A* at A-levels!

Watch this thread
Skill Twix
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If you get a B in a particular subject at AS levels,will you be able to get an A* in
that subject at A2 levels!
harrybithell196
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Skill Twix)
If you get a B in a particular subject at AS levels,will you be able to get an A* in
that subject at A2 levels!
Nope, you need to have an A at AS Level in order to get an A* at A2. Sorry!
A sheesh
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yh. U need 90% across a2 and an average of 80% across the 2yrs

so ifu scrape a B first yr with 70% and 90% in the a2 yr youll get an a*

as 70+90 is 160 divide by 2 is average of 80 across the two yrs and you have 90 in a2

so yes if u have a B you can get an A* you could also get a C
Skill Twix
Rep:
(Original post by harrybithell196)
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/C...709_s13_gt.pdf
I can't get this!I was looking for physics threshold.It is possible but for Maths,very unlikely!
Dear_Rhian
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Well I had a B at AS and turned it into can A* in A2, so it's possible! Although that was in Religious Studies, but it's possible in other subjects too.

I think the basic rule is that you need 80% overall in the subject, and 90% overall in A2 to get an A*.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
This is wrong information, don't listen to this....

2 requirements:
80% Average overall (AS and A2)
90% Average on A2 units

there is a thread all about A*s and questions about it, go there. So yes it is possible to get an A* with just a B at AS level.
EliseChocolate
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yup, I did it for English Lit. Might depend on how high the B is, I was only one UMS off an A at AS. But it can be done!!
rpa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Can you still get an A* at A2 with a C at AS level?
peterith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Actually, for CIE, you need an average of 90% for AS and A2 combine. Since you got less than 80 in AS, there is no way you can get an average of 90 from A2....
rpa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
whats CIE?
Haleyparker
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
How does one get a world prize?
rpa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing edexcel so I need 80% across AS and A2 and 90% across A2?
peterith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rpa)
whats CIE?
This is why I hate my school for having only CIE A-levels..... CIE seems like a less important board compared to others
peterith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

I read about a guy who sat A level with 80+ average across the whole a level and 90+ for A2. But he didn't get an A* because his AS average was less than 80....
Robertus
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Completely wrong information. Don't listen to this.

It'll likely be more difficult to get an A* with a B at AS, yes, but far from impossible. You'd be surprised at how much you can improve your grade from AS to A2, especially if your individual unit/module scores were near the grade boundaries.

Of course, if you're properly dedicated to getting an A* in something in particular, retaking an AS paper or two is a good bet. Just make sure you don't put too much on your plate, as you need to be giving it your all in your A2 exams if you want the top grades.
Skill Twix
Rep:
So I suppose all of us need to work hard!Good luck guys!Cheers for the motivation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed