Everyone can learn maths to the highest level.

Watch
Poll: Everyone can learn maths to the highest level.
I'm a maths teacher and I agree. (0)
0%
I'm a maths teacher and I disagree. (7)
17.5%
I'm not a maths teacher and I agree. (2)
5%
I'm not a maths teacher and I disagree. (31)
77.5%
BabyMaths
  • Study Helper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you agree with the statement in the thread title?
Alex347_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. I probably tried the hardest in Maths out of all my GCSE's and achieved only a C. Whereas in History I did no revision and got 98%. I got mostly A*/A overall as well. Me and numbers just do not get along.
Iggy Azalea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I suffer from dyscalculia and I couldn't get higher than a C at GCSE, despite support and weeks of hard work.

So I disagree.
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Although this kind of goes against it,

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true."- Bertrand Russell

... I agree with that statement.
Posted from TSR Mobile
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends what you define as the 'highest level'.
BabyMaths
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
I wish I'd included another option: I'm a mathematician and I dis/agree.

Can I edit the poll?
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely not.
YanaIguana
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hopeless at maths. I get really anxious whenever I have to answer a mathematical question and it usually takes me a long time to work out (even with a calculater).

Granted I've never had a brilliant maths teacher who would sit with me individually to help me solve and understand questions. However, I remember being terrible at maths from a very young age.

With extremely hard work I managed to get a B at GCSE which I'm very proud of. I admire all those who take Maths at A level and beyond.
BabyMaths
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
What do the maths teachers think?

(Original post by Mr M)
(Original post by TenOfThem)
(Original post by notnek)
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
(Original post by gdunne42)
(Original post by brianeverit)
(Original post by m4ths/maths247)
Sorry if I forgot anyone.
universal_set
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am a mathematician and I can say that if you have passion for maths then in current modern era (thanks to information technology) you can achieve a good level in maths but I can't deny the importance of a teacher/lecturer/professor etc because a good teacher is like a source of light in the darkness. Being a dyslexic I find many problems while learning a new mathematical topic but I do discussion on several maths forums which helps a lot, & in the end I can explain things mathematically and intuitively.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Isn't this question easy to answer? Clearly everyone can't. They might have a massive brain injury for a start.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BabyMaths)
I disagree
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BabyMaths)
I disagree. How about you?
BabyMaths
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by notnek)
I disagree. How about you?
I disagree too but I do try to keep an open mind about what a student might achieve.
William Turtle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Highest level.. Well no. I think everyone (obvious exceptions aside) could certainly manage A level maths with proper encouragement from an early age. A lot of people seem to associate maths with the trauma of not understanding, and making mistakes, when they're younger. It's surely why some adults get anxious about having to solve mathematical problems.

Improper treatment from parents/teachers who are unforgiving when the child doesn't understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
puccalove123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths at the highest level actually doesn't involve numbers. It basically collapses into logic. So you do not necessarily have to be good at mental arithmetic. In fact I know plenty of Math grads who can't add! However having just done a symbolic logic course. I can tell you it ain't easy and definitely requires a certain kind of mind. So on balance I'd say no
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (278)
33.94%
No (541)
66.06%

Watched Threads