The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
Below average students are penalised by not passing the exam. Above average students do well. That sounds like an effective system to me.

Actually above average students often don't do well. The ones who do well in school are the middle 80%. The top 10 and the bottom 10 do appallingly. Look at people like Richard Branson.

Schools are not a good place if you are "different"
Original post by EatAndRevise
Wearing casual clothes do not teach individuality. Having a school wear casual clothes, brings about many, many issues. Pressure is put on the students to compete with their peers on brands, and sporting teams. This pressure is unnecessary for a school, which is for education, and it just adds to the many pressure which school children are under.

If you look at my first post in the thread, you will see what school uniform teaches, and allows for.

In addition, the top schools across the World all have uniform as compulsory. This correlation is not a coincidence, I would not send my children to a school which does not have a uniform as compulsory.

No it isn't. Bring your kids up properly not to care about that.

But that is absolute crap, a uniform doesn't teach any of that. how exactly is a uniform discipline?

And I wouldn't send my child to a "top school" as I believe they pump out nice drones who can't think for themselves.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No it isn't. Bring your kids up properly not to care about that.

But that is absolute crap, a uniform doesn't teach any of that. how exactly is a uniform discipline?

And I wouldn't send my child to a "top school" as I believe they pump out nice drones who can't think for themselves.

It is just about impossible to teach a child to not care about pressures surrounding them at school, that is a silly proposition to make.

1) Having a uniform teaches a child to care for it for their uniform, as it is all they are allowed to wear to school. This means that they must keep their clothes clean, and presentable.

2) In addition, having uniform as compuslory teaches the children that they must wear the clothing which they have been told to wear. They must have top-buttons done up, shirts tucked in, and must have polished shoes.

3) It allows the students to prepare for the world of work, they will have a uniform at work, and a childhood of wearing a uniform will allow them to smoothly progress into this.

4) It teaches students to follow the rules.

There are many other things which having a uniform does, not relating to discipline:

1) It allows the pupils of the school to be recognised by the public, and by teaches outside of school. This is important if a child leaves the school when they are not meant to. It also allows the public to report incidents where a child misbehaves in public, and thus allows them to report it to the school.

2) On school trips, it allows teaches to identify their own pupils.

3) In school, it makes it much more challenging for someone who is not a part of the school to come in to the school.

Why on Earth, would you not send your child to a top school? That is idiotic, do you not want your child to have the best education, possible? That is utterly selfish.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 183
You guys are beating a dead horse here.

And I'm sorry but wearing regular clothes doesn't make bullying and struggling with identity in school any easier, it might make it worse. In fact, it definitely will. People commit suicide for being bullied, and it stems from how someone looks, including what they wear, what they lack, etc. I just don't see the issue with uniforms. Big deal, you can't wear your sparkly pink shirt, get over it lol Do you rely on a sparkly pink shirt or blue trainers that much for self expression? :rolleyes:
Reply 184
Why on Earth, would you not send your child to a top school? That is idiotic, do you not want your child to have the best education, possible? That is utterly selfish.

Why on Earth would you send your child to an institution notorious for sexual abuse?
Original post by ApeMob
You guys are beating a dead horse here.

And I'm sorry but wearing regular clothes doesn't make bullying and struggling with identity in school any easier, it might make it worse. In fact, it definitely will. People commit suicide for being bullied, and it stems from how someone looks, including what they wear, what they lack, etc. I just don't see the issue with uniforms. Big deal, you can't wear your sparkly pink shirt, get over it lol Do you rely on a sparkly pink shirt or blue trainers that much for self expression? :rolleyes:

Definitely a dead horse now.

Tyrion, if I thought I could prise you away from your beloved TSR of which you rule over as supreme queen, I would invite you to work with me as a secondary school teacher for a taste of the real world.
It is just about impossible to teach a child to not care about pressures surrounding them at school, that is a silly proposition to make.1) Having a uniform teaches a child to care for it for their uniform, as it is all they are allowed to wear to school. This means that they must keep their clothes clean, and presentable. 2) In addition, having uniform as compuslory teaches the children that they must wear the clothing which they have been told to wear. They must have top-buttons done up, shirts tucked in, and must have polished shoes. 3) It allows the students to prepare for the world of work, they will have a uniform at work, and a childhood of wearing a uniform will allow them to smoothly progress into this. 4) It teaches students to follow the rules.There are many other things which having a uniform does, not relating to discipline:1) It allows the pupils of the school to be recognised by the public, and by teaches outside of school. This is important if a child leaves the school when they are not meant to. It also allows the public to report incidents where a child misbehaves in public, and thus allows them to report it to the school.2) On school trips, it allows teaches to identify their own pupils.3) In school, it makes it much more challenging for someone who is not a part of the school to come in to the school.Why on Earth, would you not send your child to a top school? That is idiotic, do you not want your child to have the best education, possible? That is utterly selfish.
1) Not really, I never bothered looking after mine. Anyway it was my mum who'd wash/iron do all that stuff. All I had to do was throw it on, most kids are the same2) I take massive umbridge with that though. Why should they be dictated to?3) Not all places of work require uniforms and I think this should also be abolished unless the uniform is necessary4) Again this is abad thing - people should think for themselves not just follow random rulesOnto your other points1) Children are not criminals - they do not need to be stalked and monitored by the general publci. Massive invasion of privacy.2) This is the only one I agree with3) I don't understand what you mean - why would a child be sneaking in?Lastly, bvecause I dislike the way the "top" is decided and I don't feel it would provide the best opportunities for my own kids
It is just about impossible to teach a child to not care about pressures surrounding them at school, that is a silly proposition to make.

1) Having a uniform teaches a child to care for it for their uniform, as it is all they are allowed to wear to school. This means that they must keep their clothes clean, and presentable.

2) In addition, having uniform as compuslory teaches the children that they must wear the clothing which they have been told to wear. They must have top-buttons done up, shirts tucked in, and must have polished shoes.

3) It allows the students to prepare for the world of work, they will have a uniform at work, and a childhood of wearing a uniform will allow them to smoothly progress into this.

4) It teaches students to follow the rules.

There are many other things which having a uniform does, not relating to discipline:

1) It allows the pupils of the school to be recognised by the public, and by teaches outside of school. This is important if a child leaves the school when they are not meant t
Original post by n00
Why on Earth would you send your child to an institution notorious for sexual abuse?

Oh, here we go.

Which institution are you referring to?
It is just about impossible to teach a child to not care about pressures surrounding them at school, that is a silly proposition to make.1) Having a uniform teaches a child to care for it for their uniform, as it is all they are allowed to wear to school. This means that they must keep their clothes clean, and presentable. 2) In addition, having uniform as compuslory teaches the children that they must wear the clothing which they have been told to wear. They must have top-buttons done up, shirts tucked in, and must have polished shoes. 3) It allows the students to prepare for the world of work, they will have a uniform at work, and a childhood of wearing a uniform will allow them to smoothly progress into this. 4) It teaches students to follow the rules.There are many other things which having a uniform does, not relating to discipline:1) It allows the pupils of the school to be recognised by the public, and by teaches outside of school. This is important if a child leaves the school when they are not meant to. It also allows the public to report incidents where a child misbehaves in public, and thus allows them to report it to the school.2) On school trips, it allows teaches to identify their own pupils.3) In school, it makes it much more challenging for someone who is not a part of the school to come in to the school.Why on Earth, would you not send your child to a top school? That is idiotic, do you not want your child to have the best education, possible? That is utterly selfish.

1) Not really, I never bothered looking after mine. Anyway it was my mum who'd wash/iron do all that stuff. All I had to do was throw it on, most kids are the same

2) I take massive umbridge with that though. Why should they be dictated to?

3) Not all places of work require uniforms and I think this should also be abolished unless the uniform is necessary

4) Again this is abad thing - people should think for themselves not just follow random rules

Onto your other points

1) Children are not criminals - they do not need to be stalked and monitored by the general publci. Massive invasion of privacy.

2) This is the only one I agree with

3) I don't understand what you mean - why would a child be sneaking in?

Lastly, bvecause I dislike the way the "top" is decided and I don't feel it would provide the best opportunities for my own kids
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually above average students often don't do well. The ones who do well in school are the middle 80%. The top 10 and the bottom 10 do appallingly. Look at people like Richard Branson.

Schools are not a good place if you are "different"

I was wondering when you would use Richard Branson - 1 man out of goodness knows how many failed at school.

I, too, am tired of flogging this dead horse.
Yes. As long as no "offensive" clothing is worn I fail to see the problem. Uniforms abolish individuality and give the impression different is wrong.

I went to a sixth form college which had no uniform requirements, people wore whatever, had coloured hair, tattoos and piercings etc and it was a lot more accepting, tolerant and a nicer place to be than school

Sounds like a lovely place to have gone to school!

Unfortunately my school was a vastly different place. People got beat up/ picked on on the days when there was no uniform - for not wearing labels e.t.c. I didn't have enough clothes for a non-uniform policy. I was bullied on the non-uniform days. I still remember being pinched by a girl laughing at "the skinny geek in the jean jacket."

At sixth form it is different... People are a lot more mature and I agree with you there that there should be no uniform. I can wear the same thing again and again and it doesn't matter. But younger kids are incredibly cruel. At least in the schools were I'm from.

You've mentioned a few times that you don't see why this rule applies and why you need to follow it. Uniform helped me get through a tough school (the knife-y, drug-y type school.) I know I'm just one person but I know it helped others do the same. I still remember someone telling me about a friend who always wore their uniform whenever they could. It was the nicest thing they owned. For me, that's why this rule applies.

You're incredibly lucky to have gone to such a tolerant school, and again I want to reinstate that I agree that there shouldn't be uniform at sixth form.
1) Not really, I never bothered looking after mine. Anyway it was my mum who'd wash/iron do all that stuff. All I had to do was throw it on, most kids are the same2) I take massive umbridge with that though. Why should they be dictated to?3) Not all places of work require uniforms and I think this should also be abolished unless the uniform is necessary4) Again this is abad thing - people should think for themselves not just follow random rulesOnto your other points1) Children are not criminals - they do not need to be stalked and monitored by the general publci. Massive invasion of privacy.2) This is the only one I agree with3) I don't understand what you mean - why would a child be sneaking in?Lastly, bvecause I dislike the way the "top" is decided and I don't feel it would provide the best opportunities for my own kids

Quite frankly, I do not care what you did, your views have been established, and I does not shock me that you did not care for your uniform.

Because they are rules, and if you do not follow the rules you will be punished. Why do you insist on rebelling against society?

They are not "random rules", they are rules put in place for many reasons.

They are not "stalked and monitored by the general public" when they have school uniform on. I said that when they misbehave in public, wearing a school uniform allows the public to identify the school which the individual(s) belongs to, and then will allow appropriate action to be taken. Too many kids are well-behaved in school, but as soon as they leave the gates, they feel as if they should not be well-behaved because nobody is punishing them for their actions. There is no invasion of privacy, that is silly.

Although it is not common, taking exams for other children. Also, people can sneak into schools and steal property, wearing a uniform allows the staff to identify who is part of the school, and who is not.

The "top" is decided by the results they attain, they environment they are in, and the opportunies available to them at the school. Going to the top schools will broaden opportunities for children, they will usually get better results and this will therefore open the doors for them. It is selfish to restrict your children to 'lesser' schools as a result of your mistrust of their systems.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 193
Original post by fortune_33
Sounds like a lovely place to have gone to school!

Unfortunately my school was a vastly different place. People got beat up/ picked on on the days when there was no uniform - for not wearing labels e.t.c. I didn't have enough clothes for a non-uniform policy. I was bullied on the non-uniform days. I still remember being pinched by a girl laughing at "the skinny geek in the jean jacket."

At sixth form it is different... People are a lot more mature and I agree with you there that there should be no uniform. I can wear the same thing again and again and it doesn't matter. But younger kids are incredibly cruel. At least in the schools were I'm from.

You've mentioned a few times that you don't see why this rule applies and why you need to follow it. Uniform helped me get through a tough school (the knife-y, drug-y type school.) I know I'm just one person but I know it helped others do the same. I still remember someone telling me about a friend who always wore their uniform whenever they could. It was the nicest thing they owned. For me, that's why this rule applies.

You're incredibly lucky to have gone to such a tolerant school, and again I want to reinstate that I agree that there shouldn't be uniform at sixth form.

:sadnod: Most peoples' premise, the bold part. As for sixth form I understand that in the UK it is a college for people preparing for Uni basically, right, they are not legally mandated to attend after a certain level, true? If so, yes, some people might want to carry on with the tradition of uniforms in primary and secondary schools, but I feel uniform is a great way to reinforce necessary discipline for those groups. At 6th form probably not so necessary. Is 16 the legal adult age in UK? I'm sure at 6th form they're older than this? But whatever.
Reply 194
Quite frankly, I do not care what you did, your views have been established, and I does not shock me that you did not care for your uniform.

Because they are rules, and if you do not follow the rules you will be punished. Why do you insist on rebelling against society?

They are not "random rules", they are rules put in place for many reasons.

They are not "stalked and monitored by the general public" when they have school uniform on. I said that when they misbehave in public, wearing a school uniform allows the public to identify the school which the individual(s) belongs to, and then will allow appropriate action to be taken. Too many kids are well-behaved in school, but as soon as they leave the gates, they feel as if they should not be well-behaved because nobody is punishing them for their actions. There is no invasion of privacy, that is silly.

Although it is not common, taking exams for other children. Also, people can sneak into schools and steal property, wearing a uniform allows the staff to identify who is part of the school, and who is not.

The "top" is decided by the results they attain, they environment they are in, and the opportunies available to them at the school. Going to the top schools will broaden opportunities for children, they will usually get better results and this will therefore open the doors for them. It is selfish to restrict your children to 'lesser' schools as a result of your mistrust of their systems.

You've just been so amazing this whole thread, how do you have the patience to go on? Especially since your first part is spot on. You're like...a songbird of truth haha. Take a rest, sir lol Let's not argue the shape of air.
school uniforms are just one small part of system that is fundamentally flawed there is an easy way I think to make both camps happy look at your union shop what do you see T-shrist and hoodies with the name of the uni on in a variate of attractive colors let the kid where jeans and trainers but have the rule that they must where a school hoodie or t-shirt so you have a kind of uniform but it's a bit more free forem and more comfortable the what we have now.
Original post by ApeMob
:sadnod: Most peoples' premise, the bold part. As for sixth form I understand that in the UK it is a college for people preparing for Uni basically, right, they are not legally mandated to attend after a certain level, true? If so, yes, some people might want to carry on with the tradition of uniforms in primary and secondary schools, but I feel uniform is a great way to reinforce necessary discipline for those groups. At 6th form probably not so necessary. Is 16 the legal adult age in UK? I'm sure at 6th form they're older than this? But whatever.

No they aren't required to be there after 16. 18 is the legal adult age. 6th form should be old enough for kids to know that judging people based on what they're wearing is not a good way of judging what kind of person they are. People always went nuts on non-uniform day lol. Somehow our uniform made us all think "right, we're here to learn." Basically, that's a long winded way of saying I agree with you :smile:
No, uniform should remain. It's not a big deal anyways and it's easy to identify students when on school trips etc
Uniform prevents bullying. I don't see how any of the stuff about "individuality" or whatever can be considered more important than that.
Original post by New- Emperor
school uniforms are just one small part of system that is fundamentally flawed there is an easy way I think to make both camps happy look at your union shop what do you see T-shrist and hoodies with the name of the uni on in a variate of attractive colors let the kid where jeans and trainers but have the rule that they must where a school hoodie or t-shirt so you have a kind of uniform but it's a bit more free forem and more comfortable the what we have now.

I'd be okay with that :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending