TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was wondering how much harder the A2 Further Maths course is in comparison with the AS Further Maths course, which I personally found easier than expected. I've heard that getting an A* in Further Maths is very hard...
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
I was wondering how much harder the A2 Further Maths course is in comparison with the AS Further Maths course, which I personally found easier than expected. I've heard that getting an A* in Further Maths is very hard...
I don't know your grades or the modules you've already taken so I can't say too much but I've a feeling that if you found the AS easier than you expected, you may have a similar opinion after the A2.

And it is "very hard" for the average person to get an A* in FM but for someone already at A/A* level, I wouldn't say that it would require more work than any other A Level to get an A* overall.

Saying a subject is "hard" compared to others doesn't really mean much - it depends on the person. E.g. for me, getting an A* in A Level Chemistry would've been extremely hard compared to FM which in comparison was easy.
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by notnek)
I don't know your grades or the modules you've already taken so I can't say too much but I've a feeling that if you found the AS easier than you expected, you may have a similar opinion after the A2.

And it is "very hard" for the average person to get an A* in FM but for someone already at A/A* level, I wouldn't say that it would require more work than any other A Level to get an A* overall.

Saying a subject is "hard" compared to others doesn't really mean much - it depends on the person. E.g. for me, getting an A* in A Level Chemistry would've been extremely hard compared to FM which in comparison was easy.
Well I found FP1 and M1 pretty easy, M2 was harder (Edexcell).

I wouldn't say I'm amazing at the subject; it took a lot of hard work and without it I would have probably got an E!

I think you are like me in a sense that you find Chemistry harder than the likes of maths and physics - I did chemistry as a fifth AS but dropped it because the workload and difficulty. As you seem to know a lot about F.Maths, can you tell me how you found FP2, FP3 and M3? Are they considerably harder than FP1, M1 and M2? Thanks
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
Well I found FP1 and M1 pretty easy, M2 was harder (Edexcell).

I wouldn't say I'm amazing at the subject; it took a lot of hard work and without it I would have probably got an E!

I think you are like me in a sense that you find Chemistry harder than the likes of maths and physics - I did chemistry as a fifth AS but dropped it because the workload and difficulty. As you seem to know a lot about F.Maths, can you tell me how you found FP2, FP3 and M3? Are they considerably harder than FP1, M1 and M2? Thanks
(For Edexcel: )

FP2 and 3 are considered a step up from from FP1 but if you found FP1 easy I don't think your level will drop too much (if at all) at A2 if you put in the work.

I actually found FP2 easier than FP1 when I did it, maybe because there's a lot of differential equations which I enjoyed or possibly because I put more work into it, I can't remember. But now I teach Further Maths and it's generally the case that students find FP2 and 3 harder than FP1. Last year I had a couple of students who were fine up to FP1 but then dipped noticably at FP2/3. As with all modules, the difficulty depends on the student.

Others may disagree but I found M3 quite a step up from M2. M3+4 were the two modules where I had to put the most hours into. Again, if Mechanics is your thing then it could be different for you. I don't currently teach past M2 so I don't as much about them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads