The Student Room Group

PGCE - Requirement to watch teaching in state secondary school?!

Hey Guys;

Well, I am about to start my second year at uni doing biomed and when I finish, want to do my PGCE and have noticed that one of the requirements is "have visited and observed science lessons and teachers in a state secondary school;".

How do you get this?!

EDIT:
I ask because I can't see myself when I'm 21/22 walking up to a school and getting permission to sit in on lessons before I even start my PGCE...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You ask the schools if you can...and ask and ask and ask. You eventually find a few that are willing to take you.

Also http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/school-experience/sep
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, I am about to start my second year at uni doing biomed and when I finish, want to do my PGCE and have noticed that one of the requirements is "have visited and observed science lessons and teachers in a state secondary school;".

How do you get this?!

EDIT:
I ask because I can't see myself when I'm 21/22 walking up to a school and getting permission to sit in on lessons before I even start my PGCE...

you write to schools. Almost everyone who starts a PGCE has some school experience before starting
Original post by jelly1000
you write to schools. Almost everyone who starts a PGCE has some school experience before starting

I do (Was a TA at Sixth Form teaching year 7-8 for 2 years) but it says it has to be recent experience (within 2 years of starting your PGCE).
Original post by Scienceisgood
I do (Was a TA at Sixth Form teaching year 7-8 for 2 years) but it says it has to be recent experience (within 2 years of starting your PGCE).

What I meant by that though is that almost everyone will have experience in a school they weren't studying at. Maybe ask your old school if they would take you back for a bit?
Reply 5
In the summer you can ask some schools to observe.

After my degree I worked as a TA for a full academic year before applying for the PGCE. You can do that if you dont mind taking a year out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending