The Student Room Group

How do YOU think the BBC should be paid for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Then which of the other options do you like better?

Whilst I think that's a good idea, the ethics committee may disagree. Got a plan B?

Then I believe the current system is the best way. We don't need more advertising. Everyone hates watching movies and having a break every 10 minutes. It always results in ITV, or whoever it is airing, cutting the film! Dreadful.
What about a lot of the people just using iplayer/BBC website and not paying anything?

If more and more people keep doing this the BBC will have to change.

The broadcasting industry is now around the place that the music industry was in the early 2000's in my opinion and that makes subscription or TV license largely outdated.

Legally dubious or not I have not paid for music since 1998 (download from Napster to about 07 then stream). With shows from sky I now stream a lot and I would do the same if Iplayer went to anything I had to pay for.

Like the Music industry the broadcasting industry has to adapt or die. If the BBC want more and sustainable funding it must sell advertisements or people will stream elsewhere.
Original post by Mackay
My answer would be a TV license. It's something which doesn't directly affect my enjoyment of BBC services. No adverts is a big pull for the BBC imo.
Why do you expect the rest of the population to fund your enjoyment? You like it, you pay for it is how it should work.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Then I believe the current system is the best way. We don't need more advertising. Everyone hates watching movies and having a break every 10 minutes. It always results in ITV, or whoever it is airing, cutting the film! Dreadful.

What about when everyone stops paying the license feee since they jsut use iplayer? Or jsut make it so you need to pay to use that as well?

I like adbreaks in films. One or two anyway. Good loo breaks or time to grab a drink etc.

Original post by Rakas21
The broadcasting industry is now around the place that the music industry was in the early 2000's in my opinion and that makes subscription or TV license largely outdated.

Legally dubious or not I have not paid for music since 1998 (download from Napster to about 07 then stream). With shows from sky I now stream a lot and I would do the same if Iplayer went to anything I had to pay for.

Like the Music industry the broadcasting industry has to adapt or die. If the BBC want more and sustainable funding it must sell advertisements or people will stream elsewhere.

Interesting. The BBC website it awesome for streaming though. Live pause, jump back to previous shows, catch up again. It's SO much better than terrible illegal low quality streams for everything imo.

I'd probably happily pay £5 a month just for the BBC site.
What about when everyone stops paying the license feee since they jsut use iplayer? Or jsut make it so you need to pay to use that as well?

I like adbreaks in films. One or two anyway. Good loo breaks or time to grab a drink etc.

Then it will be a classic 'tragedy of the commons', The Brits need to pay their fair way. Don't be surprised when it gets sold off because revenue is too low. When that happens the BBC will lose all prestige and image that it has and will just be another mediocre organisation.
I don't like the idea of adverts on the BBC, and I fully support the Governments policy of keeping the fee constant for five years.

Interesting. The BBC website it awesome for streaming though. Live pause, jump back to previous shows, catch up again. It's SO much better than terrible illegal low quality streams for everything imo.

I'd probably happily pay £5 a month just for the BBC site.

It is a great site but illegal streams are no lower quality for series (only for cinema movies), its not something I'd paid for and I know many who already don't pay the tv license.
Reply 67
Charitable donations.

Then lets see how long it takes before it gets shut down.
Its a sad day when the bcc cannot keep up with paying bosses and presenters with a ridiculous salary,or maybe its the fact that they cannot increase budget funds on tired uninspiring programmes.
TV licensing would have been scrapped years ago
I like that you don't get mind-numbing capitalist mass distraction adverts on the BBC. If people don't want to pay for the privilege to watch some of the greatest TV their is, then they should miss out.

I'd pay the license fee just to watch the documentaries the BBC produce. Granted its not all TV gold, but without it we wouldn't have David Attenborough, Top Gear, Horizon, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Sherlock, Blackadder, Doctor Who or Monty Python.
I prefer it to be advertisement based. However I do think every TV sold or imported into the country should have a flat one time tax to it.

Having said that the BBC has too damn many reruns and quite a fair few of the modern stuff coming out of it are pure crap that fails to engage a younger audience.
Original post by Alfissti
I prefer it to be advertisement based. However I do think every TV sold or imported into the country should have a flat one time tax to it.

