The Student Room Group

What can a female surfing instructor do once retired?

Hi fellow surfers!

I understand that some of you may be surf instructors who can help me out. I'm female and I'm really passionate about being a surfing instructor, once I take my level 1 course I'll be all set!

But I had a thought. Everyone gets to the age where they are no longer flexible enough to move around on a board and show students how to surf. I mean, sure ill hopefully still be able to surf, I just won't be as flexible as I am now.

When men retire from being surf instructors I guess they could either run their own surf school, or go into building work or something. But what can us females do? I haven't got a qualification yet, and even if I did I might go to university to study psychology. But i won't be able to finish that degree completely as the whole qualification takes around 10 years...

I don't exactly want to be cleaning toilets or sitting behind a surf hire shack all day. I mean, I could! It's just not desirable. Is hiring surf equipment to people a reasonable job?

I currently work in a coffee shop so when the surfing season comes to a close I'm going to look for work in a coffee shop, maybe I should carry on with that when I retire?

I don't even know when I'll retire... I look at my parents (both 45) and see how unflexible they are and wonder if I'll have to retire at 35 but then if I keep active maybe I'll stay flexible!

Sorry for the long post

My main question, other than advice and a rant, is 'what exactly can a female surf instructor do after they retire?'

Thanks for your patience and thoughts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
out of interest, how old are you?
Reply 2
Teach P.E. Idk
Why can't women run their own surf schools?
Reply 4
Original post by bottled
out of interest, how old are you?

I'm 16 I'm October, so I'm planning to take my level 1 instructor course in my GAP year in 2017.

ApeMod, I don't know if I'll be able to teach PE simply because I don't want to be an older teacher teaching PE. No offence to anyone, but I know from looking at the PE staff at my school that I have different opinions on the older staff....

Trasitzy, I could! But do I need to get a qualification or something in tourism?

Thanks for all the advice guys! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by hatcs001
I'm 16 I'm October, so I'm planning to take my level 1 instructor course in my GAP year in 2017.

ApeMod, I don't know if I'll be able to teach PE simply because I don't want to be an older teacher teaching PE. No offence to anyone, but I know from looking at the PE staff at my school that I have different opinions on the older staff....

Trasitzy, I could! But do I need to get a qualification or something in tourism?

Thanks for all the advice guys! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's lots of types of sports/leisure jobs around. Councils need staff to run their leisure centres and facilities. They also need sports development officers. Private sector leisure/fitness firms and sports clubs need the same. One of the best ways to get into this work are the Council apprenticeships schemes. You only need GCSEs to get on them although they are probably very competitive these days.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending