The Student Room Group

PGCE requirements

Hi there,

I'm currently studying Education Studies & Sport and after next year will be hoping to get onto a PGCE course.

But one problem popped up last year was the in Wales they have upped the minimum requirements for the PGCE to have GCSE grades in English & Maths of B or equivalent.

My university offer the PGCE and I was wondering if they would overlook myself only having a C in Maths of a high grade was achieved and due to me already being in the Univeristy?

Also another question is that; I achieved a C in GCSE English Literature but took English Lang & Lit for A level and received a C, would this class as an equivalent for the requirements needed?

Thanks.
Original post by lawzt
Hi there,

I'm currently studying Education Studies & Sport and after next year will be hoping to get onto a PGCE course.

But one problem popped up last year was the in Wales they have upped the minimum requirements for the PGCE to have GCSE grades in English & Maths of B or equivalent.

My university offer the PGCE and I was wondering if they would overlook myself only having a C in Maths of a high grade was achieved and due to me already being in the Univeristy?

Also another question is that; I achieved a C in GCSE English Literature but took English Lang & Lit for A level and received a C, would this class as an equivalent for the requirements needed?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I think it's worth speaking to the university but from my knowledge I don't think it matters what you got in A-Levels or even your degree, if you don't have the grades at GCSE level. Some universities accept equivalency tests so you could look into those, or re-sitting your GCSEs...alternatively, do your PGCE in England where you only need C grades!

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by bellylaugh
alternatively, do your PGCE in England where you only need C grades!

That is an option I've thought of - just would prefer to stay in the same university.

I would love to resit my Maths GCSE but I was only taught foundation maths which the highest grade available was the C grade, which I achieved. I'm sure after a few years absent from Maths and trying to learn a higher module of Maths by a tutor in a space of a year will prove very difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending