The Student Room Group

Lost weight because of work/stress

Been training regularly too but today I took my weight and I've lost 2 pounds. I look lighter too. I have been behind on some of my meals as I have not had enough time to eat as much as I need to. I have not been managing my meal times effectively (with better options such as instant oats).

My routine atm is also a bit too taxing when I have not been recovering very well. ICF 5x5.

I just feel a bit lost with it all. I am 6.5 months into training and by losing these two pounds its set me back a bit even though I hit my deadlift personal best the other day. So, I have gotten stronger in terms of my max deadlift for 4-5 reps. But, my squat is stuck. I can squat 125kg for 5 reps but fatigue has meant that i am missing reps on the third set.

I am only at 163 pounds now. So, a bit too light for my liking.
Take a week off training.
Reply 2
Original post by h3isenberg

This, and remember to eat all of your meals. If you don't eat, you don't grow. if you're finding it difficult to get all your meals, drink some weight gainer to make up for it.

Anecdote: I just took 5 days off training and ate my meals, and my old max weight on machines and barbells is my new weight for sets. Never underestimate the power of rest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

Yeah, good idea, I am stressed out and now that i've lost weight I feel worse physically. Always tierd. I think I have to up my calories now that I am starting work and will be moving about more.

I need to readjust my approach to work so that I am growing even though I'm in a 9-5 starting from next week. So I am guessing that instant oats and milk combo as a drink will be a good idea? Then have full meals anytime I can outside the office. http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/instant-oats/10529296.html

It's just tougher now that I'm moving house and starting in a 9-5 now.

Funny thing is, my lifts were getting stronger. For a start I could do 8-10 reps of chin ups with 5kg added on the other day. But, I've just gotten lighter and my squat has gone to **** at 125kg.
Reply 4
Original post by VannR
This, and remember to eat all of your meals. If you don't eat, you don't grow. if you're finding it difficult to get all your meals, drink some weight gainer to make up for it.

Anecdote: I just took 5 days off training and ate my meals, and my old max weight on machines and barbells is my new weight for sets. Never underestimate the power of rest.

Tbh I still feel fried from my deadlifts and rows the other day. 135kg for 4.5 reps felt like a tonne. I could only do one set of lighter squats afterwards.
And my row went to **** too.

Press was good though. But any posterior chain work just had a lot of fatigue with it.

I am going to eat a lot in the next few days then get back to training. Also, I have not had much rest at all in the past 6.5 months apart from the odd day or two. I feel crap.
Reply 5
Got a question, if any of you guys are at work/uni (i.e. long hours of desk)... what foods do you guys make that you can take into the office to eat efficiently? Ideally in liquid form. I might get a blender so I can blend fruit, peanut butter and other such stuff into shakes. Just need to get the calories/macros in.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Yeah, good idea, I am stressed out and now that i've lost weight I feel worse physically. Always tierd. I think I have to up my calories now that I am starting work and will be moving about more.

I need to readjust my approach to work so that I am growing even though I'm in a 9-5 starting from next week. So I am guessing that instant oats and milk combo as a drink will be a good idea? Then have full meals anytime I can outside the office. http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/instant-oats/10529296.html

It's just tougher now that I'm moving house and starting in a 9-5 now.

Funny thing is, my lifts were getting stronger. For a start I could do 8-10 reps of chin ups with 5kg added on the other day. But, I've just gotten lighter and my squat has gone to **** at 125kg.

Are you getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet? On your week off try make sure you're eating and resting adequately. I'd say you should prepare meals which you can eat during breaks at work e.g. chicken and pasta/rice. Instant Oats are good as well for getting your calories in.

You might actually gain strength after a week off, I've experienced it. Your CNS gets a nice break, muscles fully recover, and your cortisol levels will decrease.
Blending your food is useful here. Whey+oats+fruit is my normal breakfast but it's also a convenient snack food. Add peanut butter/nutella/milk/chocolate as your needs dictate.
Reply 8
Are you getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet? On your week off try make sure you're eating and resting adequately. I'd say you should prepare meals which you can eat during breaks at work e.g. chicken and pasta/rice. Instant Oats are good as well for getting your calories in.

You might actually gain strength after a week off, I've experienced it. Your CNS gets a nice break, muscles fully recover, and your cortisol levels will decrease.

Yes, good idea. If I rest I might actually put some of the weight back on if I eat. Since the stimulus from deadlifting my PB might be enough to keep the gains lean.

Vitamins and minerals, I take a multivitamin and I make sure I eat a lot of greens.

I think the problem is (well i know the problem is) that I have been behind with eating by a few hundred calories. I.e. everything has been rushed and disorganised.

Lifestyle change (work) needs lifestyle adaptation (food prep).
Reply 9
Original post by The Blind Monk
Blending your food is useful here. Whey+oats+fruit is my normal breakfast but it's also a convenient snack food. Add peanut butter/nutella/milk/chocolate as your needs dictate.

Good idea. That can be 800-900 cals in one meal.
Reply 10
I feel ****ing ****e at the moment. Burnt out, lost 2 pounds, a week of no training. ****.
Reply 11
****, you know you are burnt out when you are sitting down and feel fatigued. **** this ****, never experienced anything quite like it. Like, I don't feel physically up to lifting. Sorry for the moaning, just perplexed.

Quick Reply

Latest