Having said that the BBC has too damn many reruns and quite a fair few of the modern stuff coming out of it are pure crap that fails to engage a younger audience.

What about those buying a TV purely to play video games on?

Should they pay towards BBC if they have no intention of ever watching live TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't have to. You only need a TV licence to watch live TV.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
The recipient of the BBC should probably be paying for it really, unless it was a hen party gift or something.
BBC is currently funded through the license fee. do you think this is fair?

Would it be better it we just had adverts like other channels? Then it could be free. :smile:

How about a flat tax on everyone?

Or maybe a subscription to the services on a monthly basis like Netflix etc?

Or another way?

I think that subscription or ad based would be the way forward for the BBC, I prefer ITV dramas to the BBC's and they are ad based with a small amount of the licence fee. As for whether the licence fee is fair, no it's not, I used to only get French channels no BBC, ITV, 4 or 5 yet I'm forced to pay for it :s-smilie:
Scrap the licence fee, and stop imprisoning poor people who don't pay it.
I think one of the problems the BBC and its relationship with the TV Licence faces is the shift away from TV as it is broadcast to on-demand using TV equipment, for two reasons:

1. With fewer people watching TV as it is being broadcast, people will require licences less, and whilst licence revenue increased slightly last year, I think it will peak as the younger generations realise they don't actually need a licence.

2. The medium through which people gain information and enjoy entertainment even on-demand is changing. When BBC News 24 started, it was one of the main ways of getting live news as updates come in regularly and it provides it in a format other than text, which is previously the only hypermedia used on the BBC News website for breaking news. Now when you see a shooting happen in Woolwich, there are live streams of commentary (text, audio, video) on the website, which you don't need a TV Licence for.

Radio you can't practically detect users; it would be a shame to see the website develop a paywall, you can't charge for following on Twitter or liking on Facebook, and the web is so content-rich that the need to watch things on TV as they are broadcast is reduced massively.

I guess I have two points to make. The first is around whether we should encourage more TV-as-it's-broadcast viewing, and if so how. I don't feel we should specifically try and change viewing behaviours purely for the purpose of licence fee revenue; I think that's the wrong way round - the revenue will come if you do what users want/need. There are however some innovate things I'd like to see the BBC experiment with more, such as interactive TV where you get to crowd-control what happens, and 'play along at home' activities like the app for Million Pound Drop.

The second is, finally, around who should pay. Given this shift away from TV, and the difficulty in preventing and tracking activity across a wide range of online, digital and radio services, I don't think the current model is long-term sustainable unless the BBC finds a way to retain live TV viewing figures. I also think the current model isn't progressive. If you're unemployed and looking for work, the BBC's documentaries, news, weather, current affairs, etc are useful, and I also don't think poor people should have their light entertainment taken away from them because they can't afford a TV Licence (it would be around 5% of many people's weekly JSA). It's hardly living the life of luxury having a TV, as the Daily Mail would like to portray. I also think that whilst not everybody purchases a TV Licence, almost everybody consumes BBC media in some form each year. Given that pretty much everybody does, and that it should be seen as a public service (after some reforms), I feel it should be paid for through general taxation.
i hate the bbc esp the news - its so bias!!!!!
why should people have to pay to watch bias views?
ive now stop watching the bbc as a whole - i watch international news and station, why do i have to pay a lience fee to the bbc when i dont watch it? its unfair and wrong!
The two things I love most about the BBC are the shows and documentaries it produces, and the fact that it has no adverts. I'd much rather pay a fee to watch it advert-less than have to endure stupid ad breaks - I watch mainly BBC channels/catch up online, and now it drives me up the wall when I watch other channels with ads.:angry:

However, I don't think people who don't use BBC services should have to pay for them. I think a 'subscription' service or something similar would be best for sorting out who wants and will pay for for BBC channels/services from those who don't want them. No idea exactly how they'd get this to work though.:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely.

We can't forever be making exceptions to this and that.

We don't have an option to not pay for the NHS even if we don't use it.

Quick Reply

Latest