The Student Room Group

Drama School Applicants (Entry 2015)

Hello all, if there is already a thread about this please tell me as I've been looking but can't find one!:frown:

If not then feel free to chat about auditioning for drama school for entry in 2015!:biggrin: Anyone currently in drama school feel free to post and give advice for the audition process:wink:

So where are you thinking of applying and has anyone got their audition pieces sorted yet?

For me I will probably only apply to a few places as the process is expensive and as I live in Northern Ireland flights are expensive. But my plan is to audition this year for the experience, do a drama with English Literature course in uni and hopefully reapply for drama school after that again :biggrin:

Here's the performance arts connect/stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

I'm actually starting drama school in a few weeks, and I did a drama degree at uni beforehand, AND I'm from Northern Ireland! Haha, wouldn't be surprised if we've already met!

The audition process for each school differs, but only slightly. Some schools have you do one speech, some two, some even three! Most do call backs, places like RADA and LAMDA have quite a few rounds too. Others do the whole process in one day (first auditions in the morning, call backs the afternoon) which is great if you're having to fly over. If your plan is to do another degree first you might be looking at MA courses which differ again in audition processes. They're generally more compact. If you've decided on any particular schools I might have some more specific advice.

Choosing speeches can be irritating. For your contemporary I would advise just seeing a lot of theatre. It's always a relief for an audition panel to hear something new so keep up to date with what's fresh. For your Shakespeare don't the speeches everyone knows and have heard before. It gets boring. I've no idea what age you are but don't choose speeches from characters much older/younger than you, or of the opposite gender. An 18 year old Lady Macbeth talking about her dead children is a bit odd, as is a 30 year old Juliet talking about her first love. And do everything in your own accent, even if the character has a different one. Hearing you speak naturally is one way for the panel to determine if you would suit their training. Worry about accent classes later.

Just enjoy it. Auditioning can be nerve wrecking but the schools want you to do well.
Reply 2
Original post by Teatania
Hey!

I'm actually starting drama school in a few weeks, and I did a drama degree at uni beforehand, AND I'm from Northern Ireland! Haha, wouldn't be surprised if we've already met!

The audition process for each school differs, but only slightly. Some schools have you do one speech, some two, some even three! Most do call backs, places like RADA and LAMDA have quite a few rounds too. Others do the whole process in one day (first auditions in the morning, call backs the afternoon) which is great if you're having to fly over. If your plan is to do another degree first you might be looking at MA courses which differ again in audition processes. They're generally more compact. If you've decided on any particular schools I might have some more specific advice.

Choosing speeches can be irritating. For your contemporary I would advise just seeing a lot of theatre. It's always a relief for an audition panel to hear something new so keep up to date with what's fresh. For your Shakespeare don't the speeches everyone knows and have heard before. It gets boring. I've no idea what age you are but don't choose speeches from characters much older/younger than you, or of the opposite gender. An 18 year old Lady Macbeth talking about her dead children is a bit odd, as is a 30 year old Juliet talking about her first love. And do everything in your own accent, even if the character has a different one. Hearing you speak naturally is one way for the panel to determine if you would suit their training. Worry about accent classes later.

Just enjoy it. Auditioning can be nerve wrecking but the schools want you to do well.

Wow what a coincidence!! Congrats on getting into drama school!! What school are you going to and what schools did you apply to?:biggrin: Was this your first time auditioning? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really excited to hear someone from NI getting into drama school! (I only know one other person from here who did last year!)

I really want to apply to Guildhall and Oxford school of drama but I'd apply anywhere haha Do you remember what schools had the audition and callback the same day? I would like to apply to some of those :smile:

Yes I find it so hard to pick monologues! I keep worrying that I'm choosing monologues that are too popular:s-smilie: I did find the perfect monologue from a play I bought and was so proud of myself but unfortunately the play was written in 1952 and the majority of drama schools request the contemporary one has to be from 1960's onward as you know :frown: So I was thinking if I did a degree I could go to drama school after when I have a much better selection of monologues:rolleyes: But do you find paying for the course hard or can you get a loan? I've never understood this part:s-smilie:

It's so nice hearing that my dream is still achievable haha :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Zango11
Wow what a coincidence!! Congrats on getting into drama school!! What school are you going to and what schools did you apply to?:biggrin: Was this your first time auditioning? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really excited to hear someone from NI getting into drama school! (I only know one other person from here who did last year!)

I really want to apply to Guildhall and Oxford school of drama but I'd apply anywhere haha Do you remember what schools had the audition and callback the same day? I would like to apply to some of those :smile:

Yes I find it so hard to pick monologues! I keep worrying that I'm choosing monologues that are too popular:s-smilie: I did find the perfect monologue from a play I bought and was so proud of myself but unfortunately the play was written in 1952 and the majority of drama schools request the contemporary one has to be from 1960's onward as you know :frown: So I was thinking if I did a degree I could go to drama school after when I have a much better selection of monologues:rolleyes: But do you find paying for the course hard or can you get a loan? I've never understood this part:s-smilie:

This was my first year auditioning. I'm going to Guildford School of Acting. Really loved the atmosphere there and its such a lovely place to live. I applied for Royal Welsh, Drama Centre, Guildford, East 15, Oxford and and Mountview. All very different places and (although it's expensive) I would recommend if it's possible to apply for as many as you can which interest you. Visiting the actual school and working with the tutors and getting a proper feel of the place is almost as important as the audition. You need to know that it's right for you even before you're offered a place otherwise what's the point? East 15 for example, really interesting place, friendly tutors, good audition day but simply not for me. Same went for Drama Centre, though they had a VERY quick first round. In, say one speech, out again, done. Quite annoying when you've flown over!

For the MA course Guildford did the whole process in one day. Workshops and first round auditions in the morning, call back and interview in the afternoon. East 15 was the same, though they didn't interview. Mountview and Oxford did rounds 1 and 2 in the same day but then called you back for a final round on another date. Royal Welsh auditions in two rounds, though you can choose to do your first round in Belfast which saves a bit of travel.

The contemporary speech rule is annoying and some schools even request plays written within the last decade. I'd say the more recent the better. My contemporary speech hasn't even been published yet! I saw it performed as a new write and emailed the company asking for a copy of the script to learn the speech. Keep up to date with what the National Theatre is producing.

You can get a loan but the whole process is very expensive and it can be hard. Though if it's your first degree the student loans company may cover costs which is why I would suggest if you definitely intend on going to drama school not to start another degree if it's just prep. Looking back I would've went straight to drama school, unfortunately though when I finished my a levels I was really aware of the process.
Reply 4
Hi,

I'm also auditioning for drama school for entry in 2015! I am so excited.

I've decided to audition for these drama schools:
RADA, LAMDA, Guildhall, Central, Rose Bruford and Drama Centre - I've visited most of them (with the exception of LAMDA) and although it will cost a bit, it will no doubt be worth the experience if anything. I am also applying to Queen Mary's and University of East Anglia. Have you decided which Drama Schools you're auditioning for?

As for my speeches, I am more prepared on the classical side than on the contemporary, but I am nearly there. What about you?

So nice to hear somebody else is already prepping for auditions - it is so weird to think that they are only a couple of months away.
Reply 5
Hey!

Hi,

Congratulations on your drama school entry!

I am also applying to audition for RADA, LAMDA and Drama Centre and would like to know how you found the audition process for each school? Do you get workshops at most auditions at your first round or do they save that for actors that make it to the 2nd round?

How many contemporary speeches did you learn? It took me a year to find one that I love and I am still having trouble on a 2nd.

Sorry for all the questions ha!
Reply 6
Original post by zoe_l
Hi,

Congratulations on your drama school entry!

I am also applying to audition for RADA, LAMDA and Drama Centre and would like to know how you found the audition process for each school? Do you get workshops at most auditions at your first round or do they save that for actors that make it to the 2nd round?

How many contemporary speeches did you learn? It took me a year to find one that I love and I am still having trouble on a 2nd.

Sorry for all the questions ha!

Thank you! :smile:

Most schools, and definitely the ones you've listed, only have you do your speeches for the first round. Workshops come in later rounds.

I learnt two classic and two contemporary speeches initially so I had options if the panel asked for another. You'll need to be prepared to learn more as you progress as each new round usually requires new speeches in addition to your old ones.

No worries! Happy answer any questions. :smile:
Reply 7
This was my first year auditioning. I'm going to Guildford School of Acting. Really loved the atmosphere there and its such a lovely place to live. I applied for Royal Welsh, Drama Centre, Guildford, East 15, Oxford and and Mountview. All very different places and (although it's expensive) I would recommend if it's possible to apply for as many as you can which interest you. Visiting the actual school and working with the tutors and getting a proper feel of the place is almost as important as the audition. You need to know that it's right for you even before you're offered a place otherwise what's the point? East 15 for example, really interesting place, friendly tutors, good audition day but simply not for me. Same went for Drama Centre, though they had a VERY quick first round. In, say one speech, out again, done. Quite annoying when you've flown over!

For the MA course Guildford did the whole process in one day. Workshops and first round auditions in the morning, call back and interview in the afternoon. East 15 was the same, though they didn't interview. Mountview and Oxford did rounds 1 and 2 in the same day but then called you back for a final round on another date. Royal Welsh auditions in two rounds, though you can choose to do your first round in Belfast which saves a bit of travel.

The contemporary speech rule is annoying and some schools even request plays written within the last decade. I'd say the more recent the better. My contemporary speech hasn't even been published yet! I saw it performed as a new write and emailed the company asking for a copy of the script to learn the speech. Keep up to date with what the National Theatre is producing.

You can get a loan but the whole process is very expensive and it can be hard. Though if it's your first degree the student loans company may cover costs which is why I would suggest if you definitely intend on going to drama school not to start another degree if it's just prep. Looking back I would've went straight to drama school, unfortunately though when I finished my a levels I was really aware of the process.

Did Oxford do the audition in a day or over 2? :smile: wow, that was great the company let you use it! Was it through watching local theatre?:biggrin: When does your course start? I bet you're excited!

Original post by zoe_l
Hi,

I'm also auditioning for drama school for entry in 2015! I am so excited.

I've decided to audition for these drama schools:
RADA, LAMDA, Guildhall, Central, Rose Bruford and Drama Centre - I've visited most of them (with the exception of LAMDA) and although it will cost a bit, it will no doubt be worth the experience if anything. I am also applying to Queen Mary's and University of East Anglia. Have you decided which Drama Schools you're auditioning for?

As for my speeches, I am more prepared on the classical side than on the contemporary, but I am nearly there. What about you?

So nice to hear somebody else is already prepping for auditions - it is so weird to think that they are only a couple of months away.

I'm the same as you, I'm finding it hard to pick a contemporary! I have a few for the classical though lol
Reply 8
Original post by Zango11
Did Oxford do the audition in a day or over 2? :smile: wow, that was great the company let you use it! Was it through watching local theatre?:biggrin: When does your course start? I bet you're excited!

Oxford was over two days. The first day is sort of split into two though. You do a movement workshop and your speeches in the morning. In the afternoon some people are called back for some improvisation and a short interview. They'll contact you afterwards if they want to see you again after which you book a date. You say your speeches again for camera at this point, and a new panel.

I start 29th September. Really excited! Still need to book my flight!

Yep! That's why I suggest just seeing as much theatre as you can. It's great to talk about in your interview and sometimes a speech just jumps out at you. Much more fun than searching through monologue books too.
Hi guys, quick question. How old is too old to apply for drama school? I just turned 26 and I've dabbled in amateur theatre here and there, and I really enjoyed it. I feel that acting is something I would seriously like to pursue with all my energy now. The problem is, I never went to college for acting or anything similar unlike many drama students.

Do most drama schools only accept college/university leavers, or do they accept anyone as long as they have the talent?

I was told to try auditioning for Bristol old vic, as they tend to prefer the older than average student.

Any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WhiteWalker
Hi guys, quick question. How old is too old to apply for drama school? I just turned 26 and I've dabbled in amateur theatre here and there, and I really enjoyed it. I feel that acting is something I would seriously like to pursue with all my energy now. The problem is, I never went to college for acting or anything similar unlike many drama students.

Do most drama schools only accept college/university leavers, or do they accept anyone as long as they have the talent?

I was told to try auditioning for Bristol old vic, as they tend to prefer the older than average student.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There isn't any up age limit for attending drama school. They accept a huge mixture of ages and types. Generally there is usually more younger people on 3 year BA courses since they apply directly from secondary school as you would do with any other university, but so long as your physically capable and the panel likes you there are no restrictions.

Time is of the essence though in acting, that is why there are a number of courses specifically designed for postgraduates or those who have dabbled in the profession for a while. I'll be 25 in November and I've already been to uni so I opted for the one year courses when applying. Bristol Old Vic do offer a 2 year and a 3 year course, I imagine people with a little more experience opt for the 2 year. Royal Welsh, Royal Scottish, Guildford School of Acting, Drama Centre, Drama Studio, East 15, Mountview and Oxford all offer one year courses (usually MA qualifications with the exception of Oxford and Drama Studio). There are more besides that, these are just the big few off the top of my head.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Zango11

I'm starting a drama degree this year at uni but really want to go to a drama school. Are you doing an MA or doing another BA? I don't know if I should wait the 3 years of my degree to start auditioning or audition this year because I'm so desperate to go! Do you think auditioning during my first year of uni would look bad and I'd look like I can't stick to things?
I'm in the same boat I'm starting my first year of uni next week but trying to audition for drama school for a place in 2015. Some of the schools I've been looking at request that the contemporary piece must be form the last 20 years, and I'm really struggling to find something from a published play. I was wondering if anybody else has Thai problem? :smile:
Reply 13
Oxford was over two days. The first day is sort of split into two though. You do a movement workshop and your speeches in the morning. In the afternoon some people are called back for some improvisation and a short interview. They'll contact you afterwards if they want to see you again after which you book a date. You say your speeches again for camera at this point, and a new panel.

I start 29th September. Really excited! Still need to book my flight!

Yep! That's why I suggest just seeing as much theatre as you can. It's great to talk about in your interview and sometimes a speech just jumps out at you. Much more fun than searching through monologue books too.

Don't forget to tell us what the course is like once you start!! Also did you have any dance training before? I have none whatsoever and I'm worried that will hold me back :s-smilie:

Original post by ninecrimes
I'm starting a drama degree this year at uni but really want to go to a drama school. Are you doing an MA or doing another BA? I don't know if I should wait the 3 years of my degree to start auditioning or audition this year because I'm so desperate to go! Do you think auditioning during my first year of uni would look bad and I'd look like I can't stick to things?

Hey welcome to the forum! Are you in your first year of uni? :smile: Well personally I'm auditioning for drama school this year and if I don't get in (which is very likely lol) I think I'll do a drama degree and maybe an MA at drama school after, although that could be expensive :tongue: Have you auditioned for drama school before? :smile:

Original post by Darcy_book
I'm in the same boat I'm starting my first year of uni next week but trying to audition for drama school for a place in 2015. Some of the schools I've been looking at request that the contemporary piece must be form the last 20 years, and I'm really struggling to find something from a published play. I was wondering if anybody else has Thai problem? :smile:

I have this problem!! Every library I go to has no plays so I have to buy loads online to find there's no good monologues or no characters of my age range lol :rolleyes: I find picking the classical monologue so much easier :smile:
Original post by Zango11
Don't forget to tell us what the course is like once you start!! Also did you have any dance training before? I have none whatsoever and I'm worried that will hold me back :s-smilie:

Will do! Packing at the moment, ugh. I have ZERO dance training, and am a bit of a clumsy mover too. Unless you want to train in musical theatre I don't think having a dance background is that important. You do 'movement' rather than dance. It's all about how you use your body to physically perform a role. You might do a bit of jazz or contemporary dance as a means to keep active and enhance your physicality but you'll not have to perform a number.

Darcy_brook
I'm in the same boat I'm starting my first year of uni next week but trying to audition for drama school for a place in 2015. Some of the schools I've been looking at request that the contemporary piece must be form the last 20 years, and I'm really struggling to find something from a published play. I was wondering if anybody else has Thai problem? -

My best advice in looking for contemporary speeches is just to see a lot of new theatre. If you choose a speech from something current it shows you've an active interest in theatre too. The National Theatre is always a great resource. Obviously seeing lots of plays isn't always an option, geographically or financially, so check out theatre reviews in The Guardian or The Stage. You might stumble upon something there that could be worth investigating. Unless the play is very very new (like the final draft only just completed for the show) you're likely to find it published. If the review doesn't tell you a quick Google search or even contacting the producing company will.
Reply 15
Will do! Packing at the moment, ugh. I have ZERO dance training, and am a bit of a clumsy mover too. Unless you want to train in musical theatre I don't think having a dance background is that important. You do 'movement' rather than dance. It's all about how you use your body to physically perform a role. You might do a bit of jazz or contemporary dance as a means to keep active and enhance your physicality but you'll not have to perform a number.

Ah ok! That's good as my dancing is very, very bad :rolleyes: Also, this is a random question but when you were auditioning did you at all make eye contact with the panel? I've assumed that it's preferred not to but I don't know and it's annoying me as I don't want to ruin my chances over something simple haha :smile:
Original post by Zango11
Ah ok! That's good as my dancing is very, very bad :rolleyes: Also, this is a random question but when you were auditioning did you at all make eye contact with the panel? I've assumed that it's preferred not to but I don't know and it's annoying me as I don't want to ruin my chances over something simple haha :smile:

Not random at all, I asked the very same thing. I quite like to make eye contact with some of my speeches so I just asked each panel before i performed if they minded if I looked at them. Some say they didn't mind, others they'd prefer I didn't. Then o adjusted accordingly. Never any harm in asking.
Reply 17
Not random at all, I asked the very same thing. I quite like to make eye contact with some of my speeches so I just asked each panel before i performed if they minded if I looked at them. Some say they didn't mind, others they'd prefer I didn't. Then o adjusted accordingly. Never any harm in asking.

Ah so it just depends on the school? I'll just ask them before hand as well then, thanks! :smile: Don't you start on Monday? :biggrin:

I think I'm going to start applying in October but it feels too early, I can't believe it's time to apply already, it feels like yesterday I had 2 years to wait :eek::s-smilie: haha
Original post by Zango11
Ah so it just depends on the school? I'll just ask them before hand as well then, thanks! :smile: Don't you start on Monday? :biggrin:

I think I'm going to start applying in October but it feels too early, I can't believe it's time to apply already, it feels like yesterday I had 2 years to wait :eek::s-smilie: haha

Yep! Today was moving day, I'm exhausted!

Even if you start applying now you might not be going to any auditions for a while (especially regional auditions) so you probably have a little more time than you think.
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to performance arts connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending