Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    BIG RON QUITS ITV OVER 'RACIST' JIBE
    Football pundit Ron Atkinson has resigned from ITV Sport after making racist comments off-air after last night's game between Chelsea and Monaco, a spokesman for the channel said tonight.

Atkinson was said to be ``devastated and very sorry'' for any offence caused and offered his resignation to his ITV bosses immediately.

The spokesman said: ``We do not in any way condone the comments in question, which were not broadcast as part of ITV's coverage but were made in an off-air conversation after the game.''

The spokesman said: ``It was a regrettable lapse by a respected and experienced broadcaster who has been part of the ITV sports team for many years.

``We have discussed the situation with Ron Atkinson, who is devastated and very sorry for any offence caused by his comments.

``He immediately offered his resignation which we have accepted.''

Credit: Sportinglife.com

thank **** for that, no more aimless drivel when watchin football

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what he said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    BIG RON QUITS ITV OVER 'RACIST' JIBE
    Football pundit Ron Atkinson has resigned from ITV Sport after making racist comments off-air after last night's game between Chelsea and Monaco, a spokesman for the channel said tonight.

Atkinson was said to be ``devastated and very sorry'' for any offence caused and offered his resignation to his ITV bosses immediately.

The spokesman said: ``We do not in any way condone the comments in question, which were not broadcast as part of ITV's coverage but were made in an off-air conversation after the game.''

The spokesman said: ``It was a regrettable lapse by a respected and experienced broadcaster who has been part of the ITV sports team for many years.

``We have discussed the situation with Ron Atkinson, who is devastated and very sorry for any offence caused by his comments.

``He immediately offered his resignation which we have accepted.''

Credit: Sportinglife.com

thank **** for that, no more aimless drivel when watchin football
    eeek! i wonder what he said!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i wanna know what he said

ReputationRep:
    yeah i wanna know what he said
    hopefully it will come out in the tabloids

ReputationRep:
    Something about Desailly apparently...

ReputationRep:
    i heard he called desailly a "****ing lazy ******"

ReputationRep:
    i heard he called desailly a "****ing lazy ******"
    well he didn't play great, but there was no need for him to say it like that

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's just handbags that is...

http://www.thinkclear.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Those comments were unacceptable but I think we all felt that to some extent after his terrible performance.

ReputationRep:
    I've just watched Room 101 on BBC 2 tonight with Big Ron as the guest.

Is this the new 'bolder' BBC's attempt at irony?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I've just watched Room 101 on BBC 2 tonight with Big Ron as the guest.

Is this the new 'bolder' BBC's attempt at irony?!?
    yeah i thought that

maybe Ron is trying to get himself on MOTD

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought that

maybe Ron is trying to get himself on MOTD
    Is that the BBC's new employment strategy? "You maybe racist, but as we cant afford Des Lynam, you'll do".

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kingslaw]I've just watched Room 101 on BBC 2 tonight with Big Ron as the guest.

Two appearances on BBC in a week after appearing on question of sport last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Is that the BBC's new employment strategy? "You maybe racist, but as we cant afford Des Lynam, you'll do".
    Des Lynam is almost as shite as Ron

ReputationRep:
    I always thought he was a bit creepy anyway so good riddance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    That Room 101 is a repeat, I saw it ages ago, unless he's done another.
    Yeah, it was a repeat. Still seemed a curious choice to show considering the news. It cant be difficult just to show a different repeat.

ReputationRep:
    yeh and the edition of room 101 was scheduled in the tv guide ages ago before it happened so its just quite ironic, not intentionally done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious stuff)
    Des Lynam is almost as shite as Ron
    At least Des doesnt pretend to know how to commentate a football match. I preferd him at the BBC. Then again, I prefered MOTD showing highlights to The Premiership.

Maybe I'm just a snob though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Actually, I'd rather grown to like Big Ron. Despite his comedy catchphrases, he did actually talk sense.
    no he never talked sense

but his catchphrases were :cool:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.