The Student Room Group

Aldi/Lidl... Anyone worked there?

I'm wondering whether anyone has worked at Aldi or Lidl, and can tell me what it's like? I see the pay is a lot higher than most supermarkets, so I'm guess it's somewhat more demanding? And, do they employ christmas or part-time staff? Just everytime I go in, I see the same old skeleton crew of about five employees... But they're the only supermarkets within walking distance of me and I'm thinking about giving them my CV.

Thanks for any help! x
Reply 1
As you said, pay is a lot higher (£8 p/h in Aldi), so there is an awful lot of competition. From what I know, it is more demanding, because everyone does everything i.e. tills, merchandising, tidying, etc. They will employ part-timers if it is what their business needs at the time. The best way, really, is to ask. Ask for an app form before giving a CV though, as app forms give you a better chance!
Reply 2
I think the difference with those stores is that you have to memorise item prices in your mind, which isn't too hard but it's different to the likes of ASDA? :biggrin:
Reply 3
becen
I think the difference with those stores is that you have to memorise item prices in your mind, which isn't too hard but it's different to the likes of ASDA? :biggrin:

That used to be true, but not anymore. Certainly in our Aldi they had their systems upgraded so that it works like any till: the price just comes up automatically.
Reply 4
omg. i could never memorise every price item. i would make so many mistakes.
Reply 5
my local lidl was hiring sometime back and they paid well. 7.xx/hour. the work is quite demanding coz you are required to move some heavy stuff and all that. but checkouts should be the same as other supermarkets but yeah, you have to do everything.
Reply 6
becen

Hahh, if that was still the case, I wouldn't even consider working there - I have the memory of a sieve! Ours were all upgraded about three-years ago.

But yeah, I guessed there'd be more involved... Which can't be a bad thing, as it would probably make the time pass quicker.
Reply 7
i saw in an advert they payed £7 an hour - is this really true then? I didn't think it would pay that much as it's smaller than supermarkets like tescos, etc?
Reply 8
LinziP123
i saw in an advert they payed £7 an hour - is this really true then? I didn't think it would pay that much as it's smaller than supermarkets like tescos, etc?

Not sure about Lidl, but on Aldi's web site, it says the hourly rate is '£7.40 rising to £8.70 (plus London weighting)' which is pretty darn good in comparison with the likes of Morrison's. But like other people have said, it's because the shop assistant role is more than just checkouts, plus it probably works out cheaper to employ less staff but pay more.

Edit: Lidl pay an hourly rate of up to £7.80 for shop assistants.
Reply 9
what does london weighting mean
Reply 10
london people get more, since it's more expensive in london...
I work at lidle and we have to memorise a large amount of codes for veg and all the bakery since they don't have bar codes, then after a few weeks of training you go to a test centre for an assessment. After the first month it gets easier but I have on average 3 5oclock starts a week that are demanding.
Geordies must be perpetually confused that "Aldi" is not open 24 hours a day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending