requested one when applying for finance. In the summary of the letter I have it says the only finance I will receive for the academic year 2014/15 is my maintenance loan. Strangely enough I also start on the 22nd of September.

What are you going to do about it? I rang them today and they told me they'd call me back but they never did I'm worried because I can't go uni without it.
Reply 5
Original post by loveridge96
What are you going to do about it? I rang them today and they told me they'd call me back but they never did I'm worried because I can't go uni without it.

Just like you, without my grant I wont be able to go to uni. I called them today and they were actually very helpful. Are any of your parents self employed? My dad is self employed and apparently the figures he submitted don't match what HM Revenue told them (or something along those lines, the line was rubbish and the person at SFE had a pretty strong Scottish accent) . I was told that my dad would be sent a letter to correct mistake and then everything should be okay. My parents are on holiday at the moment so its hard for me to communicate with them but hopefully all should be well when I get this letter and correct the issue.

They also told me that I should fill out send back the declaration form even if the grant isn't on there as the loan/grant amounts can still change after sending it.

If your problem isn't like mine then I'm sorry I couldn't help. It seems strange that they aren't being very helpful for you, when I called pressed a few numbers, entered my customer reference number and was put through to someone, he asked me my name and put me on hold as he reviewed my application and came back 3 minutes later with the answer.
Worst come to worst, if you can't (for any reason and I'm hoping you do!) get the grant, it doesn't mean you can't go to university. I'm self-supporting myself through uni and only getting the minimum student loan possible whilst being a full time student. It is possible to live comfortably without the grant. Good luck for getting it sorted, but just as a back up :smile: x
Reply 7
Apparently my figures didn't match either, although my mother isn't self employed, and thank you for the encouragement, regardless i'm going to try and get a part time job to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest