Emily7890
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi. I was sectioned under Section 2 of the Mental Health Act this summer but was discharged after five days and told that I did not suffer from a mental illness. I am worried about the effect this will have on my future career as a doctor. I know the best people to ask would be my medical school but I am petrified of telling them. When I apply for my first job as an F1 do I need to declare it? Is it asked on application forms? Will it be shown in an enhanced crb?

I am also terrified of doing my psychiatry placement next year now. I don't want to go anywhere near a psychiatric hospital or any mental health professional. I feel so distrustful of doctors now, which I know probably sounds ironic. The few days I spent in a ward were so distressing. There was a guy who told me he was going to rape me in my sleep, someone threw a chair at the nursing station window and people were crying and screaming all night. I can't do my psychiatry placement - even the thought of it makes me anxious. I have difficulty going to sleep at the moment as well as I constantly think I am being watched (I was put on one to one observation and then 15 min obs while I was in the ward).

I am also scared about bumping into the doctors I met in the hospital. I only met three - two doctors who sectioned me and my psychiatrist. They are all lecturers at the medical school - that is fine, I can miss lectures. But they are also osce examiners. I also walked past my psychiatrist a few days ago as I was walking through the medical school and I just wanted the ground to swallow me up. I felt like she knew so much about me and was going to tell everyone about how inferior I was as a medic to let myself be sectioned. I know that will never happen cos of confidentiality but I cannot stand the thought of bumping into those doctors ever again. What if I walk into an osce station and they are there? Or supervising one of my projects?

I know no one can really help me with the second part of my post, but I hope someone can help me out with the first few questions. Thanks in advance.
alicexelizabeth
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emily7890)
Hi. I was sectioned under Section 2 of the Mental Health Act this summer but was discharged after five days and told that I did not suffer from a mental illness. I am worried about the effect this will have on my future career as a doctor. I know the best people to ask would be my medical school but I am petrified of telling them. When I apply for my first job as an F1 do I need to declare it? Is it asked on application forms? Will it be shown in an enhanced crb?

I am also terrified of doing my psychiatry placement next year now. I don't want to go anywhere near a psychiatric hospital or any mental health professional. I feel so distrustful of doctors now, which I know probably sounds ironic. The few days I spent in a ward were so distressing. There was a guy who told me he was going to rape me in my sleep, someone threw a chair at the nursing station window and people were crying and screaming all night. I can't do my psychiatry placement - even the thought of it makes me anxious. I have difficulty going to sleep at the moment as well as I constantly think I am being watched (I was put on one to one observation and then 15 min obs while I was in the ward).

I am also scared about bumping into the doctors I met in the hospital. I only met three - two doctors who sectioned me and my psychiatrist. They are all lecturers at the medical school - that is fine, I can miss lectures. But they are also osce examiners. I also walked past my psychiatrist a few days ago as I was walking through the medical school and I just wanted the ground to swallow me up. I felt like she knew so much about me and was going to tell everyone about how inferior I was as a medic to let myself be sectioned. I know that will never happen cos of confidentiality but I cannot stand the thought of bumping into those doctors ever again. What if I walk into an osce station and they are there? Or supervising one of my projects?

I know no one can really help me with the second part of my post, but I hope someone can help me out with the first few questions. Thanks in advance.
First of all, I am very sorry to hear that you have been going through such a difficult time recently. I hope that you are looking after yourself and are at least seeing your GP regularly.

To answer your queries. Mental illness, past or present, should not really be used to discriminate against you when it comes to applying to jobs, unless it impairs your ability to practice safely. I think it would be sensible to talk to someone at your medical school, as they may suggest an occupational health assessment. Talking to a pastoral tutor would also be a good idea as they can help support you.

I am not sure whether a Section would come up on a CRB. A quick google suggests it may do. I would seek further advice on this, I am sure someone at your medical school will know. Probably admissions as they deal with CRBs a lot. If it does come up, again what your employer may do is make sure you have an occupational health assessment before you start work, to make sure you are ready and safe to work.

As for psych placements, I am not sure whether you would be able to get out of them. This could potentially be an Extenuating Circumstances type thing, but to complete your degree I think it is compulsory to have some psychiatric exposure and training. I think this is something that would be good to talk about with a pastoral tutor, or perhaps a counsellor so you can address your fears. Remember, it is very different being on the "other side", so to speak.

The bumping into doctors thing, again, it is something you need to talk about with someone. It may be impossible to avoid them. You know yourself they are bound by confidentiality, and I don't think they would even be thinking you were inferior in any way, so forget that.

Finally, you may find this guidance from the GMC helpful:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/23289.asp
annread
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emily7890)

Hi Emily, I have PM you my advice. Hope it helps
blueandpink
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the previous poster has given good advice.

I am sorry that you went through this and I hope you are feeling better.

Re to seeing your doctors in your osces/project supervisor, ask the medical school if something can be done about this. I can't remember exactly what happened at uni, but in my post grad exams/interviews they mentioned that if you know an examiner or interviewer who may affect your performance to let them know before hand and they can swap you into a different circuit. this was in the context of previously working for them and they may be biased when marking you. my consultant made sure myself and my colleagues were not going to be interviewed by him. I'm sure it works for other situations such as this.

Good luck x
Dennis Woodhouse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
agree a large number of nhs psychiatry wards leave a lot to be desired.A friend of mine at medical school needed admission under the MHA and I know the medical school allowed him to do his psychiatry placement at a different hospital.I think it was the case that your physician as a patient was also your examiner that this would be a conflict of interest that should be declared (?via the dean).Lastly don't forget as physicians as a group we have higher rates of some mental ill health than other occupations and its always sensible to have good links with your own GP/Occupational Health.
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A section 2 or 3 is not shown on any CRB. On an enhanced CRB they can see police sections (called a section 135 or a section 136). If the police brought you in against your will prior to the Section 2 order then this will be flagged. Even if this was the case, if the outcome was no mental illness, there is nothing to do.

I personally do not believe there is any reason to declare that you were detained under Section 2 if the outcome of the assessment was there was no underlying psychiatric illness. If you have an underlying psychiatric diagnosis you will need to declare this but the occupational health form identifies diagnosis, not legal assessment framework. That said the purpose of occupational health assessment is to help identify and help people with physical, psychological, or other disabilities, not as a discrimination against people with genuine illness, so your fear is somewhat irrational regarding this.

Last of all you certainly will have absolutely no chance to not do psychiatry because you had a short personal experience in a psychiatric hospital. This will need to be something you will need to work on as you certainly cannot have dispensation to not do it as a medical student.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have to admit before my finals I had a verbal fight with a doctor who on my last day signed me off but gave me a fourty five minute talk on how bad I was compared to the others based on a mock OSCE that was done weeks before despite telling me no concerns or giving any help for the two months I was there. I lost it with them and told them my mind and this was my last day and last memory of my university.

I was aware that if I flagged up the concern it would probably worsen the situation for myself so I stayed quiet hoping they would not be there. So yes they turned up in the exam and I had this evil doctor who hated me and I am sure they marked me down. I did not even report it afterwards but I was contemplating. It really did stress me out but worst of all I still remember it badly even though it was several years ago despite passing.

Thankfully I have moved on to better things but bear in mind there is a massive conflict of interest when you have a supervising consultant or registrar has power over you. They signs all your forms, they know the team and the managers, and if you complain against them and they are complaining against you - you will lose. In a direct fight I guarantee them you will be ignored or worse find yourself being labelled as the problem so I would think hard before reporting a supervising consultant.
Emily7890
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks everyone for replying.

I think I may have made myself unclear - I know I don't have a choice but to do my psych placement, I am just incredibly nervous for it. I guess I'll just have to man up so to speak.

As for my doctors beingg examiners, I'm not sure if anything can be done. The doctors are not allowed to be examiners in specialities for their own stations - this means that my psychiatrists can be examiners in any stations but the psych one which leaves a lot of room! As there are specific stations idk if I can ask to have a different examiner. However, I do realise that I need to discuss this with the medical school.

I am just vary of them because when I have gone previously for help, fitness to practice has always come up and I have felt very scared by it. I understand that they have to bring it up though.

As for a crb, I assumed that a section 2 would come under an enhanced crb as it involves working with vulnerable people etc. again I know I need to discuss this with the medical school.

Thanks again for the replies though, I have calmed down a bit. It is just frustrating that I have been sectioned even tho I am not ill!
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
An enhanced crb is a police record and therefore only picks up police section (135/136).

Psychiatrist and police do not communicate. They will not tell me the forensic history and psychiatrists will not tell the police patients psychiatric history. This means that section 2 or 3 will never appear on any crb as the police have no record.

Next time when you need support go to your gp not to the medical school welfare rubbish. Best of luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (53)
66.25%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
13.75%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
8.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.25%

Watched Threads