bob1957
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm new to TSR and have a query regarding payment of tuition fees by SFE which I hope you can help me with. Firstly, I apologise for this rather lengthy post.

I'm a mature student who started a four year full time course at university in 2013 receiving full funding from SFE for payment of tuition fees. This was a course with an integrated foundation year with progression to a chosen school for a BSc degree, subject to achieveing a specific passmark. Unfortunately I didn't achieve the required passmark for my chosen school so could not study the subject I wanted to at my current university, but was offered alternative schools/subjects which I wasn't happy with. However, my passmark for the foundation year was accepted by another university and I was offered a place starting in 2014 on year one of their full time BSc degree course to study the subject I wanted.

Being a bit naïve on how this would affect funding of tuition fees from SFE I accepted the place at the new university and noitified SFE of the changes, only to be later informed by SFE that funding for the first year tuition fees at my new university was not available. After talking a number of times to SFE advisors on the phone I am informed that I have lost two years tuition fee funding because of previous study rules.

One year has been reduced because the transfer from my former university to my new one is classed as one years previous study. After belatedly reading the previous study rules I must accept this is correct.

The second year reduction is because in 1976 I first started university as a 18 year old student sponsored by the company I worked for on what was known as a four year sandwich degree course, which included a years work experience related to my study. Unfortunately, the company I worked for began to experience financial difficulties and could not continue sponsoring me, so I had to leave university after my first year. I did declare this on my initial application to SFE for funding and now it seems I am now being penalised nearly 40 years later for events which were then outside my control.

My question therefore is should the events of my previous study in 1976 have been taken into account when deciding my current funding. I do intend to appeal the funding decision and wonder how likely my appeal would succeed based on my argument.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help.

Bob
bob1957
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just thought I would update the forum. After submitting my appeal, I was informed earlier this week by SFE that my appeal based on my compelling personal reasons has been accepted. SFE have taken the view that a previous year of study should not count as PC when calculating my entitlement for 2014/15.

Cheers,

Bob
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello bob1957,

I am very happy to hear that you have sorted this issue out.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (58)
29.15%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.54%
No I am happy with my choice (110)
55.28%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.04%

Watched Threads