The Student Room Group

Differentiation Quotient rule

There is a question I am getting answers for but, when requires to differentiate it again to find a stationary point, it doesn't really work out well, so any help would be great:

Differentiate: (x+3)/(x^2+9)^1/2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dd1234
There is a question I am getting answers for but, when requires to differentiate it again to find a stationary point, it doesn't really work out well, so any help would be great:

Differentiate: (x+3)/(x^2+9)^1/2

Is that the specific question - find any stationary points of the function?

tbh it's just an algebra slog - you'll need to post some working if you want someone to check it.

One thing to note is that if you need a fraction to be 0 then the numerator has to be 0, so if you clear any fractions (i.e. negative indices) that occur in the numerator you can pretty much ignore the denominator in your calculations.
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Is that the specific question - find any stationary points of the function?

tbh it's just an algebra slog - you'll need to post some working if you want someone to check it.

One thing to note is that if you need a fraction to be 0 then the numerator has to be 0, so if you clear any fractions (i.e. negative indices) that occur in the numerator you can pretty much ignore the denominator in your calculations.

The stationary points are the second part, I just need help with the differentiation here is what I have done, but not sure if the answer is right:
v'=1/2*2x*(x^2+9)=x/((x^2+9)^1/2)
u'=1

So using the quotient rule:

((x^2+9)^1/2*1 - x/((x^2+9)^1/2)*(x+3))/x^2+9

=((x+3)-(x^2+3x)/((x^2+9)^1/2))/x^2+9

That's what I have so far, but the two fractions on top of each other has got me into a bit of a mess with the algebra, which is what I need help with,

Thanks
Original post by dd1234
The stationary points are the second part, I just need help with the differentiation here is what I have done, but not sure if the answer is right:
u'=1

That's what I have so far, but the two fractions on top of each other has got me into a bit of a mess with the algebra, which is what I need help with,

Thanks

urgh

LaTex would be nice

Are you differentiating

x+3x2+9\dfrac{x+3}{\sqrt{x^2+9}}

I am not sure why you have a fraction over a fraction - but I cannot really tell what you have

Looking again at your differentiation - you need to either

Just put numerator = 0

OR

multiply through by x2+9\sqrt{x^2+9}

DO you have x2+9x2+3xx2+9\sqrt{x^2+9}-\frac{x^2+3x}{\sqrt{x^2+9}} as your numerator?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dd1234
u'=1

Thanks

I haven't checked your algebra (about to go offline!), but if what you've done so far is correct, then just multiply top and bottom by (x^2 + 9)^1/2 and then set the numerator equal to 0 - see if it leads you to the correct answer (do you have the answer(s) for this question?)
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
urgh

LaTex would be nice

Are you differentiating

I am not sure why you have a fraction over a fraction - but I cannot really tell what you have

Just put numerator = 0

OR

Agh sorry I don't really know how to do that on here, but I will try that , thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by davros
I haven't checked your algebra (about to go offline!), but if what you've done so far is correct, then just multiply top and bottom by (x^2 + 9)^1/2 and then set the numerator equal to 0 - see if it leads you to the correct answer (do you have the answer(s) for this question?)

Okay, I will try that out, no I don't but I can check if it works through the next question as it is the "show that" kind,
thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 7
urgh

LaTex would be nice

Are you differentiating

Just put numerator = 0

OR

DO you have x2+9x2+3xx2+9\sqrt{x^2+9}-\frac{x^2+3x}{\sqrt{x^2+9}} as your numerator?

Yes I am differentiating that, when you say multiply through by that, is that after using the quotient rule, or should I do it before hand?
Original post by dd1234
Yes I am differentiating that, when you say multiply through by that, is that after using the quotient rule, or should I do it before hand?

after
Reply 9
after

Is it possible for you to show the algebra leading up to this, because I think I went wrong somewhere?
Original post by dd1234
Is it possible for you to show the algebra leading up to this, because I think I went wrong somewhere?

Well, I wouldn't bother - I would just put the numerator = 0
Reply 11
Well, I wouldn't bother - I would just put the numerator = 0

From the beginning? so we just ignore the denominator?
Original post by dd1234
From the beginning? so we just ignore the denominator?

No, once you have differentiated
Reply 13
No, once you have differentiated

Once I differentiate, I get a fraction on top a fraction as shown above, I get the answer ( sorry I can't do LaTex right now):

((x+3)-(x^2+3x)/((x^2+9)^1/2))/x^2+9

This was through the Quotient rule, I think if you do it through the quotient rule, you would get this also, because the derivative of v ( (x^2+9)^1/2 is a fraction due to the negative power,
so am I equating the numerator of this to zero now
and ignoring the x^2+9 ?
Original post by dd1234
Once I differentiate, I get a fraction on top a fraction as shown above, I get the answer ( sorry I can't do LaTex right now):

This was through the Quotient rule, I think if you do it through the quotient rule, you would get this also, because the derivative of v ( (x^2+9)^1/2 is a fraction due to the negative power,
and ignoring the x^2+9 ?

Simplify your expression, you should just get a nice:

dydx=3(3x)(x2+9)32\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{3(3-x)}{(x^2+9)^{\frac{3}{2}}}.

All you have to do then is equate 3(3x)3(3-x) to zero.
Reply 15
Original post by CTArsenal
Simplify your expression, you should just get a nice:

dydx=3(3x)(x2+9)32\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{3(3-x)}{(x^2+9)^{\frac{3}{2}}}.

All you have to do then is equate 3(3x)3(3-x) to zero.

Thanks, is that all I have to do- that's the differentiated expression?
Original post by dd1234
Thanks, is that all I have to do- that's the differentiated expression?

Yes, that's the expression you already had but simplified, look to see how you can rearrange yours to get that.
Reply 17
Original post by CTArsenal
Yes, that's the expression you already had but simplified, look to see how you can rearrange yours to get that.

Ok thanks, just why do we have to equate the numerator to zero?
Original post by dd1234

and ignoring the x^2+9 ?

So your numerator is what I posted in post 4

Set this = 0 and solve

Numerator is all that matters since 0/something = 0
Reply 19
So your numerator is what I posted in post 4

Set this = 0 and solve

Numerator is all that matters since 0/something = 0

Why am I solving anything, the question asked me to differentiate only? .

Quick Reply

Latest